Day 7 of Optifast

Swiggum
on 1/26/18 10:33 am

Standing in my office kitchen, mixing yet another batch of vanilla torment, when in walk a pair of strangers.

Person 1 turns to person 2 and begins to describe his lunch in the most lurid detail. If it were possible for pasta to be *****graphic, this was it.

Briefly, I considered murder. Then, it downgraded to uncontrollable weeping...with murdery undertones.

Happy to say that no one died or was drowned in my torrential tears, but OMG this sucks!

anncha
on 1/26/18 11:01 am

I'm 17 days away from starting Opti and I have to say I'm dreading it. Although I'll be stocking up on sugar free syrups and adding TONS of ice to make Opti/Frappe's :)

Think of your end goal - you've totally got this.

Referral to Sudbury: April 28th 2017, Orientation: July 19th 2017, 1:1's: Dec 14th 2017, Follow up with NP: Jan 9th OTN: Jan 18th, Pre-Op: Feb 12th, Surgery: Feb 27th - 2 weeks of Opti. Hospital: St. Joseph's TO with Dr Sullivan.

Height: 5'11, age 38. SW: 323lb CW:196lb

Swiggum
on 1/26/18 11:10 am

It's actually not all that bad - I really hope I haven't made you dread it more! I just find having a laugh and a ***** about it makes it easier ?

One thing I discovered is that iced mint tea with the chocolate Optifast is pretty yummy. I've been using the north African mint tea from David's tea - definitely recommend ?

SweetRide1
on 1/26/18 11:21 am
RNY on 01/16/18

OMG you made me laugh right out loud.

When I was doing Optifast, somebody came into my office complaining about how hungry they were blah blah blah. I held up my packet of Optifast and looked them straight in the eye and asked if they truly thought they were going to get any sympathy on this side of the door?

A sheepish, oops, I guess not tumbled forth and my colleague quickly exited my office - never to return.

I hated the vanilla but actually liked the chocolate. To be honest, so far, the two weeks on Opti and then the two days of clear fluids has been the hardest to deal with.

After surgery there's light at the end of the tunnel. On Opti....you're just heading in....

Keep up the good work and your sense of humour. It will serve you well in the days to come.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Swiggum
on 1/26/18 11:36 am

Thanks for that! Good to know there is light at the end. I've still got 2 weeks to go, so I'm really looking forward to the day when all the people around me stop looking like dancing hot dogs and pizza slices hahaha

Bet4Life
on 1/28/18 5:31 pm - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 02/12/18

OMG thank you! I needed that laugh. I'm a fellow day-sevener, surgery on Feb 12 at Toronto Western. I brewed a jug of decaf coffee that I keep in the fridge to mix in with the chocolate in the morning. Find the vanilla more tolerable with a bit of banana extract. Also tried coconut in the chocolate. All with lots of ice. And I've never been more excited about a cup of broth.

I'm not craving my usual carbs/sugar but there are moments where I'd tackle someone eating a carrot or an apple. I just want to bite on something...

anncha
on 1/26/18 11:25 am

I'm not dreading it any more than I was. I do really see it as being the beginning of my new life and I love hearing how everyone is fairing during their Opti journey.

Referral to Sudbury: April 28th 2017, Orientation: July 19th 2017, 1:1's: Dec 14th 2017, Follow up with NP: Jan 9th OTN: Jan 18th, Pre-Op: Feb 12th, Surgery: Feb 27th - 2 weeks of Opti. Hospital: St. Joseph's TO with Dr Sullivan.

Height: 5'11, age 38. SW: 323lb CW:196lb

Tuktu
on 1/26/18 1:52 pm
RNY on 03/07/17

Too funny - made me laugh!!

I can relate - I had to hide out from people so I didn't blow up. My fuse was really short when I was on Optifast - I liked it but I missed real food too. After awhile it got easier, but the first few days I was definitely planning Dexter-like activities. LOL

Swiggum
on 1/26/18 2:25 pm

Hahaha now I'm thinking about the murdery breakfast intro!

Murt65
on 1/27/18 7:52 am

I start OPTI on Wednesday and will be sure to warn my co-workers that their life may be in danger!! LOL

St. Joes Hamilton - Referral June 16, Orientation Aug 16, Group Dietitian May 5, Nurse May 15, Social Worker Aug 15, 1:1 Dietitian Aug 15, Medical Internist Sept 18. Meet Surgeon Nov. 2/17 Preop Feb 12/18 Surgery Feb 16/18

Most Active
Recent Topics