Hungry!

Swiggum
on 4/26/18 10:34 am

Hi guys,

I am almost 3 months out now and I've started noticing that I'm feeling hungry a lot...quite often when I've just finished or just about to finish a meal.

I wasn't expecting this so soon, so I'm trying to figure out if I'm not eating enough or if it's just part of the healing process. I am getting 70-90 grams of protein, all water and vits and my calories are usually around 800...though one day I was starving and ended up having 1100!

What do you lovely people think? Does this sound familiar to anyone?

LeslieCL
on 4/26/18 10:42 am

Yes, I find the same. I find eating eggs really helps.

Referred January 7/17, Orientation Humber May 28/17, Meet Dr. August 4/17, TRIO November 3/17, Internist November 21/17, Surgeon again December 21/17, Pre-op assessment January 4/18 and Surgery January 12/18.

Swiggum
on 4/26/18 10:48 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Do you snack on eggs, or bulk up your meals with them? I have usually one a day for breakfast, but I could toss a hardboiled one in my lunch bag for a snack.

I just finished my lunch half an hour ago and I am so hungry already!

LeslieCL
on 4/26/18 12:51 pm

Have you tried the Starbucks Sous vides egg bites? They are fabulous and very filling. One usually is enough for a meal. And you get two in an order, you can heat the other up later. I found a recipe that is close and I use my instant pot.

Referred January 7/17, Orientation Humber May 28/17, Meet Dr. August 4/17, TRIO November 3/17, Internist November 21/17, Surgeon again December 21/17, Pre-op assessment January 4/18 and Surgery January 12/18.

corriev
on 4/26/18 12:13 pm, edited 4/26/18 5:13 am
VSG on 03/06/18

Can you share what your average days meal looks like .

I felt the same when my protein levels were lower, since i got good advice and changed that, I find if i fill up with Protein first and then eat the veg it doesn't happen to me. eg - chicken and Veg for dinner. I eat chicken first and then the veg. Small bites and take about 40 min ( sometimes longer) to finish a 3OZ chicken breast with 1/2 cup steamed veg. If i need to snack, i microwave poach an egg, but dont eat more than 1 a day.

Swiggum
on 4/26/18 2:52 pm

For sure! Here's yesterday's menu, which is pretty standard for me

Breakfast:

1 large egg

17 grams light cheddar

1 tbsp salsa

Morning snack:

Protein shake with coffee

Lunch:

43 grams fat free ham

30 grams light cheddar

36 grams tomato

Hand full of lettuce

1 tbsp salad dressing

Dinner:

Half cup garam masala chicken (chicken in tomato/coconut milk sauce)

Half cup cauliflower rice

Snack:

1 triple zero Greek yogourt

Quarter of an apple

Totals:

Calories: 868

Protein: 79

Carbs: 36

Not sure if it should make a difference, but I'm also doing a lot of walking, and according to my fitness pal, I burned 780 calories.

Ginnny
on 4/27/18 6:58 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

A couple of things. Are you taking a PPI? Often acid mimics hunger. Second, you should be focusing on dense protein right now. I know variety is nice but you really don't need the tomato/lettuce/cauliflower/apple - use those calories for dense protein and you should find that you stay fuller longer.

You shouldn't need to be eating more than 800 calories at this early out. And going over 1000 is not going to get you to goal. Maximize the honeymoon period - it only gets harder as time goes on.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Swiggum
on 4/27/18 8:16 am

Thanks Ginnny! I will cut back on the veg. I'm so confused with this stuff, my centre wants me doing the half plate protein, quarter plate veg, quarter plate starch. I have been avoiding the starches (I thought their recommendation to have bread or potatoes was not a great idea) but I thought the veg was non negotiable.

When did you start bringing veg into your diet?

Ginnny
on 4/27/18 10:47 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I still eat very little vegetable. Once I eat my protein I'm full. Mind you I would put a little onion in my tuna or egg salad and have some cucumber slices as part of my snack at about 6 months I'd say but I didn't eat veggies with a meal until I reached goal. I just didn't have the room. And you are wise to stay away from the starches.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Swiggum
on 4/27/18 11:39 am

Thanks so much Ginnny, that's really helpful to know!

Most Active
Recent Topics