Post bariatric surgery possible with high BMI

skmo
on 3/22/09 7:15 am - Central, TX
I have a high BMI even after WLS (- 140 pounds).  I have such hip pain I can no longer exercise to lose more weight.  The weight/panni is displacing my right hip and knee when I sit or climb stairs.  Currently, even sitting is a problem.  I don't know what to do.  I don't thing anyone will do surgery on me at this weight.  I am afraid I will be bedridden before long and that is why I had the surgery to begin with.
skmo
You've got to go out on a limb sometimes because that's where the fruit is.
Will Rogers
Redhaired
on 3/22/09 7:47 am - Mouseville, FL
I know that some folks have at least the panniculectomy done early because of other medical conditions -- heck I have even heard of folks having the panniculectomy done prior to having WLS just to make the WLS safer.  You will not know what is possible until you go for  a consult.  Talk to your surgeon or PCP about a referral to a plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Red

theresa R.
on 3/22/09 9:32 am - Van Wert, OH
 I agree with the above poster....many people undergo the pani removal b4 reaching goal to aid in excercise, hygiene and rash issues.....Check around and I'm sure you'll  find a reputable surgeon who will safely do the surgery....I would think that if the panni is causing such problems, that you might even be able to make a case for insurance coverage....

Theresa R. =)
LapBand Surgery $13,950-2 Year Gym Membership $795.-TummyTuck&Lip0 $9950.00
Seeing those skinny bitches from High School and never
looking better---$PRICELESS

mom23reds
on 3/23/09 7:37 am - Bryan, TX
Definitely see the surgeon! I'm nowhere NEAR goal, but I'm having hernia repair (with mesh), tummy tuck, and panniculectomy all covered by insurance. My surgery is April 8th.

I see the doctor for my pre-op visit on Thursday so I'll have a better idea of what will be going on, but I'm just barely below 40 BMI. I'm 18 months post-op gastric bypass and I've lost about 160 lbs so far. Don't despair!

Susan

Most Active