6 month Surgiversary!

SweetRide1
on 7/15/18 8:03 am
RNY on 01/16/18

Tomorrow will be my 6 month surgiversary and I cannot believe how much my life and well-being has changed.

I started the process at the end of May 2017 and here I sit, a little over a year later, with approx. 25 lbs to go to hit my personal goal. I am down 130 lbs from my initial start in May of last year.

I have been so lucky. My initial start was rough due to a complication right after surgery but that got fixed up very quickly and it has been onward and upward ever since.

I have NEVER been nauseous nor have I vomitted. Not once. Not even right after surgery. My pain was minimal. I can eat pretty much anything. The only thing that really creates issues is bread so I just don't eat it and I'm fine with that. I have NEVER dumped, but I also don't push the envelope. I shun sugar like the plague and have found new ways to cook and bake that work for me. I can eat pasta with no issues - although that is definitely a treat and not a staple. I was afraid that I would miss the AMOUNT of food I was used to eating, but I don't care about that at all. I couldn't care less.

I have added more complex carbs to my diet and I continue to lose, albeit slower, but I'm good with that and I can live with this and sustain it.

I eat healthy and mindfully. I track. I have the occasional glass of white wine on special occasions. I am living my new life in a changed and renewed fashion. Life is pretty good.

My fatty liver disease has reversed. I had severe sleep apnea prior to surgery and today, I have no trace of sleep apnea. Where my body hurt all over and my knees were a constant source of stinging and debilitating pain, I now only have a twinge every now and then. I took celebrex continuously for my knees. I don't think I've even taken a tylenol since surgery.

I go to the gym 3 - 4 times per week. I have a toned, and somewhat "hard" body these days. LOL My fitness level has never been so good. I row, walk, run, use the elliptical, swim and work the weight machines. I LOVE my workouts - WHO'D OF THOUGHT I'D LIKE TO WORK OUT???!!! A year ago, I didn't want to walk across the street.

My confidence level is high, but not out of control. I shop for pretty clothes because I want to look pretty. I used to shop only when I had to. I hated clothes shopping. Hated it! Now, I can pick up a blouse here and dress there ON SALE in regular size stores. The whole world is open to me. I'm not pigeon holed in one or two stores. So liberating. It might be a bit hard on the pocket book, but my psyche is soaring. I feel good, look good and I think I exude that feeling to others. I bought two bathing suits and wear them in public. THAT'S HUGE!

I have not lost any friends over my choices, and my relationships with those close to me have only gotten better. I know others have a different experience, and at times that's sad, and at other times it's necessary in order to become the person you were meant to be.

I have made some lovely new friends on this journey and I really believe they will not fall by the wayside. These are caring and genuine people that I have met through this forum and through support groups. I am so blessed to have found these new friends.

My energy level is out of control. I'm constantly on the move and I love it.

I cringe to think of my old life. I can't believe how great it feels to bend over and tie my shoes or to hop in and out of the shower - literally. My tailbone hurts and I'm thrilled. In bed, when I roll over, I roll over effortlessly. I used to have to heave myself up and then over. Yikes. I have a beautiful neck that I never knew existed. I have tiny wrists and ankles. My feet and toes are lean. My hair is falling out, but that's a whole other story. I'll take the hair loss in exchange for all the positives that have happened.

This has been the best decision of my life. No regrets, no wishing I hadn't done it, no mental health issues around my decisions. No depression (of which I have struggled with at times in my life).

I'm healthy strong and confident. I'm ready for whatever comes way.

Thanks for listening.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

TheRealMeWithin
on 7/15/18 8:19 am - Canada
RNY on 06/02/17

Congratulations on what sounds like an awesome 6 months!!! So glad to read how happy you are.

