"Slow Loser..."

fromfattohealthy
on 11/15/17 6:17 am - Canada

I had my 6 month follow-up appointment. I was slightly discouraged when I kept hearing "Oh, you're losing very slow compared to others.." Huh?

My weight on the day I started Opti was 235.5, this morning I was 178lbs, but a couple weeks ago I was 176 - I started working out and my weight increased...not sure what that's about. I have also lost 28.5 inches, 7 inches ALONE from my waist, almost 8 inches off my hips!!! Nonetheless, I am still pretty thrilled with my results, I am going to the gym 5-7x a week now, I am happier, healthier and more confident.

Anyone else considered a "slow loser?"

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

Ginnny
on 11/15/17 6:46 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I'm not sure but I think I have read more than once that Revisions tend to lose at a slower rate. Might want to do a search on that to put your mind at ease.

You're doing awesome IMO, so don't let their comments get in your head! Keep on doing what you're doing. You'll get there.

I don't buy into the exercise makes you gain weight theory, maybe it does temporarily, but it hasn't been my experience.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

fromfattohealthy
on 11/15/17 7:41 am - Canada

I have heard that too but I actually completely forgot about that, so thank you for that reminder!

I agree with you - I don't think exercise causes weight gain - only the temporary water weight retention from a good weight training session. I have noticed when I'm very sore there is a slight increase.

Thank tou! I was happy with my progress. I have had a couple stalls but nothing I didn't expect to happen.

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/17 7:23 am

Bad bad.. nut or np !!!

slow? You know what counts... well being.. health... inches and weight will come.. some yes slow losers .. age.. thyroid.. mobility.. how dare they!!! Now I don't see you being slow but so what if you were??!

Compare and despair.. eating disorders 101 Shame on them!!!

fromfattohealthy
on 11/15/17 7:44 am - Canada

Doctor and Dietitian.

So frustrating. But my next appointment is my one year, so I am working hard to be at goal!

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/17 7:54 am

What hospital?

You need to forget this.. and keep

doing what you are doing!

birdiegirl
on 11/15/17 9:45 am

I'd like to give you a slightly alternate view. Agree with Ginnny that revisions tend to lose slower and less weight loss then virgin surgeries.

However. This may be a good time to review your calorie consumption. Are you maximizing your weight loss? I don't ask this in a critical manner but trying to assist.

Only YOU know if you are eating properly. If you eat a lot of carbs then I can guarantee you will be a slow loser.

Ensure your protein needs are met first. Try to get to 80 grams or more daily. Dense protein will be your friend for life and keep you satiated.

Again, you may already be doing all of this. Its just sometimes a good idea to review your plan.

Good luck

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/17 10:27 am

What I do not like is comparisons! Help, assistance, reviewing sure.. comparisons NO!!

oneatatime
on 11/15/17 11:39 am
RNY on 09/01/17

I think your attitude is amazing and shame on the health care practitioners for ever comparing anyone's weight loss to another's. Multiple studies have shown that people who compare themselves to others have high incidences of depression and fail to see their worth and true results.

Here you are, actually happy with your results (which you totally should be btw! They are awesome!!) and the stupid pracs say something stupid. How infuriating.

Your post is awesome. A great reminder for everyone not to compare their journey to anyone else's, and work the program and be happy with your own results. Keep doing "you" cause you're doing amazing!!!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/17 11:40 am, edited 11/15/17 3:41 am

OOAT

Most Active
Recent Topics