Now I wait.....

rschwartz
on 5/7/18 7:31 am

I have been offline for a bit what with appointments/ work/ kids and just general life. I have progressed though the program, but am now stuck waiting until July for my Social Worker and Dietitian appointments, then I will see the surgeon (No date for this yet). I am trying to do everything I can to be prepared for the SW and Dietitian appts, any suggestions on what they are looking for besides food journal?

I have so much positive nervous energy, I just don't know what to do with myself to pass the time.

Any suggestions are helpful!

St. Joe's Hamilton Orientation - Dec. 4/17; Pre-nutrition class - Feb. 9/18; Nurse - Mar. 12/18; CT Scan - Apr. 16/18; Gastroscopy - May 1/18; Internist Appt - May 3/18; Dietitian - June 11/18; Social Worker - July10/18; Consent - July 24/18; Surgery - Sept. 17;

shiney
on 5/7/18 8:35 am

I feel like I'm in the same spot as you - a lot of energy and desire to get on with it. At first, I wasn't sure if I wanted to do this, but the more I am reading, the more I feel it may be the right solution for me. I'm just at the beginning of the process, first appointment this week.

In terms of managing the positive energy, I've been reading a lot about life after the surgery and I've been cooking a lot. I'm changing up my meal prep in an effort to make things easier. Really focused on finding a few new recipes to master to keep things interesting.

I find that I've already started to lose some weight, which makes me feel like I'm already in the process.

Out of curiosity, what are the main milestone meetings that have to happen post-orientation? From what I understand there's the social worker, nurse practitioner, nutrition class, meeting the surgeon and then ultimately surgery - any thing I'm missing? I've read some people also meeting an Internal Med doc?

*TWH* Referral - December 2017; Orientation - March 2018; SW Assessment - May 2018; Nurse Practitioner - June 2018; Nutrition Class - June 2018; Psych - August 2018; Dietitian - August 2018; Appt. w/ Surgeon - November 2018; Surgery date - January 2019

Weight loss

Pre-surgery: 14, M1: 18, M2: 9, M3: 8, M4: 10, M5:6 , M6:9

rschwartz
on 5/7/18 8:50 am

Yes there is a Medical Internist appt. This would be the person that looks over any test you have had so far, and all risk factors to determine if you are eligible to proceed to meeting the surgeon. Mine checked my blood pressure, looked at stretch marks, asked about any swelling/ or varicose veins. Then looked at all my tests completed so far....I was surprised that he didn't weigh me though.

St. Joe's Hamilton Orientation - Dec. 4/17; Pre-nutrition class - Feb. 9/18; Nurse - Mar. 12/18; CT Scan - Apr. 16/18; Gastroscopy - May 1/18; Internist Appt - May 3/18; Dietitian - June 11/18; Social Worker - July10/18; Consent - July 24/18; Surgery - Sept. 17;

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/18 11:42 am, edited 5/7/18 4:43 am - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

Every program is different. I never saw an internist. My appointments went as follows: orientation, social worker, nurse, group nutrition class, psychologist, dietitian, surgeon.

Good luck with your journey! The wait is hard when you are in the middle of it.

crqvingchange
on 5/7/18 1:51 pm

My suggestions would be to start making changes now. Give up soda, try switching to decaf, research here so you know what some of the pitfalls are. If you can, start an exercise program. For me, I had to start with water aerobics because any other exercise was too hard on my joints pre-op. These are all things that you will be doing post-op and it's easier to start them now, then doing everything all at once when you have your surgery. It will also demonstrate at your appointments that you have your head in the game and are committed to this new way of life. You've got this.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

rschwartz
on 5/7/18 1:56 pm

Thank you for the ideas...I never drank pop to begin with and have been off coffee for over 2months. I just finished 1 month with a personal trainer and am continuing the program she had me doing.

Greatmum41
on 5/7/18 8:31 pm

The best advice I have is definitely the food journal, give up pop and switch to decaf. In your journal implement what you learned in your nutrition class. I was lucky enough to only have one dietician appt as she felt I was doing well enough that I did not need a follow up. Also make sure you know what to expect after surgery and some food examples of what you can eat in different phases after surgery. As long as you do everything they ask you wil move through the program fairly fast.

HorseLover63
on 5/8/18 9:20 pm

Why do we have to see a social worker?

Do we HAVE to keep a journal? I will never keep a diary again after mine got seized as evidence when my partner got arrested.

rschwartz
on 5/9/18 2:09 am

You have to see a social worker to ensure you are mentally prepared for the surgery.

Its not not a diary, it's a food journal...you can use an app as well. You just need to show what you are eating each day.

Liveyourlife
on 5/9/18 5:49 pm

I really think the dietitian and social worker just want to know you are well prepared:

Read everything you are given and research what you are unsure of.

Make small sustainable changes with your diet and exercise.

Really think about why you overeat and ways to deal with it.

Believe it or not your surgery date will be here before you know it, you sound like you will be very prepared, good luck!

Orientation July, Surgeon consult Sept, Internist Nov, RD/RSW/RN Dec.

RNY March 2, 2018 HRRH Pam (49 / 5'5 ½)

HW: 237, PreOpti: 226, Opti: -10, M1: -20, M2: -12, M3: -13, M4 -10, M5 -9, M6 -7, M7 -2, M8 -3, M9 -1 CW 138

Most Active
Recent Topics