One Month Follow Up

(deactivated member)
on 9/27/18 7:22 pm - Windsor, Canada
VSG on 08/27/18

I had my one month follow up today and it went really well. The doctor was pleased with my progress (42 pounds since July 30th, and 8" off my waist since April 18th.) I haven't taken my diabetes meds since surgery and have been given clearance to continue without them. I am to cut back on / or stop my blood pressure meds as well. I'm checking it every morning, if it goes below 100 then I have to stop. My lowest has been 103/60. I'm a bit afraid to go off completely though ... She suggested every other day so I think I may try that first.

The dietician said I'm doing well but recommended I stay away from red meat for awhile (made chilli with ground beef and even though it doesn't bother me at all, she says it is hard on the system ... Once in a rare while is okay, just not all the time.) I was surprised when she said no strenuous activity for six months ... Basic walking only. Apparently, anything intense is too much stress on the system.

She also wants me to cut back on some of my vitamins. Because I had the sleeve instead of RNY, she says I don't need two multivitamins a day. She also said, because I'm drinking 2 Premier Protein shakes a day, plus eating cheese, yogurt, and eggs, that I am getting a fair bit of calcium, so I should cut back from 3 times a day to just twice. I'm not sure how I feel about that; I am afraid of bone loss.

Finally, both the doctor and the nurse reassured me about getting the sleeve. I was really worrying about GERD and the possibility of needing a revision down the road, but basically they told me not to worry about it unless it happens.

I should also mention that my pain FINALLY went away. I am feeling somewhat normal again. The doctor agreed that it was most likely muscle pain as I had no other symptoms. I am just so happy to be able to stand up without psyching myself up for it, or bend over to pet my cats. I know I'm not through the hard part yet, but I do feel like I've made good progress.

jayjen789
on 9/28/18 3:06 am - Greater Toronto Area, , Canada
RNY on 12/12/18

Wow! Amazing and happy to hear that you are feeling somewhat normal.

Referral May 2018, Humber River (HRRH) Orientation June 2018...Surgery December 2018

Tuktu
on 9/28/18 7:48 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Congratulations on all your progress - sounds like you are doing great and following the doctors orders is key to your success! So nice cutting back on the medications - that must feel great! You must be so exicted to not feeling more like yourself. Keep to walking - its easier on the system - ask if you can do water aerobics as it is fairly gentle as well on your still healing body

wrkinprogress
on 9/28/18 8:37 am

Sooo happy to hear that the pain is gone!

It sounds like they were pretty thorough with your follow-up appointment, you are doing things right so just keep it up! Wonderful weight loss and inches lost :)

Thanks again for the update...very encouraging.

SweetRide1
on 9/28/18 8:56 am
RNY on 01/16/18

You are doing great. Keep it up and do what they tell you. Congratulations!

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Kathy S.
on 9/28/18 8:59 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

You are doing GREAT and thanks for sharing the advice, it may help others. We look forward to your updates and watching you become the incredible shrinking lady

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Stitch83
on 9/28/18 7:14 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

Congrats on your progress! Just wanted to say Windsor dieticians told me to not have red meat either because it was hard on the system. I ignored that because it didn't hurt or bother me and I wanted the variety, had gotten feedback on here that red meat was fine. Now I think I was eating it around 10 weeks and it went fine but just wanted to say...it's fine to eat a little red meat!

HW: 285 SW: 260 CW: 134 Dr. Grantcharov, St. Michael's

Referral: May 2017 Orientation: June 5/17 Nurse: Aug. 17/17 Doctor/Dietician/SW finished by Dec. 11/17 Surgical Ed. Class: Dec. 18/17 Surgeon: Jan. 9/18 Surgery: February 26, 2018!!

oneatatime
on 10/1/18 11:07 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Congratulations on all your progress!! I also ate (and still do) red meat with no problems. I had RNY though. I am not sure if that makes a difference.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Most Active
Recent Topics