I am so frustrated!

laisheavenbound
on 1/20/18 11:41 am - Parksville BC, Canada
VSG on 09/17/18

I am from BC and I know most of you are from Ontario but there are hardly anyone in the BC Forum....I would like to share my opinion on why that may be.

I was referred in Nov 2017, I had to see the surgen to see if I was a candidite but I guess that was a mistake, they sent me before the bariatric program. I did the scope, sleep test labs and got a surgical date feb 19th...I thought this was the normal route but when I went to order my optifast the bariatric program was flagged and they cancelled my surgery. I was informed via Email that my surgery was cancelled as I did not do my bariatric program....

When the bariatric program called they said there was a 2 -2 1/2 year wait to get into orientation then several month wait to see Physician, and nutricionalist before I would go back to my Surgeon if I was approved.....They did say because of the mix up they would move it along faster.

I can't imagine the people who get left behind in this process, either die waiting, try unhealthy weight loss out of desperation, get bumped out because their health collapses from their morbid obesity or just lose hope in the process.

Are we supposed to learn something in this process?

TheRealMeWithin
on 1/20/18 12:37 pm - Canada
RNY on 06/02/17

I'm sorry that you are feeling frustrated.

I can say that referral in Nov and surg in Feb seems VERY FAST! This surgery and your life afterwards is a huge change from what most people have been doing/eating/living in the past. There is also psychological issues that need to be addressed. Its a BIG learning curve.

In Ontario, last I heard average time from referral to surgery was 1 to 1.5 yrs. With flexible schedules you can get shorter, I was 9 months.

But the process (all the learning appointments - dietician, nutritionist, etc... The medical appointments - nurse practitioner, surgeon, medical tests & all the Pyschological appointments) is SO important. I truly believe all of that not only reduces your risk for complications, but also raises you chances of success.

The way I eat now (and especially for the first 2 months after surgery) is literally night and day from how I used to.

Yes, the process is long, and SUPER frustrating sometimes, but the end result is SO worth it.

There is another option, and that is to go elsewhere and pay out of pocket for it. For me, that wouldn't have been an option but many others have gone this route. It is a lot quicker.

Good luck to you whatever you choose.

Surgery Jun.2/17 at TWH ----- HW 215 - SW 197.2 - GW 125 CW 124.6

Pre-Op=8.8lbs --- Optifast= 8.4 (was on it for 9 days due to cancellation)

M1 - 20.6... M2 -10.2... M3 -8.0... M4 -5.8... M5 -9.0... M6 -5.2... M7 -7.0... M8 -2.2... M9 -0.9... M10 -2.6... M11-0.6... M12-2.0

https://trendweight.com/u/6ffd55753da24d/

laisheavenbound
on 1/20/18 2:37 pm - Parksville BC, Canada
VSG on 09/17/18

in BC referal to orientation is 2 1/2 years then the waight and learning begins so referal to surgery is about 3 to 3 & 1/2 years. For me too paying out of pocket is not possible as I am on disability

RosieBelly
on 1/20/18 4:17 pm

I know it seems long but it is worth the wait. The wait times can be so depressing but you can post on here in the meantime and the sisters (and brothers) will keep encouraging you!

referred Jan 2016 intake May 2016 left programme returned June 2017 final pre-sx class Oct 2017 surgeon appt Oct 2017

Opti Wt Nov 4/17 226 lbs BMI 45 Sx Wt 212 lbs RNY surgery Nov 23/17 M1 -18 M2-9 M3-10 M4-8 M5-6 M6-7 M7-6 M8-3 M9-1(so far) Down to within one pound of my goal and 99 lbs down from my highest weight. I was not a fast loser but who cares as long as you get there! I know the newbies check the trackers and the signatures so although I kind of lost track of how the rest of the weight came off, you should know that it was not fast and furious but it was slow and steady!

current BMI 24.7 that, my friends, is NORMAL!!! Strong is the new pretty!

laisheavenbound
on 1/20/18 4:54 pm - Parksville BC, Canada
VSG on 09/17/18

Thanks

oneatatime
on 1/20/18 5:21 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

That is frustrating. We are lucky in Ontario that our wait times are shorter than other provinces. I've heard of some provinces that have a 5 year waiting period. Some provinces don't have any programs at all.

I know that doesn't make it better for you. Hopefully while you wait, you can make some positive changes for your health. I hope too, as they said, they can speed yours along.

Wishing you well.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

laisheavenbound
on 1/20/18 5:26 pm - Parksville BC, Canada
VSG on 09/17/18

Thanks

I am learning and implimenting new diatary changes. I cant imagine a 5 year wait, that is crazy. I know I am blessed living in a place I can get help but the wait is hard after you decide you've hit rock bottom...I am encouraged by all of you who share your stories here

oneatatime
on 1/21/18 1:51 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Yes, I totally understand. I hope your process moves quickly.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Kathy1212
on 1/21/18 10:36 am

I'm sorry you went through this; it must have been so hard. If they said they'll move you along faster because of the mix up, hold them to that. Hopefully it won't be such a long wait. Good luck.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Scary.Airy
on 1/21/18 10:58 am

That does seem like a very long wait time. I imagine as time passes, and the success of these programs and interest in Bariatrics become more of a 'thing', there will be more surgeons and more programs in the other provinces. It's a slower process up here than we'd see in the US, as down there it seems more of a very elective thing, and not as much screening, so there is quite a big demand for it.

That being said, I just had my first pre-op group session last week, and one of the speakers (the behaviourist) addressed the long wait.

Her take on it is what the poster above said. This is a life long, HUGE thing, and studies have shown that patients are WAY more successful when there is a lot of pre-op engagement. Education on eating healthy (we all think we know it already) and really addressing the behaviour behind our eating habits so we don't continue to go that route, addressing other medical concerns that will affect our success (smoking, caffiene, even taking Advil) etc.

They've actually done studies about how they do the procedures in the states (very little focus on prepping pre-surgery) and how we do it up here (tonnes of pre and post surgery care) and the long term success rates.

It sucks, because when you're ready to bite the bullet and make a change, you feel all "LET"S DOOOO THIS!!" ... but it's kind of like an old fashioned wedding engagement :) We've made the commitment... now let's make sure we can live with that commitment before the knot is tied forever!

(also, for what it's worth, I've been told repeatedly that you will always be told "Worst case" time frames. Like I am in Ontario, and I've learned they will always tell us "1 - 2 years to get into and through the program" but the reality seems like it's going to be under a year. They just don't want patients freaking out and yelling "But you said 9 months!!!!" if they can't accommodate that.

Most Active
Recent Topics