This was harder than I thought it was going to be...

Stephany N.
on 3/19/09 11:08 pm - Spencer, MA

Hey All,

I'm a week and a day out of surgery from having a complete LBL and bracioplasty. I've had 3 of my 6 drains removed...both arms and right side pubic area. I'm still unbelievably sore and can't sleep. I think I'm in the "Why the hell did I do this" phase and feel very depressed. I can't walk upright yet and showering is still a MAJOR task. My doc won't take out the rest of the drains until the output is less than 30...not sure if it's cc's or not. My drains aren't even close to that. Yesterday, I had 150 in one, 90 in the other and 50 in the last one. I HATE my binder...I wear it all day, but I have to take it off at night or I can't sleep. I haven't really had much to eat...no appetite.  

I can't even go anywhere...the drains show under all the types of clothes I've tried. I'm sorry to complain and I guess I should have read a little more about what I was in for. If anyone can offer some advice as to how to get by this time a little easier...send it over!

Thanks so much for listening!

Stephany 

300/275/135/150 - 15lbs BELOW Docs Goal

Starting/Surgery/Current/Goal

Danielle H.
on 3/19/09 11:21 pm - Atlanta, GA
Awe Stephany, you're definitely in the early why is my body not better stage!  The drains are a pain and yep the 30 is cc's.  You're body has been through the ringer and the more draining you have right now, the less the swelling is, so be thankful for that - and they will decrease, usually one, then the others increase a little when they take that one out - so not to worry, whatever you had before is just flowing to new places in your body.

Protein is definitely imperiative in this healing, so please make sure you're at least getting your requirements in with shakes and water too.  It will help your body..and I know its hard to eat, I just did light snacks the hole time and my mom was like oh my goodness you haven't really eaten much...took me a full week to have anything resembling an appetite cause it hurt to eat, like it was stretching the incisions.

Are you sleeping in a recliner?  I was told laying flat in my bed helped with the upright thing, just prop up the knees with pillows.  But definitely listen to your dr if said differently.

Are you able to shower yet?  That made a huge difference for me - just safety pin your drains to a ponytail holder so you dont have to hold them up in the shower, you can hang them...if not, do the fresh wipes to refresh yourself and know its coming soon!

As for the binder off at night, oh my I can't even imagine! I take mine off to shower and wa**** and it kills me and the swelling comes out more, so I definitely can't imagine 8 hours without it and moving around in bed would absolutely hurt!  I haven't had a full nights sleep in 20 days now, so I feel you!  I'm a belly sleeper and that's not happening anytime soon, I've tried ambien and tylenol PM...may call the dr today to see what I can do about it.

I do hope you don't regret it, it will get better.  The swelling comes and goes and the pain turns to just discomfort for a bit.  Hang in there and come here for support!

High Weight 260, Surgery Weight 218,  Lowest Weight 156, CURRENT WEIGHT 177, Goal Weight 140

Breast Lift /Back Lipo 10/2008
LBL (Belt Lipectomy with Fluer de lis cut TT) 2/27/09
www.advancedobesitysurgery.com (Dr. Dennis Smith)
www.gaplasticsurgery.com (Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg)

Stephany N.
on 3/19/09 11:32 pm - Spencer, MA

Thanks so much for the wonderful information. I am showering daily. I got a few pairs of those"webbed undies" from the hospital and I just tuck all the drains in there while I shower. I tried to sleep in bed last night for the first time and I layed there watching the clock tick away. I haven't done anything during the day bu****ch tv...so, I'm not tired when it's time to sleep. I was up every hour on the hour it seemed like. I was dreaming I was awake or I was awake thinking I was sleeping...very strange for me. I usually sleep like a ROCK! I think I might go back to the recliner tonight...LOL

The binder to me is a PITA! I haven't noticed much of a difference with it on or off. I know I can't eat with it on...that's for sure! I was never one to do the protein shakes after the first few weeks. I've been eating hard-boiled eggs and yogurt...or anything soft so far.

Thanks again for your post! It's nice to know I'm not alone here!! 

Danielle H.
on 3/19/09 11:58 pm - Atlanta, GA
Have you thought about a spanx like garmet...it might help with the swelling some.  As for the sleep, I've done pain pills, ambien and tylenol PM - so try something or call your dr to make sure you can!  Your body needs sleep right now...I think I knocked myself out so much in the beginning I'm just not back to normal yet.  I too was waking every hour in the beginning - at least every 2 or 3 most definitely and it sucks!

My muscles did such spasms, I can't even imagine going without support!  But we are all different...and if its not making you swell more, maybe its fine...as some drs don't even use them.

Hope it improves - definitely call dr about sleep - maybe you can take some otc stuff.

