Hello from Penny

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/17 1:42 am

Hello,

I am a newbie here but also very excited to be here.

I was approved last month for St Joe's in Hamilton and I am waiting on that magic date, phone call so I can do pre op and get started. I received my reference in Janurary of 2016. This was my third attempt to be approved. Not all requests were with Hamilton. Finally this time I passed.

I am hoping for a end of December date so I can finish my semester classes. I just went back to school after several years.

I have learned so much from reading everyones success and struggles. Even the most difficult ones still inspire me. I am ready for this next journey along with school.

Happy to be here,

Penny

Meggles07
on 10/11/17 3:56 am - Canada

I was in school when I had my surgery as well. I ended up having surgery in March. I had hoped to have it during winter or spring break instead but it didn't work out. I probably took off about two weeks. Thankfully I didn't have any courses that term -- I was TAing some courses do a friend helped cover an exam for me. I could do work at home I just didn't feel much like driving or sitting in my office for a while. But it is totally doable!! :) Good luck!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/17 5:48 pm

Thank you for the luck wishes. School might not be a issue soon. Looks like a strike is coming.

Meggles07
on 10/11/17 5:51 pm - Canada

Positive thoughts -- hoping the strike doesn't happen and they can agree on a contract. Still four more days!! My brother is in college and is stressing out, but it will all work out :)

Smoka
on 10/11/17 4:04 am
RNY on 09/12/17

Hi Penny,

I went through Hamilton as well. Good luck with everything.

Barb

Referred May 2016, Orientation July 4, 2016, Pre-Nutrition Class March 31, 2017, Nurse April 10, 2017, Blood work/ECG April 13, 2017, Ultra-sound April 27, 2017, Psychologist May 30, 2017, Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy June 5, 2017, Internist June 13, 2017, Dietician June 14, 2017, 2nd Round of blood work August 2, 2017, Surgeon September 6, 2017, Surgery September 12, 2017 - St. Joe's Hamilton - No Opti

Height 5"4" HW 231 SW222 CW141

PreOp-9 lbs M1-20lbs M2-11lbs M3-13lbs M4-7lbs M5-8lbs M6-7lbs M7-5lbs M8-5lbs M9-2lbs M10-0lbs M11 - 0lbs M12 - 0lbs

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/17 5:50 pm

Thank You! Glad to hear about/from another Hamilton patient.

Dee321ca
on 10/11/17 5:45 am

Congrats Penny!

I'm going through Hamilton as well - in fact, having my orientation there in a couple of weeks. If you don't mind me asking, what sort of things do they not approve you for? I'm a little nervous now. I was referred in June and it feels like it's taking forever to get to orientation. Mind you, i'm not in a super speedy rush either. Was just curious as to what causes the delays with Hamilton.

:)

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/17 6:03 pm

Hello Dee!

When I was declined I was in Richmond VA. I was declined because I was very over weight BUT I didn't have anything wrong with me and my girls were to small. They felt it was not worth the risk. Mind you this was 18 years ago. The second time was another hospital in VA and then again 10 yrs ago, they said not enough was wrong with me again.

Now ironically Hamilton approved me because they want to fix me before something is wrong with me. I have been heavier before and was on Diabetic meds but lost 50 pound and I haven't needed them for 4 years. So they want to see me smaller so I never need them again. I hope this helps.

Have you started any tests yet? Xrays, blood word.. etc there are a bunch.

Dee321ca
on 10/12/17 6:13 am

Hi Penny - thanks for going into detail for me! Do you think them declining you was because of the insurance company standards (them willing to pay) or the doctors concerns? I'm not sure how it works south of the border. I'm so glad that Hamilton has accepted you and wants to help. I think that makes so much more sense than letting someone continue to suffer and risk serious health complications later on. That's great that you are off the diabetic meds. Was it Metformin/Glumetza? - I'm on Metformin not for diabetes, but because i have PCOS and won't get a period unless i'm on it (weird). It would be great to not have to take that anymore. My endocrinologist said that she still wants me on it for a while after - just to maintain weight loss. I guess we'll see what the Hamilton clinic says and see how it goes.

I have done a couple tests through my family doctor. He did order bloodwork right away when he referred me because he said they would need it. Not sure if he sent it with my referral or if he just needed it to report anything when he did the referral. I also got him to order me an abdominal ultrasound and an ECG and I had those done. He's also referred me for a sleep study in case they need that too - so i'll already be in the queue for that. I asked about an endoscopy and he thought maybe they would want to have that done through their people because they would be looking for specific things. But so far, that's what i've done. Are there any others that you suggest? I wasn't sure what the list was exactly and how many i could do on my own. I'm having my orientation there on the 30th.

Good luck with your studies and I hope you get your surgery date soon! Keep us updated as you go.

:)

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/17 6:08 pm

First, yes it was Metformin. I never want to go that again. Whew. You have a interesting reason for needing it. I have not heard of that before. I hope after all is said and done you can go off it.

Your Doctor is on the ball! Mine got my a sleep study, a referral for a abdominal ultrasound, a scope refferal to check the lining of my stomach(the biopsy told the I have celiac disease! Who knew.). Xrays of my abdomen as well.

The surgical nurse from St Joes gave me refferals for a urologist(24 hr urin collect) to check for kidney stones and you blood work. The nurse also got me my appointment with a nutritionist and the Psych evaluation.

The longest thing was the sleep study in Paris Ontario. Such a long waitlist.

As far as the states, it could have been a insurance issue. I never got farther then my first appointment. But! Hamilton is of the mindset to help before people are fighting issues. I hope that helps.

Most Active
Recent Topics