Dr. Shah Columbus, Ohio

Shawnta H.
on 3/30/09 7:25 am - Ellicott City, MD
Hello All,
If anyone here has had surgery with Dr. Shah I would really appreciate hearing from you.  I am scheduled to have a Tummy Tuck, Thigh Lift, and Arm Lift and I would just like to speak with some of his current or former patients.

Thanks

Shawnta
Kelly V.
on 3/30/09 7:40 am - Galion, OH

Dr Bivik Shah did my brachioplasty.  Biggest regret of my life.  I measured my arms before I went in to see him and my right arm is considerably smaller but my left arm looks like he didn't take off anything.  It is the same size with the scar down the middle.  He kept telling me it is swollen but that is not the case.  My arm is still wiggly and hangs. 

I had the surgery in his office and they were pushing me out the door 17 minutes after I came out from anesthesia.  When I had my follow up appt he asked me why I had tape on my arms still and I said I have small openings at the end and he said take the tape off and then 5 days later I was infected.  He didn't even look at the incisions while I was there.

I went back a week later for him to look at the infection and all he kept saying was if he had to open the wound it would cost more.  I said well the medicine has almost cleared it up but I only have 2 pills left and he told me to come back in a week.  I cancelled that appt and just went to see my pcp who prescribed additional medicine and took care of the infection.

I felt so cared for before the surgery and then the follow up care stunk!  Biggest waste of money I ever spent.  I spoke to a couple other ps's and they said I would need to have it done all over again.   I went to another PS to do my Total Body Lift and I will be asking him to revise my arms in a few months.  He offered no solutions and no sympathy and I felt like a number.

I hope your experience is better!! 

Shawnta H.
on 3/31/09 4:37 am - Ellicott City, MD
Kelly,
Thank you for sharing your story.  I'm really sorry to hear that you had such a horrible experience with Dr. Shah.  You have prompted me to ask several questions that I may not have asked otherwise.

S
JulieIND
on 3/30/09 12:01 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Sounds like you might want to reconsider that doctor!  At least you got some honest advice from a previous patient. 
elgntjay
on 3/31/09 4:16 am - OH
Hi,

I am planning to see Dr. Shah for my tt. I had my appointment but i am waiting on insurance approval now. Hearing her story is a little scary.  I will have to ask more question now.
Let me know what u decide, i am curious to know what others are thinking also.
Kelly V.
on 3/31/09 6:00 am - Galion, OH

Oh I forgot to tell you what happened with insurance.  His office was one of the few offices which were willing to submit a pre-determination.  They sent in a pre-determination for a panniculectomy, thigh lift and breast lift.   Long story short after alot of calling on my behalf my insurance company told me they approved me for a full tummy tuck, thigh lift and the breast lift and were waiting for something back from Dr. Shah's to put in the authorization as outpatient or inpatient.  So I called again in a week and my insurance company told me my case was closed.  When I asked why they stated that Lauren (my coordinator) sent back the letter stating there was no patient by my name.  WHAT??  and That I had to start over again if I used another doctor even though they believe it was medically necessary.

In his defense I have never went back to him to see if he would rectify the situation.  I guess I was so frustrated at blowing 7k out the window that I gave up.

I have seen his work and it is good it just wasn't for me.  Unfortunately I was one of the unlucky ones =(

Good Luck in your decisions.  He is a very caring man pre-op

elgntjay
on 3/31/09 6:24 am - OH

I understand, and it is really scary because u never know what is going to happen, and if one person situation will be the same. I will be praying a lot about my decision. So, far i haven't been approved yet with my insurance company. I am very scared about this anyway. I have been working with Lauren....lol So, i hope she doesn't make the same mistake.  Not a joking matter at all. I would like to have a doctor who is just as caring in the end as they were in the begining.  Do you mind me asking how much out of pocket were u responsible for? I know the insurance will not cover a tt, but I applied the same procedure as u.  I am really trying to make the right decision because my health and money is really important. any more info would be great. Thanks for replying.  I am going to pray and look for other options.

thanks
jessica

Kelly V.
on 3/31/09 6:50 am - Galion, OH

Well he performed my brachioplasty and it cost me $7,000.  I then had a Total Body Lift by a teaching hospital and I paid for that out of my pocket.   I will get a bill from the teaching hospital and hope that I can get some reimbursement from my insurance company.   Even with the insurance help Dr. Shah was still high for the other stuff he charged.  I am hoping to get pity from the teaching hospital on my revision and they will make me a deal.  Wish me luck I will go see them next week for a quote.

elgntjay
on 3/31/09 7:00 am - OH
wow, that is alot. I will pray that everything works out for U. I think my arms are ok, but this stomach is out of control. I need to really pray about this whole thing. thanks for the info.

Jessica
Shawnta H.
on 3/31/09 8:11 am, edited 3/31/09 8:12 am - Ellicott City, MD
Hello Jessica,
I have decided to proceed with Dr. Shah.  I know there are always risks with any surgery and I am confident in Dr. Shah abilities.  I hate to hear horror stories like Kelly's  because it reminds me of the risks associated with this or any other surgery.  I have spoken to quite a few of Dr. Shah's patients and a few of his former colleagues at OSU hospital and for the most part I have heard nothing but glowing recommendations. However, like Kelly I encontered another person that had a very unpleasant experience with Dr. Shah and she is still fighting to get her procedure revised.  I researched several surgeons in MD, GA, and OH and I was not able to find one surgeoon that didnt have a single unsatisfied patient.  I guess the bottom line is that you have to do what you feel is best for you and your situation.  I am paying out of pocket for my surgery so I can only pray that I made the right decision and everything works out for the best. 

Good Luck to you and I hope that whatever you decide things work out for the best.

S
Most Active