FIRST TIME ON THIS FORUM...HELP

Tinamarie25
on 3/18/09 3:53 am - Pulaski, PA

I'M A LITTLE OVER A YEAR OUT OF RNY AND WONDERING WHEN DO YOU STARTTHINKING OF PLASTIC SURGERY?

I HAVE LOST 196 POUNDS IN A YEAR. FROM 438 TO 242 AND I HVE ALOT OF SKIN HANGING. (EVERYWHERE) !!!

WHAT DO I DO NEXT? CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?

TINA

High: 438 Surgery: 368 Current: 242 Lost: 196 Goal: 180 Togo: 62
Redhaired
on 3/18/09 4:14 am - Mouseville, FL
Generally the PS will want you to be at your goal weight and a stable weight for a period of time; some say six months, some say a year.  However, once you get pretty close to goal you can start going to consults to start getting an idea of what surgeries will be needed, and costs.  If you are hoping that insurance will cover your "reconstructive" surgery you need to be sure you have started documenting any issues the skin is causing you i.e. rashes, back/neck pain, etc. In order for insurance coverage you need to document medical necessity.  So do not self treat rashes and such.  You need to see your PCP every time you get a rash to get it documented in your medical records and take pictures of the rash.  Dr. L has some info on getting insurance coverage on his website at: http://www.drlomonaco.com/files/NeWeigh_2005.pdf  (the insurance article starts on page 5.)

Red

not_quite_Barbie
on 3/19/09 12:29 am
It depends on how much it's bothering you. With a 200 pound loss like yours, I suspect you have quite a bit of loose skin to deal with. Many insurance companies will pay for the removal of the skin from the stomach if you meet certain conditions., but they won't  pay for a complete tummy tuck.

Most plastic surgeons don't want you doing anything until you have been at a stable weight for about 6 months, but will remove the excess stomach skin if there's so much that it's making it difficult to walk.

I would suggest you ask your RNY surgeon if he thinks you are ready for any plastics.
Most Active