Questions re surgery - my son going in Tuesday 10/21

Wendy M.
on 10/18/08 7:11 am - Spokane, WA
My son has lost 167 lbs (through Jenny Craig) and is having abdominoplasty on Tuesday.  He is, understandably, very nervous.  He is 33 and in very good physical shape now.  Evidently they will also do some liposuction as well.  I just have a few questions (he doesn't want to come on line afraid he'll get even more scared!).  Anyway, what kind of things did you eat after surgery?  They told him mostly liquids and soft foods for first 4-5 days so doesn't get constipated.  Also, how long are drains usually in for?  He said he heard from someone else that you need to use something to hold them in place when you shower - what do you use?  Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  I know every surgeon is different, but just wanted to hear from others that have had this procedure.  Thanks.
Jackie G.
on 10/18/08 8:13 am - MI
Bravo to him for losing.......................I ate cereal for breakfast and mashed potatoes and cottage cheese etc, but they gave me normal food after surgery,  They tried to give me a roast beef on rye with lettuce and tomato but this Lap Band girl doesn't do bread as it gets stuck and I didn't want to get rid of that after having my tummy cut.....I had 4 drains, two removed after one week, the other two will probably be removed on the 25th when I go back.
I feel great.  I pin the drainage tubes to a utility belt that they give you at the hospital. When you shower you pin them to the belt,  The garment is open in the "area" so you don't have to remove it while using the restroom.  You unpin the drainage grenades (as we call them my children and I)  we also call the belt my Batwoman utility belt and grenades....giggle.
he will get the hang of it I am sure and will be so happy with the results.

My Surgeon reccommended that I use a soap like Dove for example.

Bacutracin Zinc ointment on my incisions  
Gauze pads
Best of luck to your son, he will be so pleased.
Let him rest and do all you can for him.
Jackie
Wendy M.
on 10/18/08 9:26 am - Spokane, WA
Thanks, Jackie - I appreciate the info.  I know it will be a learning experience for me, too.  I had gastric sleeve surgery on September 5, so in a few years I know I will be going through the same thing.  How long ago was your surgery?  Best of luck to you.  Wendy
Loris
on 10/18/08 12:41 pm - Midlothian, VA
My drains were pinned to my garment with safety pins.  When I showered I hung them on a cord around my neck.  Yogurt is a good choice, as well as cottage cheese.  Many of us take a stool softener with each pain pill because they are so constipating.  The drains are usually removed one at a time as they reach a really low output.  It can be any where from a few days to a few weeks.  He'll need lots of fluids to flush out fluid retention and lots of protein for healing.  Good luck to him, Loris

Loris  344/119@ 5'2" Below Goal                    
                                     Lower body lift  10/17/2007
                                     Upper body lift     1/23/2008

sspev
on 10/20/08 5:56 am - Seattle area (Everett), WA
The pain meds cause constipation -- you can buy Mirilax over the counter now.  It's very gentle, and works usually within 2 -3 days.  The directions on the Mirilax say 1 dose per day, but my surgeon recommended 2 x per day (morning and evening).

For the drains, I don't like things hanging on me.  When showering, I put them all into a plastic bag, and used a shower curtain rod clip to hang the bag from a towel bar within my shower area.  I also like that because I have a stool in the shower, so when I sit down on the stool, I can move the bag down lower, so that it never pulls.
Most Active