Introduction and a bunch of questions :)

Scary.Airy
on 1/3/18 6:21 pm

Hi... umm... so scanning through the first few pages of recent posts, I am not seeing a lot of introductions in this area... is this a faux pas? hahaha...

Early 40's female here... 5'8"ish, 260 lbs. I've been approved to the programme at the OHS and am still at the part where I am going to appointments, getting some items looked after, and waiting to meet my surgeon to get a date :)

Right now I have had a sleep study (all good) and blood tests (very low iron, anemic, very low Vitamin D) and have met with the nurse who's giving me my 'to do list'.

1. iron pills, but even better, get on birth control so my periods aren't so heavy and it actually stops the cause of the low iron and low hemoglobin. Urgh pap smear - yuk.

2. Vitamin D drops, which I already take, but damnit this is Canada and in the winter I apparently need to double up the sunshine drops :)

3. Meet with phychologist. All good there I think

4. Stop all use of Advil and go to Tylenol (again, no issues there, I just choose Advil out of habit)

5. Get on the multivitamin (she gave me a recommendation for a brand she likes)

6. Go in for an endoscopy. OKay. Now THIS is the one that freaks me out. Camera down the throat, right?

7. Redo my blood work to see that all is good and under control.

8. Get ready to wean myself off of my 1 diet coke a day habit :)

So... I guess I am looking for your opinions, anything that a 'good to know', anything you'd do differently... well anything at all regarding this period! In particular, can you tell me about the endoscope? How long are they in there for? OMG. She told me that if I don't have someone driving me that day, they will refuse to give me whatever they use to slightly sedate us. Yikes!

Did anyone else get a to-do list? I assume this is pretty normal, but maybe not?

I also was dying for her to tell me even the roughest of estimates of a potential surgery month, but she refused (I totally understand why). But... anyone want to share, is there a pretty common timeline between when you meet your surgeon, and the actual date?

Thanks everyone! I love reading all you are posting - so thank you for that too!

crqvingchange
on 1/3/18 6:45 pm

Welcome. Of course you are OK introducing yourself. All are welcome.

Your list looks good. I researched here as much as possible so that as things progressed before and after surgery I wasn't in for any surprises and that helped to ease they anxiety.

You might want to start eliminating any caffeine. Most Centres now want you to stay away from caffeine (that wasn't always the case) because it can be an irritant to your new pouch and also it can impede the absorption of iron.

Start looking for activities that you like. You will be more successful if you move. Don't be embarrassed about being larger the first time you go in a pool or to the gym. No one really cares, and you have to start sometime. This is something I had to learn.

This is your journey, make the most of it, and work your honeymoon phase to lose every pound you can. Wishing you success.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Stitch83
on 1/3/18 6:59 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

Welcome! My appointments have been in Windsor and I know every area is different but we were told around 12 months from the orientation. Every program seems to differ as to when you meet surgeon but Windsor order is orientation, nurse, sw and dietician, nutrition class, surgery orientation class then meet surgeon and get the date. At least for me it has been. When I look at people's signatures here it seems to be mostly one to two months after meeting the surgeon before actual surgery date. Not sure if that gives you any idea of timing but it's hard because each hospital has different procedures and wait lists. I didn't have to have an endoscopy so no help there

I completed orientation in June and am meeting the surgeon next week. Hoping I will have a date of March or April as they said they are currently giving out February and March dates.

One good tip I found here was to call the centre regularly for any cancellation appointments, I wish I had thought to do that while waiting in between my nurse/sw/dietician appts, it likely would have made it go faster. If your schedule is somewhat flexible that might something that could help.

BattlecryForever
on 1/3/18 7:13 pm
On January 4, 2018 at 2:21 AM Pacific Time, Scary.Airy wrote:

Hi... umm... so scanning through the first few pages of recent posts, I am not seeing a lot of introductions in this area... is this a faux pas? hahaha...

Early 40's female here... 5'8"ish, 260 lbs. I've been approved to the programme at the OHS and am still at the part where I am going to appointments, getting some items looked after, and waiting to meet my surgeon to get a date :)

Right now I have had a sleep study (all good) and blood tests (very low iron, anemic, very low Vitamin D) and have met with the nurse who's giving me my 'to do list'.

1. iron pills, but even better, get on birth control so my periods aren't so heavy and it actually stops the cause of the low iron and low hemoglobin. Urgh pap smear - yuk.

