Random update - First day back to work

Scary.Airy
on 6/4/18 3:31 pm

Hi everyone :) Just an update - mainly for newbies who are wondering what it might be like going back to work after being off and a dramatic weight loss in a short time.

I returned to the office today after a month off and 30lbs lost. I did NOT tell people at work that I was having WLS... but they DID know that I was going for abdominal surgery and was having a hernia fixed (true) and ulcers looked at (true) haha. Now, if they put 2 and 2 together and figure out it was WLS, that's fine, I won't lie about it. But I kept specifics to myself. (I actually did tell 2 people at work ages ago, but they've actually left / retired, so I guess it no longer counts).

So, it started with a bit of a panic this morning forgetting my usual work-day morning routine with getting the kids and myself ready and out the door. I wound up bringing the kids to school, then coming back home to finish getting myself ready. My sweet husband got home late last night, and when I woke up, I found roses for my first day back at work and he had also boiled eggs and portioned out Skyr for me! I had also prepped a pill box with vitamins etc. for the day.

I actually wound up texting him in a bit of a panic... I dress up for work, and had been used to wearing 'comfies' for the last month... and nothing was fitting and looking right! I don't like looking sloppy, and everything was either loose and hangy, or still too tight and unflattering (some old clothes I have hanging around). I finally found a wrap dress that worked.

So getting to work, I was jittery, I didn't want to be feeling like a freak. But... fortunately :) I work in an awesome group. All my employees are men (except 1) and they just told me I looked great and were glad I was back. My colleagues and boss were the same. My one female colleague was making things uncomfortable at one point, almost aggressively pointing out the changes to our boss, but I shut her down with a few jokes and all was good.

I ate lunch with the colleague and boss (not typical) and I did notice she watched very carefully what I ate... but I guess we just have to get used to that. shrug an egg and cheese isn't very gossipy, hahah.

By the end of the day I was exhausted and I was a little leery of trekking up 4 stories to get to my car in the garage, but all was good, and now that I am home, I still, suprisingly, have some energy left!

So, boys and girls! Nothing too scary about going back to work the first day. You'll get some attention for sure, but unless you work with jerks, nothing too mortifying!

:)

Goddess in training...

crqvingchange
on 6/4/18 5:52 pm

You can tell people you are being very cautious with your ulcers, if they comment on your food volume or choices.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Murt65
on 6/5/18 4:04 am

I was the same. I returned in April after 8 weeks off and am still on modified hours. They know I had surgery but not WLS. I get called Skinny everyday (never gets old!) and asked what I am doing. I just say watching my food- eating almost keto diet and exercising.

St. Joes Hamilton - Referral June 16, Orientation Aug 16, Group Dietitian May 5, Nurse May 15, Social Worker Aug 15, 1:1 Dietitian Aug 15, Medical Internist Sept 18. Meet Surgeon Nov. 2/17 Preop Feb 12/18 Surgery Feb 16/18

MichelleS61
on 6/5/18 10:28 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

I was fine the first couple of days but had to come home and take a nap after day 3, but I went back to work after 2 weeks. It's funny about the clothes, I work in a jean's casual office but after 3 months I'm down to 2 pairs of pants, 2 capris, 2 culottes, and a few tops, we got a cold snap this week, and I'm thinking will anyone notice if I alternate the same pants all week (probably one pair is red), going to stop on my way home to see if I can find another pair of pants.

I've been pretty lucky with tops from years ago the last time I was this side, but back then wore dress pants which would stand out like a sore thumb where I work now.

Adjusting to and finding clothes for work is the one tricky thing, places like good will may become your friend.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

Tuktu
on 6/5/18 11:29 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Sounds like you handled yourself really well at work! Good for you! I was nervous too but most people at my work knew about my surgery so it was fine. Most didn't care LOL.

Squishy_in_the_middl
e

on 6/6/18 6:13 am

I went back to work after 6 weeks off. I've been back now for 7 weeks and no one has said a thing. Everyone knows what I did and I am very candid with my answers. If they want to know, ask and I'll tell you everything. The only questions I get now are about my food choices and if my portion size is big enough to fill me up. It's all relative to the new sized stomach is my answer.

Keep on truckin peeps!

*Hugs* to all

Orientation- May 2017, Pre nutrition class- Aug 2017, Blood work- Aug 2017. RPN meeting- Sept 2017. Dietician and Psychiatrist Dec 2017. Internist- Dec 2017. Meet the Surgeon Feb 20th 2018. VSG surgery march 17, 2018 with Dr. Gmora

Most Active
Recent Topics