2 days post RNY...

Lucile777
on 10/29/17 4:30 pm

HI FRIENDS,

well I finally had RNY on Friday at HRRH. I had last minute cold feet and begged for a sleeve and Dr. Huynh said no. I think I pissed him off. But anyway. It took me a LONG time to wake up. They were concerned and the anesthetist gave me 2 doses of whatever to reverse the sleepiness. I had a cold last week and was on antibiotics until October 20th. They said they were afraid that one of my lungs was deflated ( don't remember the term) so they took an X-ray of my lungs after surgery and yesterday morning too. They told me to get another one done next week with my family doctor. They also told me to blow into that breathing apparatus to improve my lung situation.

After the surgery they sent me up to the 10th floor and I was nauceous as the eff word. I was dry heaving. I remember saying "are my staples going to rupture? ". And the nurse said no. I told the nurse I had to pee and grabbed on to him because I was lightheaded!

Because I was so nauceous and I couldn't keep water down I insisted they keep me an extra night and keep me on IV because I was terrified. I remember thanking God for allowing me to survive the surgery. Oh and the pain was pretty bad for the first 36 hours. Since then though it's settled down quite a bit. I passed gas via burping yesterday morning and by yesterday evening I was able to toot. I also walked around when I could, but I could hardly eat. At this point I am finding it a bit overwhelming to take vitamins and supplements on top of the food and liquids. Oh sweet Lord help me. I have to go back to the clinic tomorrow to check in with the doctor. Is this normal? They also found a hernia by by belly button. I feel like I've been through the ringer but I'm glad that I survived and that I'm back home.

BTW, Optifast royally sucked. I was starving all the time. It seems like a distant memory but I cheated royally on three days. The last three days I was perfect though and was in between as well. Still lost 15 lbs on opti.

anyone have any similar experiences?

BattlecryForever
on 10/29/17 5:45 pm
On October 29, 2017 at 11:30 PM Pacific Time, Lucile777 wrote:

HI FRIENDS,

well I finally had RNY on Friday at HRRH. I had last minute cold feet and begged for a sleeve and Dr. Huynh said no. I think I pissed him off. But anyway. It took me a LONG time to wake up. They were concerned and the anesthetist gave me 2 doses of whatever to reverse the sleepiness. I had a cold last week and was on antibiotics until October 20th. They said they were afraid that one of my lungs was deflated ( don't remember the term) so they took an X-ray of my lungs after surgery and yesterday morning too. They told me to get another one done next week with my family doctor. They also told me to blow into that breathing apparatus to improve my lung situation.

After the surgery they sent me up to the 10th floor and I was nauceous as the eff word. I was dry heaving. I remember saying "are my staples going to rupture? ". And the nurse said no. I told the nurse I had to pee and grabbed on to him because I was lightheaded!

Because I was so nauceous and I couldn't keep water down I insisted they keep me an extra night and keep me on IV because I was terrified. I remember thanking God for allowing me to survive the surgery. Oh and the pain was pretty bad for the first 36 hours. Since then though it's settled down quite a bit. I passed gas via burping yesterday morning and by yesterday evening I was able to toot. I also walked around when I could, but I could hardly eat. At this point I am finding it a bit overwhelming to take vitamins and supplements on top of the food and liquids. Oh sweet Lord help me. I have to go back to the clinic tomorrow to check in with the doctor. Is this normal? They also found a hernia by by belly button. I feel like I've been through the ringer but I'm glad that I survived and that I'm back home.

BTW, Optifast royally sucked. I was starving all the time. It seems like a distant memory but I cheated royally on three days. The last three days I was perfect though and was in between as well. Still lost 15 lbs on opti.

anyone have any similar experiences?

What is HRRH? Why did the doctor decline a sleeve?

Lucile777
on 10/29/17 5:54 pm

Humber river. Said I didn't mention it before. Said it has a 50% fail rate ( I.e. Weight regain)

Kiki73
on 10/29/17 6:37 pm

Glad your doing better,hopefully is a smooth ride from now on,,

oneatatime
on 10/29/17 7:41 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

I had a lot of problems with my lungs immediately post op too. A lot of what you're describing is normal; being lightheaded right after surgery, etc. It's a major surgery. Because of the strain on my lungs during surgery, I stayed in recovery room for many hours on oxygen where they kept waking me up to breathe cause I kept losing breaths. I stayed on full oxygen mask even in my room for a while. I got that spirometer once back in my room. They took precautions for 24 hours post surgery. I get it, it's scary. Thankfully, it was over after a day and they looked after me well.

I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly. I was also overwhelmed by the vitamins and the change in diet when I got home. What to have when, etc. It's going to take you a while. Have some patience with yourself and the process.

Also, try to be positive. You lost a lot of weight on Opti. You're off to a great start despite cheating multiple times. Hopefully you can stick to the required diet now because the consequences can be very serious as your body heals.

By the way, you stayed hungry on Opti BECAUSE you kept cheating. If you had gone into and stayed in ketosis, as intended, you wouldn't have been hungry anymore. Hopefully you'll let your body do that now.

Good luck.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

rce884
on 10/30/17 6:40 am
RNY on 09/05/17

Sorry you had so many problems but it is all in the past now. onward and upward (or downward on the scale lol)

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday!

Highest weight 311/ Weight day of surgery 271/One Month 257/ Two Months 247.5 / Three Months 241/ Four months 234/ Five months 228

Kathy1212
on 10/30/17 7:45 am

Welcome to the loser's bench! You made it!

I had trouble with my lungs too, but they suspected I would because I have severe, chronic asthma and was sick for 2 weeks prior to surgery with a cough (but no infection). They added asthma meds to my oxygen while I was in surgery and I was on oxygen for 2 nights/3 days after surgery. I couldn't blow into that thing that improves your lungs without triggering an asthma attack, not even once, and they had me stop, and one of my lungs did deflate but after a few weeks it reinflated on it's own.

I was in major pain too; it slowly got a bit better day by day. Hang in, it will get better.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Lucile777
on 10/30/17 8:29 am

Thank you for your words of encouragement everyone. This is really, really tough. I cried today :(

Lucile777
on 10/30/17 8:30 am

BTW you are doing fantastic. You look amazing! I saw your pics :)

Most Active
Recent Topics