2. Vitamin D drops, which I already take, but damnit this is Canada and in the winter I apparently need to double up the sunshine drops :)

3. Meet with phychologist. All good there I think

4. Stop all use of Advil and go to Tylenol (again, no issues there, I just choose Advil out of habit)

5. Get on the multivitamin (she gave me a recommendation for a brand she likes)

6. Go in for an endoscopy. OKay. Now THIS is the one that freaks me out. Camera down the throat, right?

7. Redo my blood work to see that all is good and under control.

8. Get ready to wean myself off of my 1 diet coke a day habit :)

So... I guess I am looking for your opinions, anything that a 'good to know', anything you'd do differently... well anything at all regarding this period! In particular, can you tell me about the endoscope? How long are they in there for? OMG. She told me that if I don't have someone driving me that day, they will refuse to give me whatever they use to slightly sedate us. Yikes!

Did anyone else get a to-do list? I assume this is pretty normal, but maybe not?

I also was dying for her to tell me even the roughest of estimates of a potential surgery month, but she refused (I totally understand why). But... anyone want to share, is there a pretty common timeline between when you meet your surgeon, and the actual date?

Thanks everyone! I love reading all you are posting - so thank you for that too!

Hi there,

I had an endoscopy done a year or two ago. They bring you to a back room, confirm who you are and what procedure you're having done, and there will be several people in the room who will introduce themselves. Various technicians, a nurse, a doctor, etc. They get you to sit on a bed, will explain the procedure and will get you to open your mouth so they can put a few sprays of a flavoured numbing agent in your throat. It tastes like strong cough syrup and just numbs your throat so that you don't cough as much when they put the tube in/out of your throat. They get you to lay down, and will give you something to knock you out. They put the scope down your throat and do the examine when you're out of it. You won't feel anything or be aware of anything.

You should wake up, they put you in a wheelchair, and transfer you to a little waiting room with other patients sitting there, while a nurse watches everyone for about 20 minutes or so. Then you can leave.

The only issue I had was that when I woke up, I had discovered I had peed myself! Apparently when the tube is taken out of the throat, patients cough a lot, although you are usually totally unaware of this (I was!) so all the coughing is probably what did it. :/

Good luck! It's really nothing to worry about too much.

Leslie W.
on 1/3/18 7:52 pm - Cobourg, Canada

Scopes are really no problem. They give you sedation and it is over before you know it. I actually

drove myself home. didn't tell them but it is not ideal. Had good nap when got home. Have had multiple scopes over the last years. You'll sleep so don't stress about it. Concentrate about cutting out junk food, caffeine and sugar and you will do grest

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
(deactivated member)
on 1/4/18 5:54 am

Hello and welcome Not so Scary!

A lot of people have answered your questions. Endoscope is honestly not that bad. I had a long list of things to do and more. They might add things to it as you go.

The hardest thing for me at almost a month Post Op waa number 8. Soda, I can not at nd the site, smell and let' not even talk about coffee but I loved my diet coke. It was my drink happiness even lunch time. I quit coke zero at 3 months preop and I still crave it.

Start keeping a lot of your changes for the better now. Eating more healthy meals, less sugar, and healthy snacks now. It will help them see your level of commitment.

Good luck! You got this!

Stitch83
on 1/4/18 6:39 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

Just want to say I think we are drink twins...I cannot stand the smell or taste of coffee. But bring me a soda any time! I have mostly cut it out but it was very hard...I had to wean myself with flavoured carbonated water.

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/18 7:30 pm

One month Post op soda still calls me but the other 20 things that used to call me don' any more. I will take that any day.

It does get easier. It is great you are cutting back now. You don' want to be in caffeine withdrawals while dealing with healing.

You can do it!

Stitch83
on 1/5/18 9:22 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

Lol yes that makes sense. I'm hoping to lose the desire for a few things too!

I basically have no pop now except once a month on my stateside travels. Otherwise if I am feeling particularly in need of the carbonation I have the Dasani sparkling waters, down to one a week of those so thinking the cutting back is going well.

SweetRide1
on 1/4/18 6:41 am
RNY on 01/16/18

Welcome!

I was terrified about the endoscopy but it was easy peasy. TBH, the colonoscopy was worse but still not bad. They put me right out and I didn't feel a thing.

Good Luck.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Most Active
Recent Topics