Waiting Doldrums

Clutch
on 10/2/17 10:46 am

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum but was referred to the program at TWH in September, 2016 :)

My journey has been uncomplicated with smooth appointments, but long...and the last few months have been tough.

My dietician said surgery is usually 3-5 months from meeting the surgeon. I meet Dr. Urbach November 10th, hopefully. My last appointment was in July. It's dragging, and I'm dragging lol.

I have to just live my best now, be patient, and thankful for the opportunity. But some 5 year old part of my brain throwing a tantrum to imagine waiting until next Spring!

I'd been going to the support groups regularly but haven't gone as a result of this blah attitude.

I imagine nearly everyone feels/felt this way waiting. I guess I just wanted to vent.

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/17 12:00 pm

Hi there ...TWH ...yay!

I know it is frustrating .... but time does pass quickly and a new life is around the corner....

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/17 12:58 pm - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

I haven't been waiting as long as you, yet...but I too am feeling it. I think once you make the decision that you really, truly want this it's really difficult to wait.

I'm also going through TWH and the more I hear about the wait the more anxious I get. I look at blogs and watch YouTube videos but don't want to get obsessed either.

I have the nutrition class on the 17th then look forward to the last 2 appointments. I'm hopeful that I will find out when they are on that day.

Hope the surgeon's meeting goes well.

Smoka
on 10/2/17 1:04 pm
RNY on 09/12/17

Hi Clutch,

Yes, waiting is really really hard.

I was referred last May 2016 and just had my surgery almost three weeks ago. Yes, they say once you meet the surgeon it can go fairly quickly. It depends on your centre I suppose. I had my surgery 6 days after meeting with the surgeon because I was put on a cancellation list and I didn't need the Opti. I was so incredibly grateful and relieved that things were finally moving along. Today I feel great and thrilled with the journey so far. Everyone's journey is different, but one thing is for sure...you will get the surgery. Hang in there. Go to the meetings and keep posting on the forum.

I'll be thinking of you and wish you all the best. It will happen.

Barb

Referred May 2016, Orientation July 4, 2016, Pre-Nutrition Class March 31, 2017, Nurse April 10, 2017, Blood work/ECG April 13, 2017, Ultra-sound April 27, 2017, Psychologist May 30, 2017, Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy June 5, 2017, Internist June 13, 2017, Dietician June 14, 2017, 2nd Round of blood work August 2, 2017, Surgeon September 6, 2017, Surgery September 12, 2017 - St. Joe's Hamilton - No Opti

Height 5"4" HW 231 SW222 CW141

PreOp-9 lbs M1-20lbs M2-11lbs M3-13lbs M4-7lbs M5-8lbs M6-7lbs M7-5lbs M8-5lbs M9-2lbs M10-0lbs M11 - 0lbs M12 - 0lbs

terrylynnishere
on 10/2/17 1:13 pm

YES, the waiting is the hardest part until surgery happens. Like you I was going crazy waiting for the day to arrive, but I decided to use the time to work on my eating habits, and get out walking regularly because both of those things are going to monumentally important after your surgery is completed.

Look at this as an opportunity to make sure your ready for the commitment involved for this life changing event that is going to take place. Dare to dream about the life you are going to have once this all is behind you.

I assure you it's worth it.

Best wishes for a successful journey

Vertical sleeve, Sept 15

oneatatime
on 10/2/17 4:46 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Welcome to the forums! I'm glad you found us.

Yes, waiting is the hardest part of this journey. It does tend to drag on. November 10 will hopefully come quickly for you.

If your schedule is flexible and you are interested in being put on a cancellation list for surgery, you can ask the nurse Sharon when you go to the November 10 appointment. Just make sure you speak with Sharon as she's the one who manages the list. If you get a different nurse, you can ask for her. I did, and got my surgery in just a few weeks after my Meet the Surgeon appointment.

Hang in there... the best is yet to come!!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

eLoon77
on 10/2/17 5:43 pm
RNY on 09/22/17

I agree with the above posters Sharon at TWH is a good person to get on your side. Tell her you're anxious and tell her, if you are ok with that, that you'd like a cancellation. I can completely relate with your frustration. The waiting was very difficult for me and my family. I have some mobility issues and a BMI over 50 and it was a difficult time waiting it out for almost 2 years. All I can offer is solidarity and to let you know I'm just over a week out. So it does eventually happen!!

In the words of Tom Petty "the waiting is the hardest part". That song was always in my head through this journey.

"The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you see one more card
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part"

Feb 17/16 - orientation TWH | March 3/16 - nurse | Nov 22/16 - Phone call f/u re-entry | Oct 18/16 - nurse | Nov 29/16 - nut class | Feb 16/17 - social worker | March 7/17 - nut apt | March 22/17 - psych apt | March 30/17 - team approved | May 5/17 - surgeon apt | June 8/17 - endoscopy | Sept 22/17 SURGERY RNY @TWH

RosieBelly
on 10/2/17 7:32 pm

Hey Clutch - I feel your pain! I have completed all my appointments, all my tests and now I am waiting to meet the surgeon.....and my inner voice is five as well and wants ice cream!!

Clutch
on 10/3/17 9:15 am

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Most Active
Recent Topics