Eating While Recovering...

(deactivated member)
on 3/28/09 6:11 pm - Los Angeles, CA
So I'm a week out from a lower body lift....

What the hell do I eat? I mean, I know I focus on protein as always, and I have a relatively small appetite (thank you GOD, for however long it lasts). I often have difficulty eating enough.

Today I had:

1 cup oatmeal w/ 1/2 apple, 1 poached egg (Over the course of at leat 1 hour)
A bite of soy nuts
6 hours later...
1 cup cottage cheese with banana and peanut butter

Dinner was 1 small slice of thin crust pizza (like 2 inches at the widest part), 1/2 zucchini, some asparagus. Then I had an orange and some strawberries.

I worry I'm not eating enuogh, but once I get my protein in and fat and all that in, should I really try and get some carbs in for the recovery process?

I'm also SOOO worried that because I'm practically immobile I'll start gaining weight.

Suggestions and help, please!  I asked my surgeon and he said "eat normally". Yeah, like that'll ever happen, lol. So I need you guys!
scrappinghannah
on 3/28/09 10:21 pm - Australia
Hi
I am three weeks post fleur de lyse tummy tuck and found that for the first week I didnt have much appetite either.  However, now I am eating way too much :(  I am also not as active as I am healing, so have gained a few kg's.

I think maybe take an extra vitamin supplement during this phase to ensure you get enough of what your body needs?  Your food intake seemed pretty balanced and reasonalbe to me.

Julie
BethinSeattle
on 3/28/09 10:48 pm - Federal Way, WA
After my LBL, I didn't feel much like eating. My PS wanted me to get at least 120grams of protein in per day while healing.   I grabbed some Boost high protein shakes that have 15g in 8 ounces.  On days when I felt short on protein I'd add one or two or sometimes three in.

322/157/170 Reached Goal on 7/30/06
LBL w/o outer thighs on 9/11/06
BL/BA, brach, lipo on 5/16/07
Medial Thigh lift on 01/23/08
Susan S.
on 3/28/09 10:53 pm - Roselle, NJ
 I really pushed protein more than anything else....and thank God for Melting Mamas recommendation of Barix Proti squares - because there were days (I developed an infected seroma wiht my LBL) that I had no appetite at all but I managed to get them in.   I"ve had two bowel obstruction scares - from pain meds shutting my gutt down - no working out and not enough fiber - yesterday was another day of misery - so try to keep some fiber going as well.....but up your protein as much as you can stand......rest of it looks great.      Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

Angensam
on 3/29/09 4:48 am - Atlanta, GA
I'm just about 10 days post op. I haven't had any complications and while I was hoping that my appetite would diminish after the surgery, no such luck.LOL. I had a bit of a problem with protein because I can't eat dairy with my antibiotic, so easy things such as cheese, yogurt, etc were out. I think you should have some protien bars on hand. Also, no salt nuts and peanut butter. I am eating lots of fresh pineapple to help with the swelling and it works. It also moves things along in your bowels. The less salt the better. I am also eating fresh spinich salads with nuts. Lots of vitamins and fiber!

Try not to worry about weight the first couple of weeks. Don't weigh your self either. They put nearly 8 bags of fluid in me so I haven't even looked at the scale.

Also, you'd be surprised how much effort it will take to go to the bathroom, adjust your position, deal with drains. You will be exhausted, so keeping energy up and keeping hydrated is critical.

Good luck!

Regina

Almost to goal!
Regina

(deactivated member)
on 3/29/09 4:56 am - Los Angeles, CA
That's sort of what I figure. Like, I'm eating normal post-RNY-op, and just not panicking over a piece of toast or a bite of whatever. I still prefer my healthy choices!
MelissaF
on 3/29/09 6:04 am - Northwood, IA
Hey there "anal" one :)  You know i have to side jab ya :)

You are doing great, just listen to your body, eat what sounds good (in healthy reason) and get that protein in no matter what.  I was told 120 at least in grams of protien and shoot higher before and after surgery.. got any shakes around? ;)

How about my famous cottage cheese pancakes?

Again, you look mahvelous dahling.. simply mahvelous :o)
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

(deactivated member)
on 3/29/09 6:11 am - Los Angeles, CA
120 gms? Sheesh, I'm good with 80, I think. But I'm always thinking protein-forward. So the six boxes of pizza I ordered for recovery...I'll cancel  'em :P

I'll take a shake later, if I can finish my breakfast. I really have been struggling for quite some time. For awhile I could hardly get in 1,000 calories a day, so I'm working' on eating, period, and then extra protein.

Mmm, cottage cheese pancakes. I think I'll whip up a batch one of these days. Though Passover's coming, so all soy and flour goes bye bye. I'll just eat lots of cottage cheese then. Which I've discovered is DELICIOUS with mashed bananas and a TBSP of peanut butter!

Me? Anal. I prefer neurotic. Unless you're referring to the fact I overdid the Miralax this week and had an accident. Talking about humbling when your Mom is cleaning you up.
(deactivated member)
on 3/30/09 3:54 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I like to add 1/2 cup cottage to a container of cherry vanilla yogurt....it's delicious.  (my brother has blueberry yogurt with cottage cheese every day)
Most Active