Panniculectomy vs. Abdominoplasty

Heather M.
on 3/14/09 9:05 am - Westmont, IL

Hi All!

This may sound like a silly question, but what is the difference between a panniculectomy and an abdominoplasty?  I am finally having my surgery next Wednesday.  WOOHOO

I went in for my anesthesia consult Friday and I am marked down for surgery for a panniculectomy and full tummy tuck.  I am confused. 

Any idea?  I thought they were the same thing.

THANKS!

~~Heather
Pre/Goal/Now   307/180/150  BMI 22.8

whisperingliz
on 3/14/09 9:19 am - paramount, CA
You know what? With me it's wierd also, they told me i was approved for a panniculectomy, but my doctor is doing an abdominalplasty.  The secretery told me not to worry that it's the same coverage, which I was confused because they are DIFFERENT things.

Panni is just the skin hanging under your navel, they remove that area only. Abdominalplasty is the remove skin above your navel and they tighten your muscles.

Heather M.
on 3/14/09 9:35 am - Westmont, IL
That is strange.  I know my doc is doing a TT because he talking about pulling skin down and then pulling skin up and moving my bellybutton.  Oh it is all so confusing.  I need to add that to my list of questions when I go in for my markings the day before.  hmmmm  I don't care what he does as long as the extra skin is GONE!  hehe

~~Heather

Brandi7920
on 3/14/09 10:21 am - Nashville, TN
The way I understand it a panniculectomy = skin removal and tummy tuck = muscle resection (tightening the muscles).
RNY 02/16/04
LBL, MTL, Lipo 06/04/09
351lb to 170lb
Wendy_Canada
on 3/14/09 10:30 am - Canada
I am confused to. My provincial insurance is paying for panni and i am paying the difference for a tummy tuck.  He is removing the skin on the bottom from hip to hip and  plus above the belly button vertical up to just to below my breast. I am also having a breast lift.  When i asked him about my stomach muscles he said they were tight and didn't need to be done.  I asked about a tummy tuck and he said its kinda a catch all term and a tummy tuck is what you make it.  Now this guy is a well known board certified plastic surgeon up here so i don't feel i'm being ripped off but i am confused on how the term "tummy tuck" is used like you ladies are

Wendy

BigCityGirl
on 3/14/09 10:47 am - San Diego, CA
The abdominal muscles are sutured together with a TT or LBL, and not with a panni.  Get a TT if  you have a choice - it will define a waist, while a panni just removes the skin.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Heather M.
on 3/15/09 12:24 am - Westmont, IL
I am pretty sure that I am getting both because the doc talked of muscles and 2 incisions and removing skin up above the bellybutton etc.  I wrote a longer response down below. =)

~~Heather

happy girl
on 3/14/09 11:41 am
my understanding is that the panniculectomy is just the removal of skin.  That is what my insurance approval is for, but my Dr is doing the muscle work for free, I guess you could say.  

I am having a fleur de lys incision which goes all the way up my stomach and will remove the upper skin and give me a more defined waist.

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

gypsywoman6789
on 3/14/09 11:10 pm - Hudson, NH
I just had a consult about 3 weeks ago.  My understanding is that the TT includes the muscle tightening which is not usually covered by insurance.  So for the moment I am scheduled for just a panni, I am going to ask the PS about paying for the muscle tightening myself.  I am also going to have the fleur de lis incision because of the way my skin and fat hang/are located.  Depends on your body type and where you carry weight.

And I agree that the term TT is used universally especially with someone who maybe never had GB and therefore doesn't have a panni to remove but maybe just has loose skin from pregnancies etc.

Anyone having this surgery needs to know whether or not the muscle tightening is being done at the same time and also if insurance is covering that part of the procedure.
Heather M.
on 3/15/09 12:23 am - Westmont, IL
Your incision sounds like that might be the one I am having or it is an anchor incision?  Check out what I wrote below.  I am ready for it to be over and done with!  hehe

~~Heather

Most Active