Why Opti?

BattlecryForever
on 9/7/18 5:56 pm

Just wondering why Opti Fast is prescribed, as opposed to eating a calorie-restricted, high protein, low-carb diet for the 1-3 weeks before surgery? Is there some reason we have to drink our nutrients? Like why can't I have a hard-boiled egg or a piece of chicken instead of a stupid shake?

kamac
on 9/7/18 6:14 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

I don't really know, but my guess is it's easier to ensure compliance. You don't really have to think much about it, just drink your 4 shakes a day.

If we were all allowed to eat, there might be a higher rate of patients cheating. That might mean more patients with fatty livers. And that would mean an increased number of complications, or surgeons unable to complete the procedure once they get inside.

I myself did end up eating a restricted diet that mimicked the same macro counts as Opti, because it turns out I have an allergy to cow's whey (I can tolerate small amounts, but drinking liquid whey on a daily basis makes me quite sick). I basically ate yogurt, chicken, and vegetables.

It was good practice weighing and measuring my food. But I would have found it much easier if I could have just stuck with Opti. Some days when I wasn't hungry, I was almost gagging on the chicken. I would have much preferred an Opti shake!

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

rschwartz
on 9/10/18 11:44 am

I am surprised the clinic was ok with that. I am having to drink Vega All In One, as I am lactose intolerant and vegan and didn't want to chance felling sick.

St. Joe's Hamilton Orientation - Dec. 4/17; Pre-nutrition class - Feb. 9/18; Nurse - Mar. 12/18; CT Scan - Apr. 16/18; Gastroscopy - May 1/18; Internist Appt - May 3/18; Dietitian - June 11/18; Social Worker - July10/18; Consent - July 24/18; Surgery - Sept. 17;

kamac
on 9/10/18 3:19 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

I would have been fine with a non-whey protein shake substitute

But after the nurse decided I needed to stop Opti, the dietician had this special food plan at the ready for folks who couldn't do Optifast. I think they did phone me halfway through to make sure I was sticking to it.

Kara

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

BattlecryForever
on 9/7/18 6:17 pm

The issue is that I hate them, and have only been having 2 and a half a day. I know we are told we HAVE to drink all 4 to get the proper nutrients and protein, but I just can't do it. I'd rather just replace a shake or two with something healthy. At Guelph, not even jello or salad is allowed.

kamac
on 9/7/18 6:31 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

Have you been jazzing them up?

When I made them, I blended them with crushed ice in the blender, 2 cups cold water, a tsp of instant decaf coffee crystals, and some SF Torani Syrup (lots of flavours to choose from). They tasted like iced mochachinos.

If you can't get your hands on Torani (sometimes Amazon has it, I usually order from Buy Coffee Canada), know some folks use flavour extracts. You can get a variety at Bulk Barn; caramel, cinnamon, banana, cherry, etc.

From what I've read though, lots of ice and cold water are key to making Opti palatable. And the decaf crystals help cut the cloying sweetness.

Kara

-Vincent Van Gogh

BattlecryForever
on 9/7/18 6:34 pm
On September 8, 2018 at 1:31 AM Pacific Time, kamac wrote:

Have you been jazzing them up?

When I made them, I blended them with crushed ice in the blender, 2 cups cold water, a tsp of instant decaf coffee crystals, and some SF Torani Syrup (lots of flavours to choose from). They tasted like iced mochachinos.

If you can't get your hands on Torani (sometimes Amazon has it, I usually order from Buy Coffee Canada), know some folks use flavour extracts. You can get a variety at Bulk Barn; caramel, cinnamon, banana, cherry, etc.

From what I've read though, lots of ice and cold water are key to making Opti palatable. And the decaf crystals help cut the cloying sweetness.

Yes. I bought a few sugar free syrups from Winners, made them with coffee, made them with ice... still can't get 4 in.

I wish they tasted like iced mochachinos! :)

kamac
on 9/7/18 7:00 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

That sucks. I know they just taste gross to some people, no matter what. If you're really struggling to get all 4 shakes in, maybe call your center and see what they suggest.

Kara

-Vincent Van Gogh

Dee321ca
on 9/8/18 2:00 am, edited 9/7/18 7:00 pm

What flavours of syrup did you mix with the Opti? Ad was your Opti chocolate or vanilla?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Referral - June 2017, Ultrasound & ECG - October 2, 2017 Orientation - October 30, 2017, Sleep Study - December 21, 2017, Pre-Nutrition Class - December 29, 2017, Nurse's Appt - January 24, 2018, Gastroscopy - March 1, 2018, Social Worker & Internist - March 29, 2018, Dietitian - May 9, 2018. Signed Consent - August 7, 2018. Surgery Date: October 3rd!

kamac
on 9/8/18 4:57 am
VSG on 07/09/18

Both chocolate and vanilla. With the chocolate, I used SF Cherry or SF Salted Caramel.

With the vanilla, SF Salted Caramel and/or SF Chocolate (the Torani chocolate is more of a dark liqueur type flavour).

And I always used instant decaf crystals.

I only did about 4 days of Opti though. I can imagine it gets tough for 3-4 weeks. But having a safe, smooth surgery is a great motivator.

Kara

-Vincent Van Gogh

Most Active
Recent Topics