What do you / did you tell your extended family?

TwistedDutchess
on 9/25/18 9:16 am
RNY on 03/28/19

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I just had my first nutrition class and new questions and feelings have emerged. But the one that sticks out the most is "what do I tell my kind, but sometimes judgmental extended family?" I'm terrified they are going to say that I am using the easy way out. I've been a bit on the emotional side lately and I'm not sure if I could cope with the lack of support.

Just to be clear, my husband and my immediate family are completely on board with my journey and I have lots of love around me.

xo

Ginnny
on 9/25/18 11:09 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I didn't tell anybody other than my husband and one close friend. You don't have to tell anybody. It's your health your business.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

meontheweb
on 9/25/18 11:27 am - New Westminster, BC, Canada

I am not telling anyone - only my wife, and son knows. My wife's niece that lives with us "knows" (in the sense she hears us talking) but is not the nosy type and as such hasn't said anything to anyone either.

Tuktu
on 9/25/18 12:06 pm
RNY on 03/07/17

I was open and told everyone that asked. I didn't offer the information but if someone asked me I told them I had surgery. My family had all kinds of different reactions and comments but I figure its my life and I will do what I want and they can support me or judge me. Up to them, not me! But you have to do what feels right for you. I thought if I told only a few select people I would eventually forget who knew and who didn't and I would slip up.

You do whatever feels right to you. Lots of people tell no one or only really close family.

SweetRide1
on 9/25/18 2:32 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I told everyone however, in your situation maybe I wouldn't. Who needs the drama and the judgement right? You do what is comfortable for you. I probably wouldn't tell, but eventually they will figure it out.

BTW, this is anything BUT, the easy way out. That's just ignorance and you have to put it down to that.

MY bf said just the other day that he didn't realize how difficult this would be. He thought I just was going to eat less and the weight would fall off. As much as I tried to educate him before surgery he just didn't get it. He gets it now! LOL

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Lucile777
on 9/25/18 6:18 pm

I'm 11 months out and no one knows but me, God, and my husband. I've been mum and that has protected my emotions. People would definitely have judged me.

VioletFemme
on 9/25/18 6:25 pm, edited 9/25/18 11:26 am - Greater Toronto Area, Canada

I told my mom and brother pretty early in the process. I guess the rest of my family will find out once I?m in the hospital ?cause news will travel fast. I don?t really care what my family thinks, but I only see a few times per year. However, I don?t think they?ll be negative.

I am more nervous about work/co-workers.

Female 30s Canada
RNY January 4, 2019
I lost 100% of my excess weight.
Currently re-comping body/losing vanity pounds prior to plastics.

meontheweb
on 9/27/18 4:26 pm - New Westminster, BC, Canada

I will tell people when the day is closer, but it will be like "I've got to remove my gall bladder" or "Jeez... this ulcer is killing me". :-)

I remember when my dad had an ulcer removed, he lost quite a bit of weight and gained very little back. Another friend had his gall bladder removed and also lost a lot of weight and didn't gain any back.

However I realize with bariatric surgery once it's gone, it's gone and people will notice/talk. :-)

Murt65
on 9/26/18 3:38 am

My immediate family knew all through the process but I didn't tell my parents and sister until the day before. That way they didn't have time to try to influence me. After the surgery I only told my closest friends. Other people just think I'm working hard to lose weight. That's enough. Surprisingly, every single person I told was incredibly supportive. I didn't have anyone judge. It's been great. Good luck.

St. Joes Hamilton - Referral June 16, Orientation Aug 16, Group Dietitian May 5, Nurse May 15, Social Worker Aug 15, 1:1 Dietitian Aug 15, Medical Internist Sept 18. Meet Surgeon Nov. 2/17 Preop Feb 12/18 Surgery Feb 16/18

Chrissyq333
on 9/26/18 5:32 am - Sudbury, ON
RNY on 10/29/18

I am still pre-op, I've told everyone close to me. A few others as well. I am not ashamed, or do I care if they know or what they will say. Most people that know me know that I have been struggling to lose the weight for 7 years. They've seen me drop 130 lbs twice and still it won't stay off. So they can have their opinion, but the only thing that matters is that this is what you want wholeheartedly.

Referral date: March 20, 2018 Orientation Date: May 30, 2018 Surgery date: October 29, 2018 with Dr Rotstein at St Micheal's in Toronto.

Most Active
Recent Topics