I saw my surgen yesterday! Can someone give me an idea of the first few weeks post op

laisheavenbound
on 12/21/17 11:09 am - Parksville BC, Canada
VSG on 09/17/18

I want something to look back on here to remind me of the Why's How's and what is normal....Can I drink Vega Shakes? Are vitamins and meds hard to take? How long till you can eat a little normal food? ARE YOU STARVING FOR MONTHES? or do you feel full all the time?

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/17 11:35 am

Hello Lais!

I had surgery on Dec 7th.

I am or hungry at all at this point. I am eating cream soups and oatmeal at this point. I have yogurt Popcicle as well. At this point I have no pain. I do jave discomfort in the evenings but not enough to reach for Tylenol.

I jump start every morning with a ready premier protein shake.

I have just start to take pills the size of a pea. I was crushing them the first two weeks. I have chewable vitamin s and liquid vitamins as well.

I drink decaf Orange Poker tea and crystal light flavored water. The first week post op ice was my best friend.

I am still very tired but I mange to get out once a day. Today I survived Service Ontario and standing pretty well. I just started to drive myself arou d this past Monday.

I have to have a gluten free diet since I have Celiac Disease and I have the brand Vegan powder shakes. I do not like them honestly. I do add the non flavored one to my soup though. I still take about a hour nap a day. I am sleeping well so far which is great since I have restless leg syndrome.

My abdomen area is still tender to touch but much better.

I did not have gas pains like others but I had strong intestinal gas pains for At least two weeks.

I also have been on the deprovara shot and hadn' had a period in 6 months but at the start of week two it popped up. Weird huh?

I would buy yourself a body pillow. I was able to sleep on my side right away but some people struggle with that. I still use my body pillow as a cushion between me and the world.

A wise woman told me to pack A lot of underwear and I am glad I did because I had a few accidents when having dry heaves. Pack 6 just In case!

Tic tac were my best friend when I was feeling nauseas at the hospital and at home.

I think I am done babbling.

Good luck and you will do great!

Penny

laisheavenbound
on 12/21/17 11:40 am - Parksville BC, Canada
VSG on 09/17/18

thanks for all the info....abble on cause these things will be great advice when I am in a brain fog lol...Did they do your surgery by scope rather than open incision?

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/17 11:51 am

Mine was abit different and I am hoping others will jump in for this question.

I am not the normal but I had 5 small insicions. Then I have one about 3 inches because I had a surgery when I was 30 that was messy and they bad to remove a ton of scar tissue. My experience is not the normal.

I have veryveryittle lain from my insicions. I did purchase a box of waterproof banaids for my 3 inches so I could shower.

I had a drain for 7 days but the normal is 2 days or none at all.

Take your own wet wipes as well. They are nice to have one hand and the hospital toilet paper is horrible. Lol

I am sure others will pop in for a more average experience.

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/17 11:52 am

Sorry for typos I am on my phone.

Starnaenae
on 12/21/17 2:17 pm

My first few weeks were great. Surgery was 1 year ago tomorrow. I haf no issues. Gas pain was very tolerable. In boxing day i shopped the whole day. No pain meds since night one in hospital.

Eating was simple - prep ahead makes life easier. Im 9.5 months pregnant and STILL have 2 premier shakes a day. Review yoyr guide constantly, ask questions and dont be afraid. Dumping SUCKS but its worth it as you learn things about your body again

best of luck

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

RosieBelly
on 12/21/17 2:50 pm

9.5 months pregnant!!! Dumping does suck and I have had only one bout so far but I took the lesson and learned it. With me it was eating way too fast and spent about 12 hours regretting it(and praying)

referred Jan 2016 intake May 2016 left programme returned June 2017 final pre-sx class Oct 2017 surgeon appt Oct 2017

Opti Wt Nov 4/17 226 lbs BMI 45 Sx Wt 212 lbs RNY surgery Nov 23/17 M1 -18 M2-9 M3-10 M4-8 M5-6 M6-7 M7-6 M8-3 M9-1(so far) Down to within one pound of my goal and 99 lbs down from my highest weight. I was not a fast loser but who cares as long as you get there! I know the newbies check the trackers and the signatures so although I kind of lost track of how the rest of the weight came off, you should know that it was not fast and furious but it was slow and steady!

current BMI 24.7 that, my friends, is NORMAL!!! Strong is the new pretty!

Starnaenae
on 12/21/17 6:06 pm

Another thing to remember is not everyone experiences dumping the same. Some people have crazy shakes and chills and sweats and stuff and others like me just feel the need to throw up and i do and way better after...

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

RosieBelly
on 12/21/17 2:47 pm

Hey there

I had my RnY surgery a month ago. I am on soft foods. Nope not hungry most of the time and when I am I am easily satisfied(like three or four small meatballs). I have been taking my gerds meds since day one in pill form and was cleared at my first week to take tylenol etc in pill form. When you first get home, I don't think normal food is high on your priority list but after a week oh boy did that poached egg taste good!

I have four incisions two tiny ones and two that are actual incisions and they have healed up quite nicely, no drains. I am on the treadmill twice a day for a half hour at this point and this past weekend went for 4 km walk through the woods with the family. Although I was exhausted by dinnertime. I have also lost 32 lbs overall since starting Opti and 18.5 since the surgery. More importantly my waist has lost 7 inches!!

RoundPenny and I have had very different experiences and I think both of them may be in the range of what the docs feel is normal. Well almost RP.....my biggest challenge was that for the first week or so after the surgery I was super sensitive to smells so a lot of things just smelled ghastly to me. Even things I liked. I still find the world a stinky place but not as bad as the first week. Your vitamins post op will be chewables and at the beginning they do feel a bit like a whole meal! lol The feeling of hunger and fullness is not the same as before. I tell people that I feel empty and not empty if that helps. Good luck. Best decision I have ever made.

referred Jan 2016 intake May 2016 left programme returned June 2017 final pre-sx class Oct 2017 surgeon appt Oct 2017

Opti Wt Nov 4/17 226 lbs BMI 45 Sx Wt 212 lbs RNY surgery Nov 23/17 M1 -18 M2-9 M3-10 M4-8 M5-6 M6-7 M7-6 M8-3 M9-1(so far) Down to within one pound of my goal and 99 lbs down from my highest weight. I was not a fast loser but who cares as long as you get there! I know the newbies check the trackers and the signatures so although I kind of lost track of how the rest of the weight came off, you should know that it was not fast and furious but it was slow and steady!

current BMI 24.7 that, my friends, is NORMAL!!! Strong is the new pretty!

laisheavenbound
on 12/21/17 4:09 pm - Parksville BC, Canada
VSG on 09/17/18

Thanks so much for all the info it helps so much

Most Active
Recent Topics