Keto Diet

corriev
on 7/24/18 11:07 am, edited 7/24/18 12:16 pm
VSG on 03/06/18

I have heard a lot of people doing Keto after WLS -

My sister is on Keto and lots almost 100 pounds in about 15 months. she hasn't had any WLS, but we were comparing notes while I was in Vancouver last week.

Any Thoughts on it?

crqvingchange
on 7/24/18 11:23 am

Right now I like the idea of Keto and IF. Because I am older than you Corrie, the idea of autophagy intrigues me. You are still a newbie, and Keto is only moderate protein. Because you are still healing, you may want to do a slightly modified version (for now) where you get in more protein, limit carbs, and increase healthy fats. As protein is the building matrix for cells, it will help with healing.

As you have seen from my daily menus, I eat avocado on a fairly frequent basis and I will put MCT-C8 on my side salads. I don't usually eat until later in the morning (around 11:30) and stop eating early in the evening.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

corriev
on 7/24/18 11:51 am
VSG on 03/06/18

Well Hello CRQ - i didnt manage to get to Buchard for you - sorry.

im not at all looking at it for my personal weight loss journey. Im doing just fine i think.. After chatting with my sister, Just thought i would put it out there for general discussion. I seen a few post where people are referencing the Keto life style after WLS.

SweetRide1
on 7/24/18 11:37 am
RNY on 01/16/18

I would agree that doing Keto this early on is not necessarily a good idea. Don't forget, high fat meals can cause dumping just like sugar can so you need to be careful. You need your protein. You may want to discuss this at your next clinic appointment and see what they think.

Why do you want to change up your eating so early out from surgery? You appear to be losing well and are having good results. Are you not happy with your current plan?

So here's another question, "Would you be able to sustain a keto diet longterm"? If the answer is no, then if you were to try it, and not be able to stick with it, then you might be setting yourself up for a yo yo dieting scenario.

I've been thinking about keto as a lifestyle and I know that I can't sustain it. I like my veggies too much and I know I can't stay that low carb. I also have high cholesterol so I would have to be careful. I just think I'd get bored.

My sister is doing it right now and has lost 30 lbs. I question whether she can stick with it and if not, what happens when she stops?

Lots to think about on this one. :)

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

corriev
on 7/24/18 12:11 pm, edited 7/24/18 5:11 am
VSG on 03/06/18

Thank Sweet - Im not changing, just put it out for conversation. I agree, not sure how sustainable it is, but to each there own.. Wonder if you liver doesnt take a hammering with the high fat ..

kamac
on 7/24/18 8:38 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

I've been doing a lot of reading on keto lately, as I'm planning to eat keto (more or less) once I'm done with fluids/purees/soft foods, at least until I get to goal.

My plan is to eat a high protein (100g) low carb (max 20g net carbs) diet of meat, full fat dairy, nuts, non-starchy vegetables, and low carb fruits like avocado and zucchini. Going to cut out all grains and sugar. Eat small portions (obviously) and keep a close eye on my calories.

I read a really great quote about doing keto for weight loss recently. I'm paraphrasing, but it was something like "if your body is already high in fat, you don't need to worry about eating high fat, just focus on low carbs". That makes sense to me. I'm not going to avoid healthy dietary fats, but I won't be looking for ways to deliberately inflate my fat intake either.

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

linda11665
on 7/25/18 6:20 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hi All, Love this board!!

As a 7 year vet, I do sort of follow a keto lifestyle. BUT!!!! I do work out 3-5 days a week. And when I say I work out, its running, weights, HIIT. So I am burning an average of 800 calories each time I work out. When I say sorta my good fats are not that high. I hardly eat any fruits due to the fact of reactive hypoglycemia and crohn's.

Keto is not for everyone, High fats, even if they are the healthy kind are not for everyone, each person is different in this journey.

But here is my question to you all, isn't this another quick fix diet plan? If you are willing to follow Keto as a lifestyle than by all means do so. But if you are a newbie YOU MUST follow what your weight clinic/team tells you to do.

In the end it is a choice. No judgement, Just please follow with a dietician. Our bodies are different after surgery. We absorb nutrients differently.

Have a super day!!!

Linda

Choose love, power, and acceptance instead of what we default to which is fear, dependence, and intolerance
Most Active
Recent Topics