Blowhole Update and question

Kelly V.
on 4/8/09 12:31 am - Galion, OH
Ok, as many of you know I have a blowhole in my back at the top of my butt crack a little to the right.  Yep, I know I can only blame myself cause I shouldn't have done as much but anywho. 

I am still leaking fluids.  It has been 2 and a half weeks and I use a ABD pad with a towel behind me and I change it out every 2-3 hours.   My question is for those who had this type of problem did you pack the wound?  It doesn't look as if the wound is healing really and I know my protein is way down so I increased that to try to help.

I go to the surgeon today for my last check up before I go home.  I honestly think sometimes we get better suggestions here than they can give us.

I will say my surgeon did beautiful work.  My scars are so thin and almost invisible.  I will post pics as soon as I get back home to my camera.
akers123
on 4/8/09 8:57 am - Charlotte Hall, MD
I don't have many answers but I was curious what your Dr said today.  I thought I was going to have an open wound but the necrosis took so long to seperate, the swelling went down and my Dr was able to sew me back up!!  :)
Kristi Akers
Gastric Bypass - Feb 6, 2004
Lower Body Lift - Feb 25, 2009
Breast Lift/Lipo - Dec 7, 2009
Upper Body Lift/Arms - Feb 23, 2011

Kelly V.
on 4/8/09 10:22 am - Galion, OH
He said the wound looks really nice.  It is healing well and there are no signs of infections.  He won't sew me back up due to the positioning but it will close.  The leakage is getting less and I notice my swelling is going down so that may help.  He said I am struggling with healing because I am suffering from malnutrition.    My protein and my iron is low atm.
DrL
on 4/8/09 12:09 pm, edited 4/8/09 12:10 pm - Houston, TX
Number one cause for poor healing is inadequate nutrition.  So 100 extra grams of protein plus your non-protein calories are needed.  No way to heal without the fuel AND the building blocks (protein) to mend.  Remember, the incision yu see is 1/100th of what went on inside !

Other issues related to poor healing would be stress or pulling on the incsion, and infection.

So avoiding sitting and bending will help, and a culture to be sure there is not a bad bug (i.e. staph) will be helpful.

BTW, proper nutrition will boost your immune function and help fight infection.

This is a study on bedsores in elderly patients...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16837354

Malnutrition was related to more open wounds, and notice that anergy (which is failure of the immune system) is used to determine a person's nutritional status. Simple nutrition improved outcomes and skin immune fuction or reactivity: "Anergic patients had a higher mortality rate and more pressure sores than the reactive group. Nutritional supplementation was associated with an increase in skin reactivity." 

Message:  overcome some of the behavior patterns or food avoidance and control that helped you with your weight loss temporarily, so you can heal.

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active