Previous Weight Loss Attempts

BattlecryForever
on 1/8/18 3:55 pm

Sorry to start a new thread about this, but my old thread isn't updating for some reason. I had my orientation the other week, and we were told that attempts like the cabbage soup diet, slim fast, dieting on your own, etc, do NOT count as formal weight loss attempts. We were told that these attempts must have been in adulthood, and are mandatory to be qualified for the program.

I'm pretty worried now that I will be discharged, because although I have had many weight loss attempts, including a couple of formal ones as a child and youth, my attempts in adulthood have all been on my own. My question is, do they ask for proof that you have completed a formal weight loss program? I'm thinking of just saying I've done something like Herbal Life. Thoughts and advice?

Smoka
on 1/8/18 4:25 pm
RNY on 09/12/17

Wow. I am really surprised! I don't recall ever be asked that in Hamilton. I think I just wrote down a few diets that I had tried and I did list a few of them with the nurse when I met with her, but that was it. I have only done weigh****chers (2x) and Dr. Bernstein (1x). The rest of the time I dieted, was on my own. I guess it depends on which centre you are at (as they are all so different), but I still got accepted.

Barb

Referred May 2016, Orientation July 4, 2016, Pre-Nutrition Class March 31, 2017, Nurse April 10, 2017, Blood work/ECG April 13, 2017, Ultra-sound April 27, 2017, Psychologist May 30, 2017, Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy June 5, 2017, Internist June 13, 2017, Dietician June 14, 2017, 2nd Round of blood work August 2, 2017, Surgeon September 6, 2017, Surgery September 12, 2017 - St. Joe's Hamilton - No Opti

Height 5"4" HW 231 SW222 CW141

PreOp-9 lbs M1-20lbs M2-11lbs M3-13lbs M4-7lbs M5-8lbs M6-7lbs M7-5lbs M8-5lbs M9-2lbs M10-0lbs M11 - 0lbs M12 - 0lbs

SweetRide1
on 1/8/18 4:47 pm
RNY on 01/16/18
oneatatime
on 1/8/18 7:32 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

No one asked for proof from me!! Put a couple down... weigh****chers, Herbalife. :)

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Stitch83
on 1/8/18 7:34 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

Surprising because in Windsor those are definitely included. I have included a pic of the list that I had to fill out, sorry it's blurry and half cut off but I took it as I handed it in, this will at least give you an idea. And I never had to provide proof just wrote it down. So if you add one or two programs they won't really question it, they are not going to make you go back and ask for the records. The doctor skimmed it once and it's never come up again.

HW: 285 SW: 260 CW: 134 Dr. Grantcharov, St. Michael's

Referral: May 2017 Orientation: June 5/17 Nurse: Aug. 17/17 Doctor/Dietician/SW finished by Dec. 11/17 Surgical Ed. Class: Dec. 18/17 Surgeon: Jan. 9/18 Surgery: February 26, 2018!!

BattlecryForever
on 1/8/18 8:42 pm
On January 9, 2018 at 3:34 AM Pacific Time, Stitch83 wrote:

Surprising because in Windsor those are definitely included. I have included a pic of the list that I had to fill out, sorry it's blurry and half cut off but I took it as I handed it in, this will at least give you an idea. And I never had to provide proof just wrote it down. So if you add one or two programs they won't really question it, they are not going to make you go back and ask for the records. The doctor skimmed it once and it's never come up again.

Thanks very much. I'm wondering now if Guelph is a bit more rigid than other centres.

Stitch83
on 1/10/18 7:36 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

I know that Guelph is somewhat more rigid in some things as my clinic is Windsor but have to choose either Guelph or Toronto for surgical site and Windsor mentioned over some diet stuff they are more strict. Not what you have to have done before but you must cut out pop and carbonated water pretty quickly and things like that. I was drinking carbonated flavoured water and my dietician said Toronto will let you drink it nearly to surgery but Guelph won't let you progress if you are. Also that you stay on fluid diet longer with Guelph after surgery. However, in terms of the pre-diets they can't (and won't) expect you to provide proof and I one hundred percent say put a formal program or two on there plus the things you actually did and you will be totally fine, I was! Nobody on here that I have read has ever spoken about having to provide proof I'm sure it won't even be something you're asked.

HW: 285 SW: 260 CW: 134 Dr. Grantcharov, St. Michael's

Referral: May 2017 Orientation: June 5/17 Nurse: Aug. 17/17 Doctor/Dietician/SW finished by Dec. 11/17 Surgical Ed. Class: Dec. 18/17 Surgeon: Jan. 9/18 Surgery: February 26, 2018!!

BattlecryForever
on 1/12/18 4:59 pm
On January 11, 2018 at 3:36 AM Pacific Time, Stitch83 wrote:

I know that Guelph is somewhat more rigid in some things as my clinic is Windsor but have to choose either Guelph or Toronto for surgical site and Windsor mentioned over some diet stuff they are more strict. Not what you have to have done before but you must cut out pop and carbonated water pretty quickly and things like that. I was drinking carbonated flavoured water and my dietician said Toronto will let you drink it nearly to surgery but Guelph won't let you progress if you are. Also that you stay on fluid diet longer with Guelph after surgery. However, in terms of the pre-diets they can't (and won't) expect you to provide proof and I one hundred percent say put a formal program or two on there plus the things you actually did and you will be totally fine, I was! Nobody on here that I have read has ever spoken about having to provide proof I'm sure it won't even be something you're asked.

Thanks so much Stitch.

As for carbonated drinks, I'm not a big pop drinker so it doesn't really bother me, but I plan to ask the nurse about their "no carbonation ever again" policy. I've read about other surgeons and programs who say that you CAN have carbonation after surgery (after a grace period, of course) IF your pouch/sleeve can handle it, and that it's a myth that it stretches it.

Kathy1212
on 1/9/18 10:43 am

They can't ask for proof, really; who keeps receipts for WW etc? I know I didn't. If you're worried you can just tell them what they want to hear. I don't like lying but they shouldn't be saying they'll only take formal attempts because those formal ones are expensive and not everyone can afford them. Even Weigh****chers is expensive.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

anncha
on 1/9/18 12:28 pm

We weren't asked for evidence in Sudbury. They did ask what I'd done and I told them weigh****chers, slimming world (UK based when I lived there) and then the calorie counting etc. They did ask about how I managed to lose 70lb on slimming world and what made me gain it all back (a baby, a transatlantic movie). They did not ask for evidence of it though.

Referral to Sudbury: April 28th 2017, Orientation: July 19th 2017, 1:1's: Dec 14th 2017, Follow up with NP: Jan 9th OTN: Jan 18th, Pre-Op: Feb 12th, Surgery: Feb 27th - 2 weeks of Opti. Hospital: St. Joseph's TO with Dr Sullivan.

Height: 5'11, age 38. SW: 323lb CW:196lb

Most Active
Recent Topics