i guess i STILL get Migraines... Ughhhhh

Lileee
on 2/8/11 8:22 pm
i was praying that Maybe... just MAYBE having RNY might help with my Chronic Migraines... BUT i got a BAD one on Monday and had to leave work early yesterday because it hadnt gone away yet... and i really hate it that i cant take my ALEVE anymore!!! ive tried all the Triptans and none of them worked for ME... BUT for some reason Naproxen and Vicodin help... and i still CAN take the Vicodin so i used that on Monday... but i didnt help... Ughhhhhh...  anyone else get Chronic Migraines that might have some Advice for Me???

Start Weight 275 - im 52yrs Old - 5'7"

had my RNY January 10th 2011

275/230!!!/150

Monica B.
on 2/8/11 9:13 pm - Emery, SD
Morning, miagraines are horrid. Yes, stay away from the NSAIDS, very dangerous for us. Speak with your doctor about what will help. Look into more "natural" tx. Good luck. Remember that when you lose the fat inside, many hormones are locked into the fat are released. That estrogen is specially strong and can make one feel like menopause again. This can also trigger miagraines.
Happy day, Monica

Laureen S.
on 2/8/11 9:16 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Lileee

Migraines are often related to hormonal fluxes, in addition to stress and there are also food factors to consider, so while I don't know what triggers yours, I can't really say what will work, but definitely try seeing when they hit what you've been eating, which should be easier, as being a RNYr, we keep food logs (at least it is a good suggestion that we do that).  I suffer from occular migraines, which are definitely from stress in my life, not as severe anymore, but I just kind of go into a quiet, darkened area and let it pass.  Since I've had my RNY, I've not taken any NASIDS, as they errode the stomach lining and with our new smaller pouch, that is what makes them a danger to us, most especially in the first year.  Some surgeons will relent on taking them further out, with provisions of taking Nexium and/or some food and not on a daily routine.  So while I don't think I answered your question in completion, I'm sure someone might have an answer.

Good luck and hope they don't come too frequently for you.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Eileen Briesch
on 2/9/11 4:05 am - Evansville, IN
I take topamax (or actually, the generic equivalent, topiramate), which is a migraine preventive. Works great, and has a wonderful side effect of weight loss and helps with the carb cravings (or it did at first).

I have been using that for five years and it works well. When I do get a migraine, they're not as bad. I take imitrex when I do get one. Natural helps are ice packs on the back of the neck, or heat packs or hot showers or Vicks vaporub on the forehead and temples.

You might also want to try tramadol (it's the generic for ultram). Less sedating than vicodin.

Eileen Briesch

lap rny 6-29-04

[email protected]

Lileee
on 2/9/11 8:21 pm
No Thank You to the TOPAMAX...!  i tried that and turned into a Zombie!!! i dont even know how i took it for 2 weeks! it really put me in the Twilight Zone...  ive never tried Ultram tho... maybe ill ask my PCP about that... i LOVE Vicodin! and it does help sometimes BUT my PCP hates to give it to me because its Addictive...  is Ultram addictive too?

Start Weight 275 - im 52yrs Old - 5'7"

had my RNY January 10th 2011

275/230!!!/150

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 362 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1161 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1167 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!