Green Light - Surgery Straight Ahead

Tigress29
on 10/9/17 4:32 pm

I am so excited. I just go the call last Thursday that I have the green light and am approved for surgery!!

I had been waiting so long for that call and now that I have it I am nervous about getting the surgery. Maybe I can do this on my own? Should I really risk my life for this surgery? What if I don't pull through? What if I pain afterwards is more than I can take?

UGH!!!!! So many questions and the answers keep changing. I'm going to drive myself crazy with all this.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am HAPPY I got the green light but I can't quite celebrate just yet.

Am I normal or just royally F***ed-up...who knows.

Referral October 2015, TWH Orientation December 7 2015, Nurse & Social Worker Feb 25 2016, Nutrition Class Apr 11 2016, Psychiatrist Apr 13 2016, Surgery Feb 14 2017, Surgery Postponed Jan 29 2017, Psychiatrist Oct 5 2017, Nurse Oct 25 2017, Meet the Surgeon Feb 2 2018, Revision Surgery Date April 10 2018

HW 336

TheRealMeWithin
on 10/9/17 4:50 pm - Canada
RNY on 06/02/17

those thoughts are completely normal, to question such a huge life decision as it nears.
My thoughts on your post are that you seem to have been in the TWH program for a very long time. I have no idea why, and its clearly not any of my business, but maybe its time to just take the plunge! I am honestly tell you that it is the BEST thing that I ever did for myself - BY FAR!

Surgery Jun.2/17 at TWH ----- HW 215 - SW 197.2 - GW 125 CW 124.6

Pre-Op=8.8lbs --- Optifast= 8.4 (was on it for 9 days due to cancellation)

M1 - 20.6... M2 -10.2... M3 -8.0... M4 -5.8... M5 -9.0... M6 -5.2... M7 -7.0... M8 -2.2... M9 -0.9... M10 -2.6... M11-0.6... M12-2.0

https://trendweight.com/u/6ffd55753da24d/

Tigress29
on 10/9/17 5:02 pm

Thanks for replying. I have been in the program way too long - that is the truth. And I know I am doing the right thing but I'm scared. I am happy to hear from someone who actually had the surgery. I know I need to do this... the sooner the better.

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/17 4:50 pm - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

Yeah!!!

I'm sure your thoughts are totally normal after all it's a huge decision. You are willingly putting yourself at risk by having surgery but aren't you also putting yourself at risk every day by remaining overweight?

As for being able to do it yourself...well, you've tried and tried and now this is the next step to finding a healthier and happier you.

Just my two cents and once I'm in your shoes I know I'll be freaking out too. ??

Tigress29
on 10/9/17 5:07 pm

Thanks for replying. And I agree with you. The answers are exactly what I've been telling myself but I am freaking out. Completely freaking out!

When the surgeon's office calls I will be beside myself with happiness and holy hell this is real.

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/17 6:12 pm

The fact that you have these doubts means IMO that you are ready- lol- it is very normal to have those doubts.. this is big.. you are realistic and that is good! Take care and congrats!!!

Manda32
on 10/10/17 2:13 am

You are totally normal!

Were in such a hurry to get approvals, and then it hits us. Were going to have surgery. For me it didn't really hit me until I met the Surgeon, and got my surgery date five weeks later. I was excited for the most part, but then it hit me.

You'll second guess your decision, I think we all do, and have those thoughts. Surgery is a serious thing, and no one should ever take it lightly. Only you know what is best for you, but again second guessing is completely normal.

I can only speak for myself, I had all those thoughts you did, but I wanted a better life. Truthfully, is there a very small chance you could have serious complication or even death...yes, but for me, my thought on that was, if I stay at this weight or increase, I'm sure I'm not going to live a full life or have a good quality of life. I could become diabetic, have high blood pressure, other medical issues, that will impeed my quality of life. At the end of the day the new me, and better life, out weighed the risk. Only you can decide what you can accept to live with.

I am so happy I did this, and I have no regrets.

I wish you all the best of luck!

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Tuktu
on 10/10/17 7:17 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Congrats on getting the call that you are approved for surgery. You and you alone can make this decision if this is the right move for you. You need to educate yourself and read all the success stories and also the struggles people have. Surgery can come with complications but so can remaining overweight for years. I was very worried about the surgery at first but I asked alot of questions and once I felt I got the answers I wanted then I put aside the worry and just couldn't wait for the surgery. You are very normal and if you weren't questioning your decision I would think you were not taking this seriously and not giving it the importance this decision deserves. It is a major lifestyle change and its not easy, but its well worth it. I don't regret having the surgery at all. Best thing I've ever done!

Kathy1212
on 10/10/17 7:20 am

I was terrified of the surgery as I'd never had surgery before, except getting my tonsils removed when I was 3 years old.

I got myself through the process by telling myself I could change my mind at any time. I was still telling myself that when I woke up from surgery, lol, when it was too late.

I am so amazingly grateful that I did not chicken out. This surgery has been the best thing I've ever done for myself, ever. I've got my health back, my self esteem back, and basically my life back.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active
Recent Topics