Symptoms of a blood clot (DVT)?

Tee M.
on 3/25/09 11:04 pm - CT
I'm 4 weeks out today and I started getting pain right at the large vein at the front of my right groin/leg area.  It hurts standing up and then stabbing pain at random times.  I was hoping it might just be displaced pain from the TT incision which is about 2 inches above where the pain is centralized.  It is not red, warm or swollen.

I might just be a worry wort, but my surgeon is a state away and I dont want to travel there if Im just being over cautious.

Help

Tee

Why is it we all know how to use our tool, but refuse to do it?

Redhaired
on 3/25/09 11:17 pm - Mouseville, FL
Either go to the ER or call your surgeon right away.  Your surgeon will be able to tell you whether he thinks it is surgery related or something more serious.  A blood clot can kill you in an instant and is nothing to mess around with.  You do not have to see your surgeon for something like this -- please do not delay getting this attended to. 

Red

Tee M.
on 3/25/09 11:27 pm - CT
Thank you.  Im in the health field and do know exactly the outcome, just don't really know the symptoms, thats why I asked.

Why is it we all know how to use our tool, but refuse to do it?

Redhaired
on 3/26/09 1:09 am - Mouseville, FL
I had a DVT in my leg and the only symptom I had, was cramping that got progressively worse.  An astute telephone triage nurse put it all together and got me into the hospital before it broke loose and traveled.  Had it not been for that nurse I shudder to think what could have happened.  I now have a vena cava filter that is permanent;  subsequent to the DVT we learned I had clotting disorders.

You might want to check out http://www.preventdvt.org/

Red

Clirishu
on 3/26/09 2:21 am - LA
The two times I had a DVT I was extremely short of breath.  Any form of movement caused me to lose my breath.
Beth C.
on 3/26/09 3:14 am - Woodstock, MD
I don't mean to scare you, but you should go to the ER. A  DVT if dislodges will go to the lungs and cause a pulmonary embolism which can be deadly. Better to be safe. Let us know.
Beth Clark

Lisa A.
on 3/26/09 3:46 am, edited 3/26/09 3:47 am
Blood clot can be also symptom less as well. My hubby had hernia repair surgery and was pretty str8 forward surgery .He also was travely to work driving 2 hours in car and also had a plane trip all no noes after surgery  He was about 8 weeks post surgery when he developed blood clots his symptom was having hard time breathing when he was walking up stairs. He first thought it was his cold and then asthma. He even went to the car races that evening all the while thinking just asthma. He remembered walking and be out of breathSymptom 1. and grabbing the fence but oh no he had tickets and he went on. He came home looking very ash in color Symptom 2.I told him u r going to the ER He told me oh no it is just my asthma kicking up  Denial (stupidity) 44 who has a PE at 44 . Remember I am a mom that had a daughter that had a stroke at 19 this pass july. 9she had migraines before her stroke hit but she had  massive blood clot in her heart. She was out of breath slightly. She just complained she was tired and working out to much
 We waited in ER hours. They took his blood pressure at it was sky rocket high very unusual for him Sympton number 3 of Pulmonary embolism, We waited more. Ok they finally took xrays and found nothing etc they were gonna send him home  thinking oh it is nothing but a bad cold. Well this is where he was saved. The doc asked him  have u had any leg pain in last few days and hubby said at first no then he said u know the other day I was in garden on my knees and when i got up i noticed I was sore briefly but i was thinking it was related to being on my knees and be old and stuff. Bingo trace pain behind his knee.
Well the doc said lets just do a ultra sound before we send u home just to make sure u r not  having a DVT. H e said we will have to wait tell monday for ultra sound of your legs and groan but we will just keep u here in ER just in case, (smart doctor) Over the course of waiting 24 hours to get the ultra sound he passed over 30 blood clots to his lungs. and when they did a ultra sound they found this huge massive blood clot behind his knee and would eventually  traving up large vein.He passed 30 of them in ER.they were small pieces breaking off  (MIRCLE he is alive just takes one to kill u.)
Then monday morning they told him they were gonna but a inline filter to prevent more blood clots traveling to his lungs, He was scheduled for surgery tuesday. Thew the night he was in ICU and prepping him for surgery due to fact he was allergic to iodine and  they needed to get him ready for that or they would have put filter in that night but they needed to get him on steriods and his body ready tocounter act  iodine dye that was gone be needed, They had seen huge blood clot behind his knee. Well threw the night they kept doing ultra sound to  keep watch over it. He had no pain or  No swelling. he was scheduled for 9 am surgery, Hubby called me at 6 am and i was getting ready to go to hospitial and be there by 7 am, He said he was getting another ultra sound at 630. I arrived to hospitial to be told that they had to rushed him into surgery as the blood clot this huge massive one that was gonna kill him if they did not get him in surgery as it was 5 inches long and inch wide had traveled to his groan. They radiologist  who  was there told me they were gonna do everything in their power to save him hubby was on life support as he could no longer breath and  x ray showed finally over 30 tiny clots passed threw the night.
He did not have symptoms of red warm swollen,
My daughter did not feel well the morning of her stroke. She had a mild head ache that was it. She was on her way to kitchen to get something to eat Boom she collapsed w/o warning. We first thought she had a seizure, I mean after all she has a seizure disorder, But all of them were complex seizure not the type u fall to ground,My hubby and I were out of town and in fact traveling home. Well she did not appear it was a stoke. When we got home she was out of it like her past seizures spacey so why would we think different I mean after all 19 year olds do not have strokes.
Over the night here we are thinking  she is sleeping off her seizure and only to find out next moring symptoms of stoke set in , I will always regret not seeking help Sooner. Never ever think u r bothering your doctor. Have them check u out and  let them send u home.
Blood clots are a silent killer and can be very vague symptoms , please see your doc..
Lisa 

AprilJM
on 3/27/09 1:33 am - Morrison, TN
I had 2 clots to break loose and travel thru my heart into my lungs. One clot went into the right lung and the other went into the left lung. By some miracle I didn't die. But my ONLY symptom was a very small and very minor tender spot behind my left knee. I had no other symptoms before the clot broke loose and I never would have dreamed that the tiny little tender spot was a blood clot. I thought it would be more painful and be accompanied with other symtoms, but it wasn't. So PLEASE get your's checked out ASAP!!!
Also...this was my 5th surgery and I've never before had any problems with clots. They can JUST happen!!!

(((April)))

Most Active