Surgery Booked and First Opti shake down the hatch!

Ontario_Girl
on 7/19/18 5:40 am - Canada

Good Morning Everyone!

I've been in this process for years. I originally went through, did the opti, but backed out 3 days before surgery due to nerves, and just not wanting/ready to give up food. I let food win. That was 3 years ago. Today, I am finally ready. In January I asked my doctor to refer me once again. She was happy to do so. After battling darn hpylori for the past few months, after 3 rounds of triple therapy I finally got the clear and was booked to meet the surgeon this week. We met yesterday, and booked surgery for August 23rd.

I was a little taken back. I was set on RNY. I have a history of GERD. But due to my BMI, he only approved me for the sleeve. He said he believed my GERD was caused by my weight and feels I will do good with the sleeve. And if anything, revision to RNY if I have any issues with acid. Im praying that won't be the case. But i'm excited for this new chapter. I started my day off with my first Opti shake today. 5 weeks of shakes to go, then loosers bench here I come!

Just a girl trying to become a better ME. Healthier ME. Learning to be happy with ME and love ME. One day at a time.

crqvingchange
on 7/19/18 7:00 am

You've got this girl. Saving a spot for you an the bench.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

kamac
on 7/19/18 8:03 am
VSG on 07/09/18

Congrats! Sounds like you've done a lot of hard work. I think it takes a lot of courage to recognize when you're not ready for something like this, even when you're that far into the process.

I was told at my "meet the surgeon" appointment that folks with my BMI have a higher likelihood of getting sleeved (our guts are just that much more smooched together). At first this set me into a panic, as I was set on RNY. But after doing some research and reading here, I was reassured (though I didn't have a real problem with GERD, only got heartburn when I ate certain junky foods, and only since being super obese).

Low and behold, I ended up with a sleeve.

They'll give you a PPI medication to take for the first 3 months post surgery, to reduce the amount of acid produced in your stomach. Some VSGers remain on PPIs indefinitely, and some revise to RNY if the reflux is too bothersome. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that I won't need to revise, but if I do, so be it.

Anyway, I'm sure you know all that already, lol. Congrats on your surgery date. There's a comfy spot waiting for you on the loser's bench!

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Mellywog
on 7/19/18 10:27 am
RNY on 06/17/19

Hello, I just got my referral so I have a lot to learn but it was my understanding that OHIP only covered RNY and not the sleeve. I am in Brampton ON.. Anyone close by?

SweetRide1
on 7/19/18 11:55 am
RNY on 01/16/18

OHIP covers the sleeve if that's what your surgeon deems the appropriate surgery for you.

You cannot expressly request it. In other words you can't pick the surgery you prefer. You can talk to your surgeon about it, which I did. He didn't think it was the appropriate surgery for me so I had RNY.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

kamac
on 7/19/18 12:09 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

Hi and welcome!

As Sweetride said, OHIP will cover VSG if your surgeon deems it medically necessary. Sometimes this is decided before surgery, and sometimes only after the surgeon "gets in there" and sees the lay of the land, so to speak. When you sign your medical consent for surgery, they usually have you consent for both RNY and VSG, just in case.

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Mellywog
on 7/19/18 12:25 pm
RNY on 06/17/19

Very interesting. Thank you for the information!

BattlecryForever
on 7/21/18 10:16 pm
On July 19, 2018 at 12:40 PM Pacific Time, Ontario_Girl wrote:

Good Morning Everyone!

I've been in this process for years. I originally went through, did the opti, but backed out 3 days before surgery due to nerves, and just not wanting/ready to give up food. I let food win. That was 3 years ago. Today, I am finally ready. In January I asked my doctor to refer me once again. She was happy to do so. After battling darn hpylori for the past few months, after 3 rounds of triple therapy I finally got the clear and was booked to meet the surgeon this week. We met yesterday, and booked surgery for August 23rd.

I was a little taken back. I was set on RNY. I have a history of GERD. But due to my BMI, he only approved me for the sleeve. He said he believed my GERD was caused by my weight and feels I will do good with the sleeve. And if anything, revision to RNY if I have any issues with acid. Im praying that won't be the case. But i'm excited for this new chapter. I started my day off with my first Opti shake today. 5 weeks of shakes to go, then loosers bench here I come!

What is your BMI? If it is so low that he didn't want to do the bypass, why did he prescribe 5 weeks of Opti? That seems like a really long time!!

Good luck with it!

Ontario_Girl
on 7/24/18 10:01 am - Canada

my BMI is higher... i'm not really sure what it is tbh. I am around 5"7/5"8 and was almost 400lbs at the highest when I started the program. Not sure what I am now. Haven't hopped on a scale since and next time will be for my pre op aug 14th :)

Just a girl trying to become a better ME. Healthier ME. Learning to be happy with ME and love ME. One day at a time.

RosieBelly
on 7/23/18 6:38 pm

Hey Girl

I know this is a little while after your original post but better late than never. I had the RnY so I cannot speak to the sleeve but seriously my GERDs is completely cured after the surgery, com-plete-ly!!!!!! - I always thought the H-pylori was the cause , abnormal cells, etc etc and now I know that there are a lot of docs who are just too polite to say that obesity is the cause. Whatever surgery you have you will probably stay on rabeprazole (or similar) for life because of your history. I am thrilled to tell you that I have not had any breakthrough for over six months I will be taking the rabe for life but the lack of GERDS in my life is a blessing. Good luck with the OPTI and best of luck with the surgery!

referred Jan 2016 intake May 2016 left programme returned June 2017 final pre-sx class Oct 2017 surgeon appt Oct 2017

Opti Wt Nov 4/17 226 lbs BMI 45 Sx Wt 212 lbs RNY surgery Nov 23/17 M1 -18 M2-9 M3-10 M4-8 M5-6 M6-7 M7-6 M8-3 M9-1(so far) Down to within one pound of my goal and 99 lbs down from my highest weight. I was not a fast loser but who cares as long as you get there! I know the newbies check the trackers and the signatures so although I kind of lost track of how the rest of the weight came off, you should know that it was not fast and furious but it was slow and steady!

current BMI 24.7 that, my friends, is NORMAL!!! Strong is the new pretty!

Most Active
Recent Topics