High Weight 260, Surgery Weight 218,  Lowest Weight 156, CURRENT WEIGHT 177, Goal Weight 140

Breast Lift /Back Lipo 10/2008
LBL (Belt Lipectomy with Fluer de lis cut TT) 2/27/09
www.advancedobesitysurgery.com (Dr. Dennis Smith)
www.gaplasticsurgery.com (Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg)

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/09 6:52 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I'm getting ready for surgery......can you tell me about these "webbed undies" I've never heard of them.  How do they help with the drains?  Can I buy them somewhere??

THANKS!!!!!!
Stephany N.
on 3/21/09 7:16 am - Spencer, MA

Hi,

A lot of women start their periods when they have surgery...stress related. In the hospital they have these undies that will stretch to pretty much any size. They give them to you and a mattress if you happen to start. They also give to women after they have children to help with the bleeding. Just ask one of the nurses if you can get a few pairs to take home.

At home, put the undies on, tuck all of your drains in and take your shower. It's SUCH a big help. I had my hubby get me a shower seat too. It was $28 dollars at Walmart and a life saver! I actually used it today out of the shower to put on my make-up and do my hair. standing is still an issue.

Wishing you the best of luck!!

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/09 7:31 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi and thanks for all the great info.  I will definitely ask about the panties.

Hope you are feeling better and have an even better tomorrow....
MelissaF
on 3/20/09 1:22 am - Northwood, IA
*HUGS* Stephany!!!

I bet you are having big time buyers remorse right now. (something I am afraid I might have myself here soon!) but just keep your eye on the prize! You know you are gonna love this new body once it is all healed, said and done.  As for sleep, I was like that after my RNY.  So many months that I finally went in for a sleep aid b/c I could no function during the day. I had to get some medication and it ended up not being a sleeping aid.  She gave me a VERY low dose of lexapro, 1/2 of a pill of the smallest dose and I sleep like a baby! Imagine that.  Not saying this is what you need b/c hopefully its temporary but just wanted to say I understand how you feel, I didn't sleep my first year after surgery basically at all, couple hours here and there and wow.. it was nuts and it took a toll on me finally. So keep an eye on that.

Those drains should come out soon and I bet the drainage will all the sudden just start getting smaller and smaller as far as output goes.  I have heard to have a LBL and arms done at the same time is murder b/c both sections (lower and upper body) are both impaired making it hard to do anything.  My surgeon refuses to do anything with the arms unless its boobs b/c he says you need your muscles in your arms when u have the LBL.  Are you feeling this is true? Bless your heart, I hope your kids and husband are there to help you out and I know it will get better for you in time.

I have been wondering how you were doing.  I am glad you have it done, over with though and on the mend now.. Just think the worst part is OVER now just heal and get ready to be in that bikini soon :-)

Hugs (gentle ones). 

Love ya girl!

Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Susan S.
on 3/20/09 11:33 am - Roselle, NJ
 Having been through an LBL in october - brachioplasty and boobs 3 weeks ago and medial thigh lift yesterday I can definitely feel for you - but a couple of things - you must wear your compression garment - 24 hours a day - it will make a difference in the outcome of your swelling and the degree of edema you experience...so comfortable or not - I would not recommend going overnight without it at this early stage.   You also do not want to loose those drains......because they are doing a very important job - so everytime you have to empty one of them - think of how they are saving you from seromas and other complications of fluid buildup.......I know they hurt - I can't wait to get mine out - but they are serving an essential purpose - so maybe thinking that will help.   Finally - you must get protein in - even if it's just shakes and protein bars - in order to hep your body with healing - gotta get that nutrition in.     There is simply no way for any of us to know what it's going to be like until we're in it - and I too found recovery to be overwhelming and boring!     I went back to the gym too soon after my two previous surgeries because I was loosing my mind.......so this time I'm making myself take it easy.......I can only tell you that as hard as each of these procedures have been - I'm so thrilled with the outcomes that I've been willing to take on more surgery - and as of yesterday - unless something goes wrong - I'm done!  Hang in there.......and keep your eye on the prize......follow your doctor's orders to the letter...........and take it one hour at a time..........Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

totalfreedom
on 3/20/09 1:23 pm - Northern CA
Hi Stephany,

I hear you loud and clear.  I was not prepared for the recovery.  I don't think reading more about the recovery would have prepared you.  I know for me, it was so much about the excitement of the results to come, I think I blocked out some of the reality.  I also don't think you can ever describe to someone who has never had PS what it really feels like and all of us react in so many different ways.

I had several moments of wondering "what did I do?", but as time goes by you get better and better.  Just give yourself all the pampering and care you deserve!  Burn some candles, listen to your favorite music, maybe read (I found it hard to concentrate though)  and give yourself lots of attention and love! 

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

Most Active