Abdominal Swelling

Stephany N.
on 3/28/09 8:32 am - Spencer, MA

Hey..me again

I went to the doc today with a concern about my swollen abdomen. Right above my mons area I've swollen quite a bit. He says he's seen this in a few patients before. I have some pics on my page if you want to peek. He palpated this area to see if there was a fluid build-up or something hard...but he said it was fine. My drains are still putting out quite a bit 90-120 daily in this area, so I know it's not clogged. He just wants me to call if it gets bigger.

I've started taking Bromelain and eating pineapple and pineapple juice. I heard it can help with swelling. He wanted to put me on Motrin, but as you know...that's a no-no for us.

Let me know if this has happened to you and what you think.

Thanks for thinking about me!!

Hugs

300/275/135/150 - 15lbs BELOW Docs Goal

Starting/Surgery/Current/Goal

akers123
on 3/28/09 8:48 am - Charlotte Hall, MD
Hi there.  I had posted on another post before of yours.  I have the same thing right above my incision.  I am hoping its just swelling.  I have one part that is hard (feels like a finger).  We had to check on the surgeon to make sure he had all 10.  LOL

Let me know how it goes, I would like to keep in touch and see if yours starts to go down. 

Thanks
[email protected]
Kristi Akers
Gastric Bypass - Feb 6, 2004
Lower Body Lift - Feb 25, 2009
Breast Lift/Lipo - Dec 7, 2009
Upper Body Lift/Arms - Feb 23, 2011

Tee M.
on 3/29/09 11:22 pm - CT
Steph,

I'm a little over 4 weeks out and I am swollen in the exact same place.  It is where the fluid is collecting to go into your drain.  You'll understand that when they eventually pull them.  They may be on your hips, but the tube actually goes all the way to the center of your abdomen below the belly button.  Keep the binder as tight as you can stand it in that area after they pull the drains to get the skin to adhere to the muscle.

It gets better

Tee

Why is it we all know how to use our tool, but refuse to do it?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/30/09 12:29 am - OH
Swelling down low like that is completely normal... gravity often pulls the fluid down below where the drains (the inside end of the drain is farther up than where it comes out on your body) can get to it.  The swelling will subside with time.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active