Doctor's Website for Malpractice /Lawsuits

puddin2day
on 3/27/09 5:41 am - Los Angeles, CA

Hi,

I am looking for a website that discloses when a doctor has been sued.  The reason why I am asking is the Dr. Hurwitz mentioned (briefly) about a suit brought against him this past November and we mentioned that he was no longer practicing in California only in Pittsburg.  If I wanted to have surgery here in CA, I could go through Dr. Agha in their Newport Beach office.

Thank you,

Kim

Without struggle, there is no progress.

sablouwho
on 3/27/09 6:34 am - La La Land, CA
Good question.

Hurwitz' website still says he has two "centers" here in SoCal (BH and Newport Beach). But in reality it seems that BH is really Jay Calvert and NB is really Siamak Agha. Though I did hear Hurwitz does come to BH and operates himself once in a blue moon.

FWIW--I'm hoping to have surgery w/Agha myself once my weight is stable. I have to wait a few more months because I'm only 9 1/2 months post-op and he said he wants me to be at least 12 months out.
~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

puddin2day
on 3/27/09 6:42 am - Los Angeles, CA

They don't use the BH Center that much.  I witnessed the receptionist telling Dr. Hurwitz where all of his incoming mail was located.

sablouwho
on 3/27/09 7:08 am, edited 3/28/09 12:39 am - La La Land, CA
That's pretty funny!

I did have a feeling that Hurwitz's presence in the BH office was more "virtual" and that his website makes it look like more than it is in reality. It seems like it's more of an image/marketing thing than something that exists as an operational reality on a day to day basis.

In real life, it sounds like a bunch of plastic surgeons who share office space and are loosely associated w/each other, but who maintain separate tax ID/business practices. Roommates/colleagues, basically.
~Cindy  

Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

puddin2day
on 3/27/09 7:52 am - Los Angeles, CA
Exactly.  He told me that if I went with Dr. Agha, I would have to go the Newport Beach office.

akers123
on 3/28/09 10:58 pm - Charlotte Hall, MD
Just wanted to say how cool it was that you were on Doctors.  That is really awesome.  How did the guy do that was going to help you loose the rest of your weight.
Kristi Akers
Gastric Bypass - Feb 6, 2004
Lower Body Lift - Feb 25, 2009
Breast Lift/Lipo - Dec 7, 2009
Upper Body Lift/Arms - Feb 23, 2011

sablouwho
on 3/29/09 12:16 am - La La Land, CA
Hi Kristi!

Thanks for your words of support. Robert, the man who they interviewed, is a trainer, and the show set it up for so that I get to train w/him regularly. I see him around twice a week. We do mainly strength training because I do the cardio component on my own.

I've recently done a PS consult w/Dr. Agha and he told me that he doesn't want me to loose more weight, that I am at a good size for pre-op for plastics. He said he needs some "clay" (aka fat) to work with when he does the body sculpting/countouring.

I was surprised he said that, as I figured I still had another 15-25 pounds to loose.

So now I'm in an interesting place, meeting w/my dietitian and making the switch from wt. loss to maintenance. Which is exiciting, but a little scary too!

Thanks for watching the clip and thanks again for your kind words.
~Cindy  

sablouwho
on 3/27/09 6:36 am - La La Land, CA
Kim, were you thinking of going to Pittsburgh for your PS?
~Cindy  

puddin2day
on 3/27/09 6:37 am - Los Angeles, CA
I don't know. Still deciding overall concerning all of the consultations I have.

sablouwho
on 3/27/09 7:04 am - La La Land, CA
Are you comfortable sharing which doctors you've met with/are considering? I'm curious to hear how other OHers have gone about the thought and decision making process when it comes to choosing a PS. Especially since I'm in the process myself. (though I'm pretty sure I know who I am going to go with.)

California does have a site where you can check a medical license, though I don't recall the URL. On it, you can see if there is any pending litigation or disciplinary action. However, there web site has a disclaimed that there could be legal action that they don't yet know about which might not be reflected in their results.
~Cindy  

Most Active