Any one had stomach lipo with the band?

amyc
on 4/5/09 6:24 am - Jacksboro, TN
Revision on 02/28/12
I'm thinking about having liposuction on my fat roll above my belly button.   I have lap-band with a sternal port.   I'm assuming that the probe (or whatever the device is called) doesn't go deep enough to affect the port.(it's sewn into the abdominal wall with a tube connected to the band).  
I just wanted to see if anyone else with the band has had stomach lipo and if any precautions were taken because of the port.
I'm sure I will have many more questions.  My consult is May 18Th.   I'm not to goal yet and was concerned that I would not be  good candidate for lipo at this point.   I was able to talk to the Dr. during my Mom's post op tummy tuck appointment.    He is willing to do lipo on me at my current weight (219 at 5'8).    I will need a tummy tuck and a breast lift with implants later.  I still want one more baby, so I'm going to wait a while on that.    I'm just so disgusted with my "muffin top".   I wear my jeans so loose that I can pull them off without unbuttoning them.   If I wear anything tighter my fat roll is way bigger than my boobs!!!!
Thanks for reading if you made it this far.   I look forward to getting to know you all!
Amy

droth
on 4/5/09 12:13 pm
I had the Vertical Sleeve along with the LapBand.  I just had a LBL on Feb 27th and was fine.  I did, however, have my port removed a few months ago because I had lost so much weight that the port was protruding and getting in the way of everything.  I still have the "wiring" that is secured in my abdominal wall that hooks to the band.  Prior to my LBL my plastic surgeon sent me in for a CT Scan to rule out any obstructions (I also had an umbilical hernia which he repaired), he also wanted to see the placement of the lapband and the wire/cord so he knew exactly where to cut and lipo.  He took the CD with him in the OR.

Hope this helps!  Good luck!!

amyc
on 4/5/09 12:33 pm - Jacksboro, TN
Revision on 02/28/12
Thanks!  It does help.   I did mention my port and tubing when I talked to the PS before.  He didn't seem to think it would be a problem (but obviously I didn't believe him since I posted here lol).   I need to make sure he understands I will HURT him if he damages my port lol (my insurance doesn't cover WLS).  I think I will call my band surgeon and she what he suggests.
Thanks again,
Amy

DrL
on 4/6/09 6:17 am - Houston, TX

Hi.  My first concern is lipo only in a WLS patient.  My bet is that your "roll" is mainly excess skin, and not so much excess fat so I would be concerned that lipo would only offer a minimal improvement.

The lap band port is in the area where lipo would be done, and could theoretically be damaged although I've never heard of this. 

Another question for your docs is should you have the band unfilled before surgery ? Many of my bariatric colleagues insists on this, and I do prefer it s my patients can get the nutrition they need after surgery.

Keep us posted !

Best wishes,

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com

amyc
on 4/7/09 9:56 am - Jacksboro, TN
Revision on 02/28/12
Thanks DrL.  I will need a tummy tuck in the future, when I'm done having babies.   I asked the surgeon if my roll was fat or skin.  He said both, but that lipo would help with the volume. I've only lost about 50 pounds, so I don't have "major" skin issues.    I do understand that the roll will not be gone completely without a tummy tuck.   It will be at least 5 more years before I'll be able to have a TT, so for right now I believe lipo is my best option. 
I really don't won't to be unfilled!   I'm a self pay and also my band can be so fickle when it is filled/unfilled.   Obviously, I will do whatever my surgeons suggests. 
Thanks for your reply.
Amy

DrL
on 4/7/09 1:48 pm - Houston, TX
OK, I understand.  Is your weight stable now (bandsters can take 18 months or more to get there)? Just wondering if a little tweak with the band could get those last few inches off and avoid surgery !

As for unfilling the band, some docs want it opened, some do not.  For the larger surgeries (TT, LBL) I think it's important for nutrition ,and some docs feel it helps with nausea and also being able to take the pils postop.  With lipo only, you may not have those issues.  Happy healing ! 
Most Active