Happy to be home

gypsywoman6789
on 4/9/09 7:05 am - Hudson, NH
So I had my panni removal just 2 days ago.  Came home last night and I'm so glad to be home.  Thankfully I only have 2 drains, they told me I would have 4.

They removed 7.5lbs of fat/skin, it is hard for me to imagine what this will look like when it is all healed.  Everyone keeps asking if I feel different but right now I don't feel any different because I'm all wrapped up in my binder so I haven't seen the new me just yet.

I had an anchor cut because I had both vertical and horizontal fat/skin deposits.  So it will be interesting to see if I am upset with the results of the scars or not.  I said I wouldn't mind the anchor since I'm not going to wear a bikini anyway but now that its done, I wonder what my reaction will be.

Did anyone have difficulty accepting the scars after the procedure?
whisperingliz
on 4/9/09 8:55 am - paramount, CA
Honestly, i'm happy with scars as long as I dont have that hanging skin. You know what's so wierd though?  Since I've only been out 2 weeks, i get itchy where my panni used to be, i feel like i need to lift the skin and scratch, hehehe, but I then i realize it's the healing of the wound.  Gotta get used to my new tummy.

So yes, scars are cool with me ,and I am MUCH MUCH happier now without my panni.

As far as bikinis, once you realize how happy you are with your new tummy you'll most l ikely start wearing sexy underwear. I never was able to wear cute bikinis (I wore granny panties) , so, a couple days ago i went and bought some bikinis, yep first time ever!  You'll see!, you can't say you never will! :)

Liz
shalee04
on 4/28/09 2:07 am - Bakersfield, CA
Isn't that a great feeling.  I never was able to wear bikini panties either, what was the use, you couldn't see them under my pannis,,,,

After TT I went out and have a whole drawer full now. It''s wonderful!! my hubby loves it too.

Enjoy!!!
cleos_mom
on 4/9/09 10:32 am - phila., PA
my PS says you have to substitute skin for scars .  which one you would rather have ?. I personally would rather  have a scar as long as it is thin. I have a scar all around my whole body but it is thin and not raised so it looks great, it sometimes takes months for the swelling to go down.
gypsywoman6789
on 4/9/09 10:28 pm - Hudson, NH
I know 100% that I'd rather have the scar than the panni but it's just such a weird feeling to all of the sudden have this "part" of your body removed.  I was trying to explain to my husband how it's kinda like an amputee who still feels like their limb is still there, I think they call it "ghost sensations"  because you are so accustomed to having this, that even once it is removed mentally you still "think" it is there.  Takes a while to adjust I suppose.

Oh and I will definitely wear bikini undies, just not a bikini on the beach.  I took a shower last night so it was the first time I actually saw my incisions and they really look pretty good so I'm sure I'll be just fine as time passes and they start to fade some. I know I can't wait to try on clothes because my legs were a size 8/10 but my belly was a 12/14 and it drove me absolutely crazy.

This has been an amazing journey from pre GB surgery until now and I really am thankful for all the people on OH that share their stories, good, bad, and ugly, to give all of us perspective that can only be gained by people who have been there and done that.  Our surgeons and hospitals are fantastic but they can only prepare you for so much if they haven't experienced it first hand themselves.

mom23reds
on 4/10/09 6:09 am - Bryan, TX
I had hernia repair and tummy tuck/panniculectomy on Wednesday. I didn't get home until today, but I'm doing ok so far. I've made it to the bathroom, emptied both JP drains (one is already down to about 15 ml) and gotten myself installed on the bed for a while. My binder is a four panel binder but it keeps rolling up when I sit down so the incision isn't always covered all the way.

The doctor took off 8.6 lbs of skin. Wow! That's more than my first child weighed (she only weighed 8.5 lbs). Lortab elixir is my friend.

160 lbs lost after gastric bypass (with more still to lose) and now the panniculectomy and hernia repair. Time to go back to la-la land.

Rapid haling vibe

(deactivated member)
on 4/10/09 8:32 pm
malynn
on 4/11/09 3:51 am
Scars dont really bother me either but the skin hanging over my belly button does.  I had RNY about 7 yrs ago and it was initially donelaparoscopically but after finding a leak the doc had to go back and cut me open from belly button up to between my boobs.  Im not really bothered by that scar and its right in the middle of my stomach.  Im sure once you get used to not having the hanging skin then the scar will not even bother you.

Im having a tummy tuck on April 20th and I am so excited!  Can't wait to look in the mirror and not see saggy yuck skin. 
Most Active