Question about Procare for Recovery

Melissa M.
on 3/24/09 1:52 am - Seabrook, TX

For those that used Procare, how many bottles did you use during your recovery? I was seriously thinking of purchasing it, but each bottle says it has 25 servings and Dr Agha recommends using it 3 weeks before and a few weeks after. The product is pretty expensive and a single order has 2 bottles. Not sure if that is enough. Also, for those that used it, do you think it made a difference?

Thanks!

Melissa

This is the post that Dr Agha mentioned it:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/plasticsurgery/3884121/Wou nd-Seperations/#31216577 

sablouwho
on 3/24/09 4:08 am - La La Land, CA
I haven't had plastics yet. However, I just met with Dr. Agha last week for a consult. He has written an academic paper on the effects of ProCare and post-op healing in bariatric plastics patients.

Agha told me that he has found the ProCare helps so much with healing that he even asks his NON WLS patients to take it.

He told me "Look, even if you go to another plastic surgeon, I really recommend that you use ProCare.
~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

Melissa M.
on 3/24/09 4:57 am - Seabrook, TX
That's what I was thinking too.  I figured if he has seen a noticeable difference in the healing of patients who do and don't take it, then it's worth a try.
happy girl
on 3/24/09 5:02 am
I am not a pt of Dr Agha but after reading some posts from his pts, I ordered it.  That stuff is GROSS, and I am not ordering any more   I figure it falls in the can't hurt, might help category and what I am doing is working out how many total servings I have and might even do 2/3 a serving and how many days before surgery and after surgery i want to take it.  I haven't spent time on that yet  - I am in denial over the taste.  but I think one container or 3/4 before surgery and the rest after surgery.  That should give me some benefit.  My DR has told me to keep up with my current vite program and to add zinc and focus on protein.

I have wondered if it will mix in with a slimfast or something like that  - it def needs help with flavor

Good luck!

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Melissa M.
on 3/24/09 5:20 am - Seabrook, TX
I heard it was gross!  The website says you can mix it with fruit and/or milk and make a smoothie with it so I was thinking of going that route.  One of his patients tried it with the Boost nutrition drink and said it was tolerable.  I'm like you, better SOME benefit than none at all!  LOL
Lorraine22
on 3/24/09 6:23 am
What is ProCare and what is it supposed to be good for? Im having an extended tummy tuck on April 7th. Im trying to get everything in that I need. Im getting so nervouse and yet so excited.
Melissa M.
on 3/24/09 6:41 am - Seabrook, TX

Click on the link that I posted above.  Dr Agha has some good info on it and has links in his post as well. 

Here is the link to the actual procare website:  http://www.nutressential.com/products.htm

thegraduate120
on 3/24/09 6:43 am

If you're going to order it, start small until you know you can drink it.   I had two jars of the stuff (orange flavor).   I gave it my best shot but really couldn't manage 3 scoops of it a day.  I just recently threw out one almost full jar.   There are a number of recipes to try to make it more palatable but I can't drink three smoothies a day on top of regular meals either, so it was the quantity as much as the flavor that is a problem for me.   I could manage one scoop and right after surgery pushed to get almost two a day.    I have no idea if it helped - couldn't say one way or the other.   I'm sure the high fructrose stawberry margarita mix which was the only thing I could stand it in did not help at all.

There has to be a better formulation that does the same thing. 

sablouwho
on 3/24/09 10:29 am - La La Land, CA
So what did it taste like?
~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

totalfreedom
on 3/24/09 2:29 pm - Northern CA
The flavor is indescribable. All I know is the first time I tried i I mixed it with silk choc soy and it tasted like CRAP!

However I finally found a mixture I could finally stand.  Here it is:

6 frozen strawberries
1 cup crushed ice
1/2 cup 3 berry mix frozen (blueberries, marion and raspberry)
1 scoop Orange flavor Pro-Care (Full scoop a serving size is about 2/3rd's of the scoop)
1/2 Banana
1 Cup Unsweetened Organic Silk Soy (Green Carton)
1 cap raspberry extract

For extra protein I added a scoop of protein powder I get from Costco.

First in the blender, crush the strawberries, then add ice and other berries, crush those. Now add the remaining ingredients and run the smoothie, the run blend. If too thick, add a little more soy.

I think the primary thing that helps with the flavor cover up is the raspberry extract.  I would drink two of these a day and did it 3 weeks prior and 6 weeks after.  This got me 2 2/3 servings a day.

Since I am RNY, I believed it really helped.  I only had one bad wound separation but that was at an area where 3 incisions met (lots of  tension).  I had other separations but they were small and very surface.  I had no infections, just a few spitting stiches all while I had alot of procedures.  i am now wound free (12 weeks).  My incisions, although still red/purple, look great and are very flat/smooth.  That is probably from the surgeons techniques, but i think it has something to do with the healing as well.

I think as the other posters said, even a little will help.  It is full of vitamins, but you can always add other proteins to help heal.

I plan to start again for my next stage.

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

Most Active