question about hormones

hazmat11
on 2/9/09 5:21 am
Ok I admit I was going through menopause when I had my RNY. I have had a strange side effect. I feel like someone has just flipped a switch and turned me off. I think the only hormones I had were stored in my fat and as I am losing it  I have none left. I had been told it would be better not to take hormones but.... Has anyone else dealt with this? I am not to pleased as I am and I am thinking about asking to be put on hormones. Any advice would be appreciated.
Susie

Jean M.
on 2/9/09 5:48 am
Revision on 08/16/12
I'm not quite clear on what symptoms you're having, but I'll tell you what my experience has been.

I went through early menopause at age 38.  Although I had hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, vaginal dryness, libido changes and all the rest of it, I took only Evista (to protect my bones - does nothing for the other stuff) for years.

Then I had a complete hysterectomy.  I thought, "I've already been through menopause, so this won't be any big deal."  Wrong.  The hot flashes and mood swings were unbearable.  I was so miserable that I finally started taking Premarin, and the symptoms went away.  Last year my GYN suggested cutting my dose in half, which has worked out fine, but around the time I got to my goal weight, I started having hot flashes again.  I'm going for my annual checkup in a few weeks and we're going to discuss taking me off the Premarin altogether.  I'll give it a try, but I dread having the symptoms worsen.

I have also tried testosterone therapy for the libido problem.  It didn't help and the side effects (facial hair growth and bad acne on my face, chest, back, and arms) were no fun, so I stopped.

So my suggestion is: unless you're at high risk of breast cancer, give HRT a try, at least on a temporary basis.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Sandra B.
on 2/9/09 6:03 am - MI
Hi:  I had  open RNY 9-15-08 and before my surgery I was taking a compound mixture my doctor had prescribed.  They test your blood for  the hormone content, what you have and what you don't and then a pharmist who deals with this, they call them a compound pharmist will make up a dose that meets your requirements.  I had to go off of my treatment 6 weeks before my surgery and I thought  O-BOY-what have I done, but guess there was enough medication in my body before the surgery I didn't have any problems.  Since my surgery I have not taken any hormones, don't have any hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, etc., at all.  Whatever happened in my body following the surgery I am thankfull for--I am 62 years old, had a complete hysterectomy 19 years ago, so  please speak to your doctor about getting a compound made up for you, EVERYTHING else on this old body is working !!!  I have lost 85 pounds and 12 dress sizes, and feel terrific.  Take care--Sandra

Sandra B

Kathie L.
on 2/9/09 6:48 am - Castaic, CA
Hi Susie,

I had my RNY on 10/21/07 (I was 56) and having regular menstrual periods. Six months later I was still having peiods and had a total hip replacement and had lost of my weight and my periods stopped. Summer 08 was awful with hot flashes all hours of the day and night. I suffered until I couldn't any longer and went to my doctor and begged for hormone replacement therapy. After 2 months I began having light periods again (4 months now) and feel great! I had tried black cohash which didn't help at all. I will try to remain on the HRT as long as possible and since I'm not in a high risk. HRT will keep our bones, hair, skin, etc. all much younger. Hope this helps.

California Kathie
RNY - 10/07
Rt. Hip Replacement - 4/08
Upper Body Lift - 11/08 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Lower Body Lift - 3/09 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
hazmat11
on 2/9/09 7:08 am
Thanks for the advice. I have an appointment with my pcm on the 23rd and I am going to ask for something.
Susie

Eileen Briesch
on 2/10/09 9:45 am - Evansville, IN
I was on a couple of patches pre-WLS because I had such bad periods and was headed into menopause. But went off the HRT patches before surgery. All was pretty good until about a year after ... then the hot flashes, mood swings, insomnia returned. My gyne put me on Combipatch twice a week for two weeks, then we switch to Vivelle dot (estrogen only) the other two weeks.

This was about the time when the study came out that said all HRT was bad for all women ... my gyne said that study was flawed, it was done on women in their 70s who were at risk for heart disease. Last year, another study came out saying the exact same thing she told me. My gyne is a smart woman! She said as long as it's low dose and it's monitored well and not done long-term, you should be OK.

So talk to your doctor ... get some help. You shouldn't suffer.

Eileen Briesch

lap rny 6-29-04

[email protected]

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 371 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1169 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1177 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!