Sleeve surgery at 68?? What do we think??

elliekay949
on 9/15/17 6:04 pm
VSG on 09/26/17

I'm 68 this month and am scheduled for vertical sleeve on 9/26/2017. I must admit being both excited and quite afraid. I don't know if my age will make the surgery more difficult or the recovery longer. Any help from someone in my age group that has had the surgery would be wonderful. Thanks in advance for your posts.

Donnia66
on 9/15/17 6:55 pm
VSG on 09/07/16

Hi! I had my vertical sleeve 9/7/16. I was 68. I am 5'5". My highest weight was 285. I was 262 when I had surgery. My goal was 170. I am now 149. I have had no complications. I am so happy I did the surgery. I do have some loose skin, but, I am very proud that I am finally slim. I just dress covering my issues, as I am not interested in skin removal at my age. I was very tired for several weeks after surgery. They reminded me it was major surgery. Also, age! But, I have absolutely no regrets. Only wish I would have done sooner!

elliekay949
on 9/16/17 6:27 pm
VSG on 09/26/17

Hi Donnia66 and thanks for your response. You are helping me feel very hopeful about the surgery and glad to know I'm not alone in that a.g.e. thing. Glad you are doing so well !!!

Ready2goNOW
on 9/16/17 6:29 pm

Hi Ellie!

I had my sleeve done in October 2015 and had no problems whatsoever. However, I did work hard the 9 months prior to surgery to make sure I was in the best condition I could be.

I worked with a dietician for 6 months and dropped 75 pounds. I was 350 when I started my journey & 275 when I got on the operating table. I had been walking everyday and was up to about 30-45 minutes prior to surgery. And I cut down on eating out and sugar.

I had/have chronic a-fib, HBP, sleep apnea, pre-diabetes and severe fatigue prior to the surgery. My knees killed me. I still have afib, but the sleep apnea is gone as well as the pre-diabetes. The fatigue was due to the weight, afib, meds & other factors so I still deal with that.

I got down to 230 and goal was 225. I would go up & down about 5 pounds based on how much I ate & exercised. Unfortunately I became seriously ill this past year and could not exercise. I couldn't do much of anything so I began eating and have gained back 20 pounds. But I hope I can get it off once I am released from medical care next month.

I would do this again in a heartbeat. I was worried about having the surgery at 58...especially w/the heart condition, but it was SO easy. Even if you had any problems with recovery I think you would be glad you did it in the long run.

Best of luck!

Come back and let us know how it went!

Kathy

Kathy

elliekay949
on 9/17/17 5:55 am
VSG on 09/26/17

Hi Kathy. You are such a strong woman and good for you ! I'm sure when you're well enough you will whip those 20. Thanks so much for the encouragement. Will keep you posted!! Ellen

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 371 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1169 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1177 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1115 views