Pureed meat

MichelleS61
on 3/13/18 7:31 pm - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

How is anyone else doing on the addition of pureed meats? I've had so many issues with the protein shake that I was great bring on the meat.

Made a couple of Sheppard's pie with beef and mashed potatoes 2 tblsp of each I was going to do mashed cauliflower but chickened out well that ate really well and added some much needed protein.

I tried pureed chicken w a tsp of light miracle whip on 4 Melba toast rounds also potato soup w cauliflower first time I got the ugh I ate too much feeling. I guess the chicken really filled me up, no pain but kind of nauteous w some dry heaves. Felt better after an hour or so.

Now I know . I need to be really careful. Will try the chicken again tomorrow mixed with gravy.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

oneatatime
on 3/13/18 9:35 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Hi Michelle,

It may be the meat that's making you nauseous, but it may not. Just want to make an observation... do with it what you will. The most important is to know your body and what works for you.

What I noticed is that it seems like your meals are very carb heavy. Lots of potatoes, and the Melba toast. All allowed, of course. I know my pouch would have had a hard time with it. It still does 6 months out. Also, the addition of mayo may be too high in fat for you early on. It may not. Again, know your body.

I would just be careful not to say it's the protein. That's the most important food.

Maybe try just one food at a time as much as possible and see what you actually tolerate? I'm not sure what you have and have not tried so far.

I wish you much eating success and may you feel well in your journey!!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Ginnny
on 3/14/18 5:39 am, edited 3/13/18 10:57 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I agree with previous post. Sounds like you're trying to add too much at one time, and yes it seems carb heavy.

Try adding one thing at a time and remember your pouch is still healing. Just based on what you've wrote it also seems like you are trying to eat too much at one sitting. Dense protein will fill you, you shouldn't need anything more. If you want soup add unflavoured protein powder to it, but I would suggest a broth based soup not cream based. Eat slowly and stop when you have finished your measured amount.

Melba toast rounds don't sound like they fall into the pureed category, regardless of what you put on them.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

MichelleS61
on 3/14/18 6:49 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

On my diet I'm allowed melba toast rounds and saltines at the pureed stage, I only had 4 of the rounds and yesterday was at 44 total grams of carbs. I figure I just ate too much at one sitting don't necessarily think it was what I ate, wasn't thinking about how I'd need to cut back to only 1/4 cup of soup when having something else, a lot of the stuff in the diet is heavy on milk products to help get some protein, hence the cream soups. So far I seem to be tolerating the meat/cheese I've tried, but I think because I've not had any problems at all it's easy to forget to limit quantities. Wasn't originally planning on having both together at lunch yesterday but got busy at work and didn't eat till after 1.

I figure once I can have stuff in my soup I'll go with broth based soups, unfortunately I haven't found anywhere to get any of the bariatric products I keep seeing people in the states can get.

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

Ginnny
on 3/14/18 8:28 am, edited 3/14/18 1:28 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Hi Michelle, I'm just trying to help you out, not trying to be critical.

Just because you are "allowed" melba toast and saltines, doesn't mean you should eat them. Many of the post-op plans push carbs and a "balanced" diet in accordance with the Canada Food Guide. Many of the vets still don't eat 44 grams of carbs at years out. This is not how post-ops should eat if they want to lose as much of their weight as quickly as possible. Protein protein protein.

Get to goal as soon as you can. Utilize your honeymoon period because it only gets harder the farther out you get. I wish you much success.

Daisydoo02
on 3/14/18 8:50 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hi Michelle,

Ginny has given you excellent advice and is very much trying to help you and tell you what works for her and she is extremely successful!!!

No one is here to judge or be critical. Anyone who takes the time out of their day to post back to you is doing it to be helpful, to guide you and support you.

I am 4yrs & 4 months out from RNY surgery that I had at Toronto Western Hospital. My HW was 275 + and my current weight at 4 yrs out is 125.5lbs.

