stalling, stalling, stalled

Squishy_in_the_middl
e

on 6/4/18 9:50 am

Hi everyone,

Been away for a little bit. I've been pulling my hair out as to why I have stalled completely. I first stalled at the 3 week mark then things started moving again. Now I am in another stall where I can't seem to get down past 226lb. I am now 11 weeks post op. The dietician has increased my calorie intake to 1000/ day

My fitness pal has been changed to show 60g protein, 20g fat and 20g carbs. I almost alway**** my targets. But I'm starting to think that her calculations are off (not to mention the calorie intake being at 1000).

I am almost at the point of starting (what remains) of my optifast to jump start the weight loss again. As well as cutting down the calories.

What is your opinion?

Much appreciated, Hugs*

Orientation- May 2017, Pre nutrition class- Aug 2017, Blood work- Aug 2017. RPN meeting- Sept 2017. Dietician and Psychiatrist Dec 2017. Internist- Dec 2017. Meet the Surgeon Feb 20th 2018. VSG surgery march 17, 2018 with Dr. Gmora

SweetRide1
on 6/4/18 10:21 am
RNY on 01/16/18

I stalled at 3 weeks and then I've had a couple of stalls that lasted maybe 2 weeks.

I'm at 4 1/2 months out and my caloric intake has been set to 900. My protein has been increased to 80 grams and I usually hit higher than that. I have fat set at 30 and carbs at 79 however, I NEVER go that high. My net carbs are usually around 35 - 40.

Opti is not a good thing to do post surgery. It can cause dumping and is really not made for a post bariatric digestive system.

I would suggest upping your protein, add more fat and continue to watch your carbs.

I find that when I up my fat and protein intake, the weight starts to move again.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

SweetRide1
on 6/4/18 10:26 am
RNY on 01/16/18

I meant to also suggest that moving more would be helpful as well.

Are you working out, walking etc., etc.? The combination of exercise, and what I suggested earlier, can definitely be beneficial in kickstarting weight loss again.

Remember, the more muscle you build, the faster your metabolism runs.

Sometimes its not all about diet. Sometimes, as well, your body just takes a break. It's readjusting to what's happening. The weight loss will start again.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Squishy_in_the_middl
e

on 6/4/18 10:59 am

Thanks for the reply!

I now have a step counter and I average about 2400 ad day through work alone.

At home, on terrible weather days I use the treadmill for 15 minutes at a normal walk pace (maybe adding some small hand weights?) on good weather days, I'm outside with the dogs usually playing fetch with myself as my dogs would rather do other things.

I have been cleared to use heavier weights so starting a weight training routine should help hey?

Orientation- May 2017, Pre nutrition class- Aug 2017, Blood work- Aug 2017. RPN meeting- Sept 2017. Dietician and Psychiatrist Dec 2017. Internist- Dec 2017. Meet the Surgeon Feb 20th 2018. VSG surgery march 17, 2018 with Dr. Gmora

SweetRide1
on 6/4/18 11:07 am
RNY on 01/16/18

I've been cleared for heavier weights and I sincerely believe it is helping and I enjoy it.

I go to the Y 3 - 4 times per week. I do weights, a class here and there and cardio. I've actually started rowing and I can really get into a groove. I just keep changing things up.

Diet and exercise are key.

Scary.Airy
on 6/4/18 12:18 pm

I stalled at about 3 weeks and got pretty down and started trying to change things up... but then I searched on the General forum and found this, which satisfied me :) (See below).

Also, I have been taking measurements, and saw that I was still significantly losing inches during my very long stall (it lasted over 2 weeks) so that helped a lot too.

Your body just has a little burp in the weightloss system :) It'll get over it and start running smoothly again.

For your reading (Copied from several other posts):

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a sabertooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

Goddess in training...

crqvingchange
on 6/4/18 1:40 pm

Hey Squishy, good to see you posting. Guelph always said that you need to eat between 650-850 in the losing phase. So, I would say her calculations are off. I have seen here from successful vets, that they up their protein (60 is a minimum) increase their fluids and keep carbs low (which I see you are doing). Exercise is great, and it will make you feel better and stronger, but unfortunately right now it's going to be mostly about what you eat. Hugs right back.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Wayne H.
on 6/4/18 10:55 pm, edited 6/4/18 3:58 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

Hi There,

I am the poster boy for stalls but came on here to simply say. Don't look at the scale, watch for changes in other areas like Clothes continuing to get loose, or other NSV's that you encounter.

I stalled several times, once for a couple of months and yet in March I started losing again. Since March I'm down 30Lbs. Before that, I was stuck at 283 - 291 during that last stall of mine. I simply refocused my efforts on eating properly and getting more exercise and activity in. Spring time helped with the activity levels.

Point being. Don't get frustrated. The weight loss will start again, your body is probably adjusting itself at the moment.

Murt65
on 6/5/18 4:15 am

At 1 1/2 months out Hamilton told me 1000-1200 calories and 130 g of carbs. When I posted this everyone agreed this was way to high as that's what people have in maintenance. I am comfortable in the 650-850 range that Guelph peeps get told. I'm not sure where Hamilton gets these high numbers. I am 3 1/2 months now and am still loosing but slower. Listen to your own body.

St. Joes Hamilton - Referral June 16, Orientation Aug 16, Group Dietitian May 5, Nurse May 15, Social Worker Aug 15, 1:1 Dietitian Aug 15, Medical Internist Sept 18. Meet Surgeon Nov. 2/17 Preop Feb 12/18 Surgery Feb 16/18

Liveyourlife
on 6/5/18 5:59 am

Hi there, i know every 'body' is different but I don't think I would be losing much if I was eating a 1000 calories at this point and it looks like you are a few weeks behind me. Right now I am generally between 700-800 calories a day and always try to get in at least 60 grams of protein and keep my carbs under 35 ****asionally I hit 50). On my fit bit I normally log between 7500-14,000 steps a day and aim for at least 30 active minutes daily. Good luck, I hope you can find something that will work for you!

Orientation July, Surgeon consult Sept, Internist Nov, RD/RSW/RN Dec.

RNY March 2, 2018 HRRH Pam (49 / 5'5 ½)

HW: 237, PreOpti: 226, Opti: -10, M1: -20, M2: -12, M3: -13, M4 -10, M5 -9, M6 -7, M7 -2, M8 -3, M9 -1 CW 138

Most Active
Recent Topics