Pouch question

Kaylar
on 2/7/18 2:55 pm - Toronto, On

Hey all,

So now that I'm over 4 months out I'm starting to try some of the "may not go well" foods like celery and lettuce and ground meat and etc, and I've noticed something that's got me wondering.

The thing I've noticed is that when something I eat makes me sick, I only end up throwing up the last 2 or 3 bites, no matter how far into the meal I am. After that I'll still be nauseous for abit, but even if I end up heaving nothing comes up but saliva.

Could this mean that my pouch is passing food along almost immediately? And if so could it be a sign that the opening from my pouch to my intestine is too big? I've been careful about my liquids, so it wouldn't be because of that.

Hope you're all doing well,

Kayla

Jo0710
on 2/7/18 3:51 pm

If I've thrown up, it's always only foam/saliva. Never food. Not sure if we can throw up the same way as before but I am probably wrong on this....

RNY Jan 16/17 Surgery @ St. Mikes with Dr. Rotstein. Pre-Surgery -20lbs & Optifast -15lbs. Year 1 Loss after RNY: 131lbs

**Half the woman I was**

eLoon77
on 2/7/18 4:28 pm
RNY on 09/22/17

I find when I throw up I only throw up the portion of the meal that didn't agree with me. It's so so weird. For example, I had chicken and broccoli and even though I prefer it andante and on the crunchy side my pouch disagreed and when I threw up it was only the chewed up flowers of the broccoli and no chicken even though I was eating them together at the same time. It's like my pouch sorts it and processes the part it likes and spits back what it doesn't. This has happened a number of times. How it does it is a mystery to me!!

Feb 17/16 - orientation TWH | March 3/16 - nurse | Nov 22/16 - Phone call f/u re-entry | Oct 18/16 - nurse | Nov 29/16 - nut class | Feb 16/17 - social worker | March 7/17 - nut apt | March 22/17 - psych apt | March 30/17 - team approved | May 5/17 - surgeon apt | June 8/17 - endoscopy | Sept 22/17 SURGERY RNY @TWH

Diminishing Dawn
on 2/7/18 7:56 pm - Windsor, Canada

It is likely that it wasn't chewed enough so it wasn't passing through the stoma. That's why you only throw up some and not all of your meal.

The foamies is usually the way of the body adding liquid to help food pass through the stoma.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

eLoon77
on 2/8/18 9:28 am
RNY on 09/22/17

I think it's less a matter of chewing and more the texture of a specific food. Like I said, I ate the whole meal (and subsequently chewed it) all together in the same way, and my pouch is only rejecting certain parts of the meal. So it's not a chewing issue I don't think.

Feb 17/16 - orientation TWH | March 3/16 - nurse | Nov 22/16 - Phone call f/u re-entry | Oct 18/16 - nurse | Nov 29/16 - nut class | Feb 16/17 - social worker | March 7/17 - nut apt | March 22/17 - psych apt | March 30/17 - team approved | May 5/17 - surgeon apt | June 8/17 - endoscopy | Sept 22/17 SURGERY RNY @TWH

Leslie W.
on 2/7/18 5:58 pm - Cobourg, Canada

Even after 6 years if something doesn't agree I only throw up a little food and mucous/saliva. Food doesn't stay in our pouch's long especially if not protein. I certainly cannot "vomit" like I used too before surgery. Most times it is just retching or a little bit of food.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Meggles07
on 2/7/18 7:12 pm, edited 2/7/18 11:12 am - Canada

Well, I've gotten a lot more experience in this area over the past two weeks (stomach virus). My conclusion is that pouchy just doesn't have enough force to get all the food up. It doesn't have the same muscle structure as a whole stomach. Part of vomiting is the abdominal muscles also pushing on the stomach. With a pouch there is less to work with. Just my shower thoughts on the subject :)

Edit to add: I'm currently just shy of three years out from surgery :)

Most Active
Recent Topics