OT--Katrina helping in a small way

a downeast yankee -.
on 9/8/05 9:06 pm - Ocala, FL
Good morning everyone! Sorry for not being on the boards more often lately, but I have been trying to do a little something to help out the victims of Katrina. I have been taking RV's to Gonzalez, Louisiana, to a staging area for evacuees. Here is a description of what I have personally seen along the route. Thought y'all would like to know this. To see this on TV is one thing, to experience it is another.... Going from Ocala thru Alabama, Mississippi and then to Louisiana--Gonzalez to be exact. The utter devastation......there is really no words to describe the tragedy. As riding along I-10, you smell the stench of the raw sewage and the death of animals and more than likely some humans. There was a huge fuel holding tank for Chevron that was sitting along side the interstate, and it was supposed to be across the interstate at it's proper location. A barge had crashed into part of I-10 in Pascagoula, Mississippi, knocking out part of the bridge. Water oak trees are turned upside down and turned into toothpicks. Buildings are totally wiped out or all the windows are blown out. Some areas are still without power. Metal poles are twisted and turned into little balls. There was a van that was twisted and sitting along side the interstate, but the words OK was written on it twice, meaning everyone made it safe out of the van. People are lined up along side the interstate just with what they can carry in their vehicles, sitting in long lines just waiting to be able to get some fuel. In some areas, they are camped outside of their vehicles overnight just waiting to get fuel in the morning. In those situations, only people hauling relief for the victims are able to get thru and get fuel, like I did the other night in Biloxi, Mississippi. I seen cars with their windshields blown out, but the vehicles are still drivable and they are driving down the interstate that way. I also seen a pick up truck hauling his 5th wheel with only a half a windshield, atleast he has shelter and transportation. So, if you have a roof over your head, some food and water, a full fuel tank, some money in your pocket and water to drink--be VERY THANKFUL. I praise God for what we have, and for allowing me to be able to help the victims in a small way. If you can contribute, take donations to your local church, humane society, Salvation Army or local RV dealership that are sending units for the victims, and the supplies will get to them. I am home right now, but expect to be making some more trips with RV's for the victims. To God be the glory! ~Roiann and Chico (a rescued mexican hairless xolo dog) who has been riding shotgun with me!
pattyp
on 9/19/05 12:01 am - Loserland, GA
God Bless you, Roiann. Every trip that you and Chico make is a blessing to someone. That's got to feel good. Patty
Most Active
Recent Topics
Insurance for Owner Ops
me D. · 0 replies · 541 views
New :)
KellyJTn · 5 replies · 316 views
Anyone volunteering ??????
pattyp · 0 replies · 327 views
Life On the Road after WLS.....
pattyp · 0 replies · 300 views