Surgery is in 2 Days! Woah.

Scary.Airy
on 5/2/18 11:47 am

Well, I am wrapping things up here at work and prepping to be gone a month. Surgery is Friday, so I am taking tomorrow off to pack, prep, and get the phone call telling me what time to show up at the hospital.

Any last minute tips?

Also, I am wondering how long it was before people felt somewhat alert and normal again? I am talking like, the ability to sit up in bed or a comfy chair and do some work on a laptop? Nothing completely brain-intensive, but I do have a couple of deadlines I'd like to meet if I can. (as I sip and walk, I know).

Also, any suggestions for interesting foods you recommend for those first days back, beyond protien shakes and water? I am on the hunt for a bone broth soup today, because I forgot to make myself one and don't really feel like rushing for a marrow bone right now :)

Thanks in advance! Wish me luck! I'll probably post when I can for any newbies on here, just because I loved reading about people's first days when I was prepping for this.

:)
Airy

shiney
on 5/2/18 12:10 pm

All the best for surgery day!

*TWH* Referral - December 2017; Orientation - March 2018; SW Assessment - May 2018; Nurse Practitioner - June 2018; Nutrition Class - June 2018; Psych - August 2018; Dietitian - August 2018; Appt. w/ Surgeon - November 2018; Surgery date - January 2019

Weight loss

Pre-surgery: 14, M1: 18, M2: 9, M3: 8, M4: 10, M5:6 , M6:9

SweetRide1
on 5/2/18 12:42 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

Good Luck!

Those first few days are basically full liquids, and with the requirement to get in 60 grams of protein per day you will probably only be able to get those protein drinks and water in. Maybe some sugar free jello?

I pureed cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup and I had some oatmeal eventually.

I might have done yogurt, but I can't remember. I did drink milk as that helped with getting the protein in.

I recall doing soup (pureed of course). Soup actually made me feel a little normal.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

BB78
on 5/2/18 12:45 pm

I had my surgery on Monday and could sit today and do computer work, I probably could have done some yesterday. Once you get the gas moving it got better. The one thing I wish I would have bought was herbal tea, all they give you is decaffeinated orange pekoe which is not my cup of tea. Also from Monday til now the temperature went up 15 degrees so shorts would have been nice.

Good luck

Hope_is_all_I_need
on 5/2/18 1:59 pm

The first 2-3 days I experienced a fair amount of gas pain (felt like pressure on my chest and shoulder) , that was more painful than the actual surgical sites for me. Other than sleeping quite a bit on and off all day in those fist few days ,I felt alert and went out for walks. By day 4, I felt pretty back to normal with just minimal discomfort- I was on my laptop and did my taxes while I was in bed:)

For food the focus was mainly getting in my protein shakes which wasn't easy when you have to also ensure your getting your water in- it's a lot of sipping all day. As others have mentioned, I had a bit of soup here and there when I started wanting some variety.

Good luck with your surgery! For me it already feels like then best decision I ever made!

Orientation Oct 24, 2017 at Humber; Meet surgeon Dec 12/17. Internist Jan 24/18; SW/Nut/nurse appt Feb 15/18;surgery March 19/18

Opti -12; M1 -25; M2 -18; M3- 18 M4-9 M5-11 M6-7

(deactivated member)
on 5/2/18 7:27 pm - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

I ate A LOT of cottage cheese immediately post-op!! I tried the bone broth but couldn't stomach the taste.

Good luck!

crqvingchange
on 5/3/18 6:57 am

Imagine chicken bone broth I have seen in the Healthy Dept of the grocery store. Getting your fluids in will help to give you more energy. Drink fluids like it's your job. You've got this. I'm saving a comfy spot for you on the loser's bench.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Scary.Airy
on 5/3/18 2:58 pm

THank you! I am so excited to be joining you awesome folks on that bench!

MichelleS61
on 5/3/18 8:50 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

I was pretty normal after the first 3-4 days, just tired more easily. I was back at work in 2 weeks at a desk job (hated to leave my staff for longer as the person subbing in didn't have great people skills) I was tired but took naps when I got home.

I did some yogurt with added protein powder, cream soup with Protein Powder, tried the Oatmeal which I was looking forward to after 3 weeks of liquids but it was too heavy and didn't settle well.

You'll have to see what your new tummy likes, getting in the protein / liquids is king so you'll just have to see how it goes.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

Squishy_in_the_middl
e

on 5/3/18 9:03 am

I was down and out for the rest of the day after surgery. I barely got my protein and liquids in. Slept like a bear. The next day post surgery was better I could at least walk every hour and manage my protein and liquids. By that night I had to have an ultrasound of my belly because I couldn't pee. They took 915ml of fluid out of my bladder. The day I was discharged I could walk and talk, sip and walk, pee and fart!

Took me about a week to get over the soreness of the incisions. Lose fitting pants were my best friend for a couple of weeks.

Happy dance for you!

Orientation- May 2017, Pre nutrition class- Aug 2017, Blood work- Aug 2017. RPN meeting- Sept 2017. Dietician and Psychiatrist Dec 2017. Internist- Dec 2017. Meet the Surgeon Feb 20th 2018. VSG surgery march 17, 2018 with Dr. Gmora

Most Active
Recent Topics