Should I gain weight in order to get ohip surgery?

rationalthinker1
on 10/14/17 1:56 pm

Hello, I have bmi of 30 and I need 35+ with one health complications in order to apply for ohip covered biaretic surgery. I have to gain 50 lbs to be accepted. Should I do it? I was 230 lbs but dropped it to 180 lbs and now back to 200 lbs have been struggling to get it back to 180 lbs for seven years now. I'm giving up now.

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/17 5:40 pm, edited 10/14/17 11:34 am - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

My big concern for you purposely gaining 50 pounds would be what if after you gain so much weight you are not accepted by the program? It is a long process and at any time you might be told that they do not feel that you are a good candidate for surgery. And then you find yourself that much heavier.

I don't know your stats but how much do you need to lose now? Gaining 50 pounds when you only need to lose 15 seems counterintuitive in my opinion.

Have you considered the non surgical route that OHIP covers? This is for people who have less to lose.

Whatever you decide I wish you luck.

rationalthinker1
on 10/16/17 7:33 pm

Hey Karen. I thought about it. I don't think that it's a good idea primarily because of the excess skin that would be generated by gaining 50 lbs. The reason why I want this badly because it will be life-long struggle otherwise. I will lose weight and then gain it back afterwords.

I am still going to the gym and trying to eat healthy. but i relapse. For example, this weekend, I devoured a large pizza twice in a row. I regret it afterwards and this is probably isn't the last time it will happen.

(deactivated member)
on 10/16/17 7:53 pm - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

I truly understand your desperation but this surgery is not a magic pill. It is entirely possible to gain weight after surgery if you don't follow the program. They actually expect you to gain a certain percentage around the 2 year mark.

Take me for example, I'm 5'4" tall. I'm told that after 2 years I can expect to weigh about 155 pounds. Then I'll probably gain 15-20 back. The thought doesn't make me happy but it's better than where I am now.

This surgery is a tool. You still have all those same problems that make you binge or overeat. They need to be dealt with.

I was on Saxenda, it's an injection. I lost 10 pounds the first week. And 30 pounds over 2 months.

Do you see a trainer at the gym? Perhaps they can help.

SKimster
on 10/20/17 6:36 pm
VSG on 05/22/18

Hi can you please tell me what the non surgical route that ohip covers is?

Kimmy in Canada

2017: Aug 16: Referral -- Sep 14: Orientation - Oct 5: Nurse - Oct 23: D/SW/N 2018: Feb 21: D/SW/N - Mar 12: Internist - Mar 23: D/SW - Apr 5: App't with Surgeon - Apr 23: Post-Op Class - May 3: Pre-op Admin in Hospital - May 22: SURGERY

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/17 6:53 pm - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

If you go to the Ontario Bariatric Website then click on patient info. Then at the bottom of that page it gives you the option of clicking on info for the surgical program or info on the medical program.

Hope this helps

leeann73
on 10/14/17 6:37 pm

There is a medical program where you follow opti fast for 12 weeks. I know you feel desperate and unhappy now but having to gain 50 pounds so you can have surgery to lose it? I hope you find some peace.

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

rationalthinker1
on 10/16/17 7:35 pm

Thanks, I'll check out this optifast. I see that it is covered by OHIP.

Amy R.
on 10/17/17 10:29 am
On October 17, 2017 at 2:35 AM Pacific Time, rationalthinker1 wrote:

Thanks, I'll check out this optifast. I see that it is covered by OHIP.

I am SO glad to see this. And I hope you get the results you are hoping for.

Many gain weight even after they have the surgery. Some even gain all of their weight back plus more. Honestly it is so much easier on your body and your life if you can do without it. Good for you for being open minded enough to try a different way. =)

LettingLayneyLoose
on 10/19/17 7:52 pm

I've just finished the Optifast program and it's been completely life changing. I would definitely try it before even thinking about purposely gaining weight. I had to wait quite a while to get in, but it was worth it.

HW: 299 CW: 165 GW: 150

Started Optifast on April 21, 2017 at 248lbs through the Ontario Bariatric Network medical program.

Most Active
Recent Topics