Breast Lift or Breast Reduction?

Rachel1219
on 3/10/09 1:30 pm - IL
I'm looking at doing plastics this summer and am not sure if I should be looking at BL or BR.  I already got denied insurance approval for Breast Reduction but was thinking of appealing (they didn't have any of my supporting documentation).  But I'm not sure if Breast Reduction is right?  I was always about a 36D prior to my pregnancies and big weight gain.  After pregnancies I was about a 42DDD.  Now, after RNY, I'm back to about a 38D.  I don't really want to be much smaller, I just want them pushed up a big and shaped a little better. 

What exactly is the difference between the two?  Can I achieve good results with just the lift? 

I'm looking at doing this at the same time as a Full TT with Diastais Recti Repair.

Thanks for your answers!

-Rachel
DEBI R.
on 3/10/09 5:59 pm - CORSICANA, TX
Hi Rachel, from my understanding in order to get insurance to pay for a reduction a certain amount of tissue has to be removed so you would definately go down in cup size.  A lift would keep you the same size but raise the breasts. You might want to google and see what the differences are.  I started out a 54DDD and am now a 38D and don't want to go smaller in the cup but do need a lft. Good luck.  Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

rainesmom
on 3/10/09 11:19 pm - Anahuac, TX
I'm going in for a Lift and implants.  I've heard that you lose a cup size with the lift alone?  Not sure if that is right or not.  I just don't want to be smaller either. 

' Lara

230/137/145
top weight/current weight/goal weight

Redhaired
on 3/11/09 12:14 am - Mouseville, FL
I had a lift and ended up wearing the same size bra as I did before the lift.  Only now they are perky!    I had been a 44-46DD and now I am a 36C.  My surgeon does not recommend doing the augmentation and lift at the same time.  But honestly I do not think I am going to do the augmentation. 

Red

CareNH
on 3/11/09 3:22 am - Derry, NH
Hi Rachel-
My measurements have been similar to yours. At my largest, I was a 44DDD. Now after losing 135 lbs, I am a 38D. I am getting ready to have a Breast Lift and Panniculectomy on April 8th.
My surgeon told me that inorder to have a reduction(covered by Ins.), Insurance companies require a minimum of 300cc removal from each breast...some even require more than that.
He maneuvered my breasts and said that after removing that much tissue- I would be left with a small B or A. (I am 5'10- and he said he would never do that and that I would be very unhappy and disproportionate) I agreed! I am so used to having large girls- I just want them where they belong!
He took measurements and noted that "ideal" nipple placement should be about 21 cm from the clavicle. Mine are just about 35-36cm.....so he recommended the lift. (Not covered by insurance) and was able to manipulate the tissue to show me what an end result would look like.
I am sooooo excited to have perky breasts for the first time in..well...forever! He thinks that I will still be a D or full C after surgery.
I will have to wait to see the results- but I am optimistic.
Carolyn

Highest Weight- 306, BMI: 43.9
Current Weight- 168, BMI: 24.1
Goal Weight- 165,  BMI:  23.6

Most Active