How to size SpanX

not_quite_Barbie
on 3/20/09 12:31 am
I'm getting a TT and BA in 10 days!!!!

So I'm going shopping this weekend to get everything I need and I don't know how to buy the right size spanX, or for that matter, even what to buy.

I'm 5'4", 128 lbs, wear a size 34A(minus) bra and size 6 pants.

Should I be buying the top, or the bottom, or both? How tight should they be? Are they pull on or do they caome with snaps and which type do I need?

Do I sould totally hopless or what?
(deactivated member)
on 3/20/09 12:39 am, edited 3/20/09 12:39 am - St. Paul, MN

good luck on upcoming surgery!

there are charts on the packages of some or hanging in the areas of the stores where i've shopped that tell you height/weight/size/etc for each garment. otherwise grab what you think will fit... i have to be honest & say in one brand i have an XL that i'm still wearing... and M in another brand... i alternate them so i can wash one each night to have a clean one for the next day - sad but true - garments as with all clothes vary by brand & style just like our clothes!

if you want to go more upscale i'm sure someone could measure you at a nicer dept store for those garments. if you do the ones at target/walmart honestly if you get it & it doesn't fit... you're only looking at 20$ or so to get a new one... plus you could always try to return it. i don't know policies on returning undergarments but would be worth a try if it's needed!

edited to add: there are snaps/pulls ons/zipers/clipped ones... i've had zipped/clipped/pull on ones all & they all have their pros & cons! if they're doing your chest they will send you home in one & for afterwards i used a sports bra after i stopped using the hospital garment at a few weeks out. i had a few options waiting for me at home & used what worked & felt best!

Danielle H.
on 3/20/09 1:41 am - Atlanta, GA
Likely a small or xs will work, but you have to know what your surgeon will put you in...I have been wearing the tops that are like tank spanx, but not the spanx brand, the target one and I just put it under my binder to help with added support.  If they do a full or half body one, then you probably want to support the way the surgeon tells you...For BA I think they do a sports bra so you may want the full support garmet.

I think the pull on is ok, but may be tough on the boobs...I haven't had any issues with it on the lower body, I step into it.

Tightness is really a personal preference - if you try it on now, you're going to fit into it differently then...even with swelling.

High Weight 260, Surgery Weight 218,  Lowest Weight 156, CURRENT WEIGHT 177, Goal Weight 140

Breast Lift /Back Lipo 10/2008
LBL (Belt Lipectomy with Fluer de lis cut TT) 2/27/09
www.advancedobesitysurgery.com (Dr. Dennis Smith)
www.gaplasticsurgery.com (Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg)

not_quite_Barbie
on 3/20/09 3:40 am
Thanks Ladies,
It sounds like I'd better wait until after the surgery to buy these. But I'd better pick up a few sports bras. I haven't bought any since I've lost weight so the ones I own are very loose.
Barb
JulieIND
on 3/20/09 5:30 am - Indianapolis, IN
I just had my TT and BA two days ago, and I didn't buy anything before.  They sent me home in a nice sports bra and tummy compression garment .  I would use those for a bit and then buy more as needed.  My husband just threw them in the wash real quick while I was showering and it worked out okay.

Good luck with everything!!
totalfreedom
on 3/20/09 1:11 pm - Northern CA
Hi barb,

I purchased the target brands and I also purchased the hanes brand at target too.  I am 5'1 and after surgery my weight fluctated from 122-128 due to swelling.  I had to wear size 3 of the target spanx's. They are called Assets.  The 2's were just to tight.  The hanes i ended up with large then mediums.  The hanes were only 12.99, the assets were $20.00.   They both went up to under my breasts and midway to my knees. 

for a bra, (I had a lift not an aug) I used  sports bra that zipped up front.  It was very convenient.

Hope tha helps.

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

Most Active