Hi, I'm new here

barefootcajun
on 7/8/12 12:08 pm - New Orleans, LA
RNY on 07/17/12
 My name is Michele and I'm 50.  I'm having RNY surgery on July 17th.  Looking forward to getting to know folks here and gain some insight from your experiences.
 My blog Living (Not So) Large - http://barefootcajun.wordpress.com  
RNY Surgery July 17, 2012

Patricia R.
on 7/8/12 7:27 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Michele,
Welcome to the most loving place on the Internet.  Wow, your surgery is right around the corner.  How exciting.  

Some tips to help you right now is to practice deep breathing exercises right now.  Also, starting taking your walks right now will help you.  Once you are post-op, as soon as they let you, begin your sipping and walking regimen.  I was blessed because I was already a walker, and did my breathing exercises weeks before my surgery.  

Three words to memorize for your immediate recovery period.  Sip, Walk, Rest.  My hospital got me out of bed four hours post-op for my walks.  It helps prevent clots, and helps get rid gas that you will develop from the air they pump into you during surgery.

I have more post-op preps you can do now, if you want.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Nancy H.
on 7/8/12 11:06 pm - Traverse City, MI
Welcome to our group!!! Nan
Connie D.
on 7/9/12 12:39 am
Hello Michele and Welcome to OFF!!! So glad you have decided to join us!

Congrats on your upcoming surgery!! RNY saved my life! I wish you the very best!!

Trish gave you some good advice so I won't repeat it. We are all here to support each other and will help any way we can.

Remember to take a small pillow with for the ride home. Hold it against your tummy. If you hit a bump you will be glad it is there.

HUGS....connie d
Mag (Marguerite) P.
on 7/9/12 4:13 am - Green Valley, AZ
Hi Michelle,

Ditto on what everyone else has said. Glad to meet you. My RNY has been the best thing I have done for myself in 30 or 40 years. Off over 1/2 my medications. Rarely have to go to the doctor any more. Can walk now which was so difficult before. Nothing but good reports from me.
   best of everything to you.    Mag   

Mag (Marguerite) P.
on 7/9/12 4:17 am - Green Valley, AZ
P. S.  I'm a barefoot Midwest farmer's daughter. You can take the girl off the farm, but you can't take the farm out of the girl.  New Orleans is a great place. Love to visit. My Sis goes to the wonderful jazz festivals every year. What a great place to live, eh?    Mag 

barefootcajun
on 7/9/12 9:06 am - New Orleans, LA
RNY on 07/17/12
 Mag - I love this city.  I am from the west end of the state but New Orleans was always like a second home to me.  We moved here four years ago and I keep telling my husband he'll have a really hard time getting me to leave when we retire.  

We'll have to meet up next time you visit.

Judy G.
on 7/9/12 6:53 am - Galion, OH

Hello and WELCOME!!!!! Congrats also on your date and getting to a new life!!! Hope to see you here and getting to know you better!!! Hang on its a wild ride!!!

Pack some chap stick...thats about all you will really need...Best wishes!!!

HUGS

barefootcajun
on 7/9/12 9:04 am - New Orleans, LA
RNY on 07/17/12
 Thank you all for being so welcoming and providing such good advice.  What a rollercoaster this has been.  Here in LA only 15% of insurance companies cover WLS.  I have wanted surgery for so long but never had an insurance company that would cover it and we certainly couldn't afford to pay cash.  

Four years ago I went to work for the state.  A few months ago the agency that administers our insurance policies entered into a pilot program with LSU's Pennington Biomedical Research Center.  The program has both a non-surgery path and a surgery path.  We were able to choose which path we wanted.  We had to go through an initial qualification process then our names were put in a lottery with only a certain number drawn from each region to make it fair.  I never win anything but I won that lottery and it is truly better than money.  But winning that lottery still didn't guarantee that I would be chosen for surgery.  I had to jump through all the normal hoops - dietician, psychologist, two weeks on a liquid diet, labs, EKG, prove I could walk at least 1/4 mile.  After I completed all of that, my chart went to a medical review board.  It was up to them not only as to whether or not I would even have surgery but also what kind of surgery I would have.  Their goal is 75% lap bands, 25% sleeves, and 25% RNY.  I made it through the panel getting the surgery I have wanted.  There are only three centers in the state that they qualified along with their bariatric surgeons and we go to choose where we would like to go.  Although one of the centers is closer to me, the doctor I have always wanted to do my surgery is one of the approved surgeons so I'm getting the surgery I wanted, by the doctor I wanted, and paid for 100% by insurance.  I don't know how I got so lucky but I am thrilled.

Debbiejean
on 7/9/12 11:55 am - Shelbyville, MI
Welcome Michele and embrace your new life style change with your arms wide open. We will cheer you on!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 357 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1152 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1163 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1102 views