Guess what, my Centre gave me "Eating Guidelines" too. It was a freaking NIGHTMARE! They had potatoes, oatmeal, cream of wheat, melba toast and crackers on their post op diet as well. Its NOT RIGHT.

We all got WLS because we are obese. Why did we get obese because we ate carbs and sugar and huge portions. NOW is the time to start working on your head and telling yourself this is new. Small portions, low to no carb and no sugar.

Michelle I am upset for you that you are eating 44 grams of carbs at less than a month out. I don't even eat that at 4 years out. That is WAY TOO MUCH carbs for a fresh post op.

Potatoes, crackers, melba toast should be no wear in your post op eating until you get to goal and have maintained for 6 months at least.

You are more than welcome to disagree with me, argue with me but I personally feel like I am living proof that to get to your goal weight you need to listen to the Vets on OH not what is in your bariatric eating plan given to you by your Centre.

There is a website called "The World according to Eggface." She had WLS years ago and created her own website that has the most amazing recipes for all stages of WLS. You can get your protein in easy by doing yogurt, cheese, beans, shakes (milk or water based), soups with protein powder mixed in, pudding with protein powder mixed in.

You can do this. Its incredibly hard at first, its just a drastic change to what we were all used to eating and its hard to sort out our emotions.

For reference when I was 3 weeks post op I was focusing on getting my liquids in and eating lots of yogurt, cheese, pureed tuna/salmon and soups with added protein powder. I ate 200 - 300 calories a day and less than 10 grams of carbs.

I hope you will consider ditching the potatoes and melba toast/saltines in your weight loss stage. You can have them again, they are not gone forever just gone while you maximize your honeymoon period.

All the best.

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

MichelleS61
on 3/14/18 9:41 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

Gee we had surgery same place and same doctor (not that I saw him really). I am doing the small portions and measuring everything, but its a little harder to plan my day now I'm back at work (I do take lunch/snacks), but I'm working on it.

I've been skipping the oatmeal although I like it as it didn't same like the right choice when I'm having issues with protein. I've had to add milk to my diet to compensate to some degree, but am hoping to get this down as my "real" protein increases. Now that I can have eggs, I've been having a soft boiled egg for breakfast, than a yogurt for early snack (after my commute to work), I'm trying to do a protein drink (Splash) mid morning although its been running into lunch by the time a finish, then have to wait 1/2 hour to eat. I'm going to try the chicken w/gravy first today to make sure I get that in.

I'm not having any issue with liquids, but even the protein shake/powder or an egg is 100 calories, yogurt 35, not sure now I could be much less than the 500 - 600 calories I'm having now? By the way I'm 6' tall.

Ginnny
on 3/14/18 10:00 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

It's not as important to wait a half hour after drinking before you can eat something. I will drink right up until I eat and then nothing until 30 - 45 minutes after eating sometimes an hour if I still feel full.

MichelleS61
on 3/14/18 11:46 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

Thanks, good tip, I'd wondered about this, because I'm used to drinking water all day long at work, I'm finding the remember to stop before eating hard, tried the chicken again today at lunch definitely sitting really heavy, seems weird as the beef has been fine, maybe I'll it a rest for a couple days. I can freeze what I made up last night.

KatieCJ
on 3/14/18 6:14 am

I've been mixing chicken with a sauce once a day. But I haven't added any sides with it.

I went to the grocery store and found a spaghetti sauce, an Alfredo sauce and a butter chicken sauce (I checked the labels for calories, fat, carbs and sugar per serving).

I put 1/4 cup of cubed chicken with about 1/3-1/2 cup of a sauce, mix it with my hand mixer and then microwave. Sometimes I add a bit of cheese.

Ive been able to tolerate it well so far.

• Surgery (RNY): February 27th 2018. HW: 350lbs SW: 318lbs CW: 141lbs
Most Active
Recent Topics