Nutrition for Healing - Hospital for Special Surgery - IMPORTANT!!!

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/09 2:51 am - Los Angeles, CA
So apparently, we have to eat. DAMMIT!

I'm more of the "I'm not moving, so anorexia sounds fun" type o' gal.

Well, read this. No, read it.

And I'm eating now. I'm not HAPPY about it. Just so you know. Because I'm not . It scares. the bejesus out of me. See my blog for more neurosis, LOL.

www.hss.edu/conditions_14397.asp

But I'm eating my breakfast now. My goal is to eat it ALL (all 460 calories of it!) before noon PST. I have two more hours.

This is important for ALL of us. It really is. So suck it up and eat. But HEALTHILY. But, ya know, toss in a few raisinets. You're healing and in pain right? A FEW raisinets, not the Costco size bag, people.

Okay, so, uh, GOOD MORNING!
MyQnA
on 4/3/09 3:37 am
What a great link....thank you!  I found this to be the most useful part:

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/09 9:58 am - Bayonne, NJ
I never had nutrition issues after the RNY, but after having 2 rounds of plastic surgery I wound up with severe anemia. I was dieting all the time, and it was the worst thing I could have done. This is very helpful advice, thanks for posting. :)
Jane E.
on 4/3/09 11:09 pm - Lawrenceville, GA
VSG on 01/04/08 with
Great info.  thx.

Jane

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 4/6/09 2:49 pm - Newport Beach, CA
I start all my patients on ProCare nutritional supplementation.   This is because most patient will have deficiency of protein, amino acids, vitamin A, C, B1, B6, B12, folate, iron, zinc, selenium and a few other vitamins athta are not so important.  I reviewed this topic in a recent publication for Plastic Surgery Journal titled: Nutritional Deficiencies of Post-bariatric Body Contouring Patients: what every plastic Surgeon must know.  You can read the abstract on my site: http://www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/index.php/learning-center/articles-booklets/

All the mentioned vitamins are important in boosting your immue response and for optimal healing.  See: http://www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/index.php/plastic-surgery/post-bariatric-body-contouring/consultation/

This is the subject of my follow up publication in Plastic Surgery Journal that came out in December.  The reality is that the doses needed for optimal healing are much higher than a standard multi-vitamin.  The doses needed can be up to 10 X higher.  In my pratice, I have been able to reduce my patinet's complication rate by 1/2, using ProCare nutritional supplement.  This product is specifically formulated for the post-bariatric body contouring patient.  See http://www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/index.php/learning-center/enhanced-recovery-after-surgery/

Best wishes,

www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com
Siamak Agha MD PhD
Board Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society of Plastic Surgery
Specializing in Post-Bariatric Plastic Surgery
www.plasticsurgerycal.com

Most Active