Surgery Jun.2/17 at TWH ----- HW 215 - SW 197.2 - GW 125 CW 124.6

Pre-Op=8.8lbs --- Optifast= 8.4 (was on it for 9 days due to cancellation)

M1 - 20.6... M2 -10.2... M3 -8.0... M4 -5.8... M5 -9.0... M6 -5.2... M7 -7.0... M8 -2.2... M9 -0.9... M10 -2.6... M11-0.6... M12-2.0

https://trendweight.com/u/6ffd55753da24d/

kamac
on 7/15/18 12:45 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

What an amazing read, especially for a newbie like me. Congrats on all your hard work and success!

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

wrkinprogress
on 7/17/18 2:46 pm

AMEN! I was going to say the exact same thing!

losingit_sa
on 7/15/18 5:17 pm
RNY on 08/17/18

Congratulations SweetRide!! You are a source of inspiration to me...now if you can just let me know how you managed to get to the "love working out" stage!! That's the one I can't even imagine!!

TWH (Toronto) | Starting Weight - 300, GW- 175

Referral: Jun 21/17 Orientation: Aug 23/17 NP: Sept 27/17 Social Worker: Sept 27/17 Nut Class: Oct 3/17 Sleep Study: Nov 6/17 NP Follow Up: Jan 3/18 Psych: Jan 12/18 Nut: Jan 15/18 Surgeon: June 1/18 Pre-Op: July 27/18 SlimTime: Aug 3/18 Surgery: Aug 17/18

SlimTime: -13.5 M1: -18 M2: -14 M3: -14.2 M4: -14.4 M5: -9.4 M6: -6.4 M7: -6.4 M8: ?

SweetRide1
on 7/16/18 3:40 am
RNY on 01/16/18

TBH I'm not sure what I did to love working out. I kinda use that time as "me" time and I immerse myself in it. I don't take my phone so no distractions. I just focus on me. As my body starting changing and muscle started appearing it spurred me on even further. I feel so energized after a workout. It's hard to explain.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

YYC_Healthy
on 7/15/18 6:12 pm
VSG on 05/23/18

Thank you for this inspiring post!

Liveyourlife
on 7/15/18 6:35 pm

You sound like you are in a fabulous place, keep up the great work. You will inspire those who are just staring their journey!

Orientation July, Surgeon consult Sept, Internist Nov, RD/RSW/RN Dec.

RNY March 2, 2018 HRRH Pam (49 / 5'5 ½)

HW: 237, PreOpti: 226, Opti: -10, M1: -20, M2: -12, M3: -13, M4 -10, M5 -9, M6 -7, M7 -2, M8 -3, M9 -1 CW 138

MichelleS61
on 7/16/18 7:25 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

Sounds like you're doing really great, I'm still having issues with the motivation for exercise, but am hoping to get there yet, funny thing is the last time I lost weight about 12 years ago it was mainly through exercise, but then arthritis/health issues/motivation got in the way and I just stopped.

But I've not had any food issues either which sometimes I think might be better if I did, just have to keep measuring portion sizes as I sometimes forget how small my pouch is, because I don't feel any different on the inside.

Those around me continue to be supportive, and other that some floppy wrinkled skin and digestive issues doing okay with my decision, energy level is much better, and over all health is a lot better too, although I sometimes need to remember the underlying issues are still there, just not as bad anymore (got viral infection and figured I didn't need to follow my previous antibiotics and prednisone protocol, but soon realized after a couple of days that weight loss wasn't curing years of respiratory issues, but caught it in time so didn't get pneumonia).

I think as I get closer to my goal it gets a little harder but I'm still motivated and was thrilled this weekend when the scale finally moved again.

Reading others stories who are on a somewhat parallel journey really helps keep me going.

Thanks for the update.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

SweetRide1
on 7/17/18 4:29 am
RNY on 01/16/18

Walk! Just walk for now. And when you want to build some muscle get back to the gym. Start slow. Maybe a class, maybe just the elliptical or even rowing. Do something you enjoy. The Y I go to has Zumba. I started with Zumba just to get moving and it was fun. Then I walked the treadmill. Then I wanted more. I haven't looked back since.

Most Active
Recent Topics