Type 2 Diabetics who had WLS

VioletFemme
on 1/27/18 5:31 pm - Greater Toronto Area, Canada

Were you able to get off your diabetes medications? I'm currently on insulin and oral meds. At the nurse appointment the nurse said that you stop taking your metformin etc after surgery, they evaluate, and most are able to stay off diabetes meds. However, I forgot if that meant also meant insulin too. I know that type 1's will obviously need to keep on insulin, but what about type 2s. Ideally, I'd want to stop metformin and take my basal post-surgery and then get off basal once I've lost weight (or are experiencing hypos).

For those who had the surgery and are/were Type 2 diabetic, what has been your experience with diabetes management?

crqvingchange
on 1/27/18 6:36 pm, edited 1/27/18 10:13 pm

I am Type 2 and still follow a low carb diet to control my sugars. I no longer take metformin. My blood is tested every 3 months and I usually have an HbA1C ranging from 5.0 to 5.4.

I exercise most mornings when your sugars would be highest and that is another way to keep your sugars in check. I make sure that I get in all of my fluids and try to avoid simple carbs. I am still a diabetic, but I am currently diet controlled and have been for 3.5 years. I will sometimes experience RH, or lows, but I have been able to deal with them.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/27/18 6:47 pm - Windsor, Canada

My hubby was on copious amounts of insulin prior to surgery. His diabetes had gotten pretty bad.

Sux years later, no insulin. They kept him on metformin as a precaution but sugars are always good.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/28/18 8:25 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

You should check with your Dr about stopping the medication. I know for some people the type of wls helped determine to get them off the meds right away.

I had the VSG, but at the time I was only on the pills & the lowest dose that was available since lifestyle changes got me off the insulin & my dosage lowered. I forgot how much longer it took to be off all meds, but it definitely was within the first year.

My diabetes is in remission. Still eat protein forward & keep carbs under 50, although I've had days where it was higher. I get labs from my endo & the bariatric surgeon & consistently kept a1c levels between 5.2 to 5.4.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

MichelleS61
on 1/28/18 10:42 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

I'm heading into surgery Feb. 26, once I start Optifast in a week I've been told to monitor my blood sugar 4 times a day then cut back by 50% everytime I get a low, with the expectation I'll be off mealtime/basal insulin by the time of surgery, at this point I'd still be taking the max dose of metoformin. I expect when I go for my pre-op appointment on Feb. 6 I'll get more information about meds.

Looking forward to less stabbing in my future.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

VioletFemme
on 1/28/18 8:10 pm - Greater Toronto Area, Canada
On January 28, 2018 at 6:42 PM Pacific Time, MichelleS61 wrote:

I'm heading into surgery Feb. 26, once I start Optifast in a week I've been told to monitor my blood sugar 4 times a day then cut back by 50% everytime I get a low, with the expectation I'll be off mealtime/basal insulin by the time of surgery, at this point I'd still be taking the max dose of metoformin. I expect when I go for my pre-op appointment on Feb. 6 I'll get more information about meds.

Looking forward to less stabbing in my future.

Please provide an update after you appointment.

Most Active
Recent Topics