Anchor incision or hip to hip??????

gypsywoman6789
on 3/21/09 11:30 pm - Hudson, NH
I am 2.5 yrs post GB surgery.  From my heaviest I am down 105 lbs and of course have more of a "butt" in the front than in my rear!

I met with the PS at the same hosp where I had my GB done and he said he would do a "Fleur de lis" type incision because I have vertical and horizontal fat/skin when he does my panni surgery (no muscle tightening being done).  This means I will have an incision from under my breast bone straight down and hip to hip.

Met with PS #2 at another facility for another point of view ( I actually like him better)- he wants to do just a hip to hip because he says that is all insurance will cover (not sure yet since waiting on approval from Ins. Co from what first PS submitted)  and he says the scar from the fleur de lis is not pretty and often there are healing problems where the vertical line meets the horizontal hip to hip line.

I'm no so concerned about the scars themselves, I know they aren't going to be pretty no matter what I do.  I like the 2nd PS better but liked what the first PS said as far as what "results" I would see by having the fleur de lis.  So I'd like some feedback from people who had the option between the two and how they decided which to have done.  I'm concerned that if I don't have the fleur de lis that I will have this blob (my extra boobs as I like to call them) just sitting above my "new" belly.  Really don't want to have surgery twice.  Ugh!  Any thoughts are appreciated.
Jillian B.
on 3/22/09 12:10 am - Sterling Heights, MI
I am so curious of the responses. I met with my PS last week and he suggests doing the horizontal and vertical as well for the best results. I am not concerned about the scar, I have seen his work and know he will do a great job. But this the first I heard of this type of incision. I am wondering if I will need additional recovery time....
Jill
283/165/160
surgery weight/current weight/goal weight

Lisa A.
on 3/22/09 12:49 am
I think alot depends on how much skin is hanging and how long of a suture line for hip to hip I had the extended hip to hip incision and am very happy as I do have a waist but yes it will define a nice waist with a anchor cut but the risks are higher with wound healing  with and a anchor Cut, I was lucky to have a hernia repair which required my muscles to be tighten.  I think age is a huge factor on deciding which way I was going, I had to go in for revision a month later to fix hematoma , My belly button was a real bleeder and I had a huge umbilical stem and this had cause havoic I should have forgone  the belly button to be honest But we did not know my hernia was threw my belly button as well and the hernia was huge, So if I had to make a decion I would leave it up to doc once he gets in their what would make u look over all best depending on the situation of surgery that can only be judged once they are in there, I have great faith in my doc and I wish I told him hey look if belly button need to go take it, He was  accomindating me but after thought belly button was a real pain to perserve, I will have a ugly scar due to my ideaolofy I needed a belly button, He was only creating one because I wanted one. I would discuss  that in more in depth belly button vs no belly button , However u may benifit with a anchor cut if u already have line up middle to make it look clean and even, I would have them draw a map of your belly and show u how it will be before u decide, I had good 13 lbs of pannis removed . See my pics, I am really starting to suck in this past week and continue to heal, I had a revision so I am behind those that had their orginal TT in dec, I am just swollen in mons area but I am so happy I do not have huge swelling issues now,I am sucking down nicley, My hips r 38 and waist is now 32. I may never get to 26 inch waist but I will happy  with at 29 waist, I am older woman u know, I am 50, I had 40 inch waist  and hip  after TT, My insurence paid for by pannislectomy and  hernia repair I paid the doc 2 k to go above and beyond what pannislectomny did not cover, Well worth the extra 2 k.
Good luck
Lisa
DEBI R.
on 3/22/09 2:23 am - CORSICANA, TX
I have alot of skin above my belly button and I'm having a circumferential TT with Anchor cut and brachioplasty April 8th.  I think it depends on how much skin you have above your belly button as to weather you need an anchor cut or not, my Dr said without it I wouldn't have a flat stomach and defined waist. Good luck. Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

okiepetra
on 3/22/09 5:00 am - Lawton, OK
Hi there, I had the anchor-hip to hip and had no problems what so ever, you can check out my pictures

Petra

DEBI R.
on 3/22/09 5:09 am - CORSICANA, TX
Thanks for sharing your pics Petra, did you have your arms done also? 
I'm having both done and I'm afraid I won't be able to get up since I can't use my arms that much after surgery. My husband is taking off a week to take care of me and my son will be here when he's not in college so I shouldn't have any problems. Debi

minuature pinscher 

okiepetra
on 3/22/09 12:59 pm - Lawton, OK
hi Debi,
no arms, just the stomach, I wish I could get them done too, you should be ok, my hubby stayed home for a week also and I did ok, stayed on the couch as it was better to get up and down, never used the recyliner but a lot of people loved it...I just lived by my gastric rules, rolled out of bed-couch and took it easy, it seemed like I had a harder time with this suregry to get my energy back than with the gastric...good luck to you, I bet you will do just fine with the support you have a home
Petra

DEBI R.
on 3/22/09 5:22 pm - CORSICANA, TX

I have a lift chair that was my grandmothers that I will be using because we have a 4 poster bed that is very high and I know I won't be able to get on and off of it.
I'm worried about sitting/laying since I'll be cut all the way around and not be able to use my arms either but I know it will all be worth it in the end.
Thanks for your help. Debi

minuature pinscher 

DEBI R.
on 3/23/09 3:48 am - CORSICANA, TX
Hi Petra,

My hairdressers name is Petra too.

I'm really worried about the ride home, my surgery is in Dallas and it's 60 miles from my house. I was told I will be released the day after surgery. We have a truck and I'm wondering if I'll be able to get up in it to come home since I can't step up on the running boards and use my arms to pull myself up either. Both of my sons have 4x4 trucks so they can't help either. Do you think this will be a problem?
Thanks, Debi

minuature pinscher 

Danielle H.
on 3/23/09 1:41 am - Atlanta, GA

If you're not concerned with the scar then do the fluer cut down the tummy - it's what I have and I love it, redefines the waist too!  PS vary so he could be right insurance won't cover it but you don't know until you ask and you can tell him what you'd prefer to have done.

Tell him you want a waist and that's really the only way to get one...you can check out my pics, just do friend request if you want to see them all.

High Weight 260, Surgery Weight 218,  Lowest Weight 156, CURRENT WEIGHT 177, Goal Weight 140

Breast Lift /Back Lipo 10/2008
LBL (Belt Lipectomy with Fluer de lis cut TT) 2/27/09
www.advancedobesitysurgery.com (Dr. Dennis Smith)
www.gaplasticsurgery.com (Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg)

Most Active