I just want to eat solid food.

TBeat
on 9/6/18 4:13 pm

Yes, I realize this is all for a good reason which i am very excited for- but i really am sick of only liquids- also yes i know i'm only at the end of day 2. When does it get slightly better- when will sitting with my husband and son who are eating food not drive me insane- lol. I will say the taste of optifast wasn't as bad as i thought.

Referred 09/19/2017, Surgery 09/26/2018! SW 246.6 M1-

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/18 4:49 pm - Windsor, Canada
VSG on 08/27/18

I am 10 days post-op and I just said the same thing to my husband. I am so excited at the prospect of something solid. I added a bunch of spices to cream of tomato soup, and I am really loving that, but I really want something to sink my teeth into. A few more weeks ...

Monica9811
on 9/7/18 6:00 am - Peterborough, Canada

Cottage cheese is good during liquid stage. You can chew it!

SweetRide1
on 9/6/18 5:00 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

You can eat some veggies. I made either a salad for dinner or I had steamed veggies. It helped. If you aren't already, try some warm broth. It makes you feel a bit better too.

Unfortunately it is what it is.

It's actually going to be a while before you start eating solid food again. That first cracker, 3 weeks post surgery, was heaven sent! LOL

One day at a time. You'll get there.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

TBeat
on 9/6/18 5:29 pm

Thanks Guys, Broth has been good and I know solid food is a ways out- i figure the first week is hopefully the worst of it.

Referred 09/19/2017, Surgery 09/26/2018! SW 246.6 M1-

SweetRide1
on 9/6/18 5:43 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

You get used to it. The cravings lessen and it gets easier. By the end, I was full after 3 shakes. I couldn't get the 4th in.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

alaskasusan
on 9/7/18 9:21 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

I agree. I'm just starting the 3rd week of my 4-week puree stage (after emergency revision to RNY, so it's like a brand new pouch). I'm allowed nothing that requires chewing. But I'm so busy moving that I don't have time for much besides my protein shakes and soup. But the head hunger is fading more each day that goes by, and I have a ton of energy (but it's frustrating to move my household when I'm limited to 10 pounds still!).

Hang in there, do something to occupy your mind and hands and DRINK more water. That always helps and one can always use more water :) Good luck in reaching your goal!

Mellywog
on 9/10/18 11:28 am
RNY on 06/17/19

alaskasusan,

If you don't mind me asking, why did you have to have a revision to your RNY? Im just starting out so I am deep into my research phase.

alaskasusan
on 9/10/18 10:37 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

It was an unexpected revision - I woke up in unreal pain..but was NOT going to call 911 cuz I'm just that tough, ha! So I walked around in misery, carrying that phone for an hour before I realized it wasn't stopping, I could not drive myself and could barely talk when I reached 911. One ambulance ride to the ER, many tests, and a revision to my RNY due to perforated ulcers. They do not know what caused them as I have not taken NSAIDs since 2012, and the h. Pilori test came back negative; I also had no idea that I had ulcers! My original RNY was a dream, I went home the morning after my surgery; this one they really wanted to keep an eye on me and get the pain and fever under control, so I stayed for7 several days. I'm doing terrific now, can't wait to start working out again.

I have some of the benefit of a new RNY but not the metabolic change that one gets in the original because that part of the digestive system didn't change. He just cut out part of the old pouch and a length of intestine, then reattached to my new, smaller pouch.

Hopefully, this isn't something many others will go through. Guess I'll be trying to cough up the $5K it costs to get an annual EGD done (my deductible is way more than that) to avoid future episodes! ;)

Mellywog
on 9/11/18 6:23 am
RNY on 06/17/19

Thank you so much for sharing. It is definitely good for others to be aware of.

I can imagine, I would be like you thinking I could wait it out.

SO glad they figured out what was causing you the pain and were able to help you. Take good care of yourself.

Most Active
Recent Topics