How much does excess skin weigh?

Meg_S
on 5/21/11 5:22 am - Natick, MA
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can tell me approximately how much the excess skin weighs? I started at 272, I am currently 142, my goal is 125 and I am 5'5". I have saggy skin on my neck, upper arms (not too terrible but ugly), my upper inner thighs (kind of like drapes) and my tummy. The skin on my whole body just looks too big now (have alot of muscle definition but you can't tell with the skin) but people are telling me I am too thin. I think I would be where I want to be if the skin was gone but not being ready for or able to pay for plastic surgery I keep chasing the number on the scale (and the clothing size). I figure I can lose my way to a size 6 or 8 even if I don't have plastics for awhile. Is this possible? Does this make sense? Does the excess skin weigh about 20-25 lbs?

Thanks!

Highest weight = 272, surgery weight = 240, goal weight = 135   

laurak712
on 5/21/11 6:56 am - New Braunfels, TX
Well I think everybody's different and it depends on how much fat is attached to the skin.  With my lower body lift/breast lift the skin weighed less than 3 pounds.  My highest weight was about 240 and I went in to surgery at 142.  I'm 5"7.  My current weight is 134/ size 4 clothes.  Some peoples skin weighs much more though.

Laura

Height 5' 7

avidreader
on 5/21/11 8:52 am - Cary, NC
I am 5 feet tall even - I went from 240 at surgery to 139 1 year later - I just had a TT and he removed  8 1/2 pounds of skin and fat.  20-25 pounds sounds like a lot, but I would guess it's possible. 

Good luck!

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
cleos_mom
on 5/21/11 9:42 pm - phila., PA
I very much doubt it, excess skin does not weigh much now if there is fat attached to it and is removed , I lost 105 lbs and had 8lbs of fat & skin removed.

if you were over 400 lbs u may have 20 lbs of skin & fat , but u were a light weight.
Good Luck
Susan
jtsmom02
on 5/21/11 9:48 pm - Mineola, TX
I am about 5 4.  I was 250 and now stay around 160.  From my surgery last week, the doctor removed 5 lbs of fat and skin (abdomen and breasts). 

My PS pre-op said it doesn't weigh as much as you think it does.  But I was happy with the 5 lbs.  For me, the number on the scale / size of my clothes are not my measure of satisfaction, but they are important! 

Hope my information is somewhat helpful! 

Laina B.
250 / 160
9/9/03 Lap RNY
(Dr Charles Beall, Tyler TX - AWESOME!!!)
5/13/11 Cholecystectomy, extended abdominoplasty (anchor cut), and mastopexy
(Dr Charles Beall and Dr James Saar, Tyler TX - AWESOME!!!)
8/26/11 Abdominoplasty revision
(Dr James Saar, Tyler TX - AWESOME!!!)

Laura in Texas
on 5/21/11 9:59 pm
For you, no, I do not think your excess skin would weigh more than 7-8 pounds tops. Between 5-10 seems to be about average from what I've read.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

NoMore B.
on 5/21/11 11:14 pm
 I doubt very much your excess skin weighs that much.  I lost 140 pounds to goal, and mine weighed just under 9 pounds.

What might make a difference, though, is since the majority of it is all off your belly, you could go down the a good number of inches in your tummy that might be the equivalent of losing 20 overall pounds in your body, if that makes sense.  For example, the 8 pounds you might be carrying could be 3-4 inches of waist measurement.  
avidreader
on 5/22/11 5:54 am - Cary, NC
On May 22, 2011 at 6:14 AM Pacific Time, Joanne B. wrote:
 I doubt very much your excess skin weighs that much.  I lost 140 pounds to goal, and mine weighed just under 9 pounds.

What might make a difference, though, is since the majority of it is all off your belly, you could go down the a good number of inches in your tummy that might be the equivalent of losing 20 overall pounds in your body, if that makes sense.  For example, the 8 pounds you might be carrying could be 3-4 inches of waist measurement.  
Very true statement.  I carried all my weight in my belly, had 8.5 pounds removed and have gone down about 6 inches in my waist (I actually now have one) - my pants literally slip down around my hips are huge in the front where my panni previously took up space.  Now if I could do something about the "girls" - but that probably will not happen.

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
Iam_with_the_Band
on 5/23/11 7:48 am
I have to agree with the others.  I think we assume the skin weighs a lot and it really doesn't.  I lost 13lbs with my first phase and I am having my second round tomorrow.  I doubt he'll take much off as far as weight, just a lot of skin.

I've lost quite a bit and my skin didn't weigh much more than the others who last less. 

I hate BMI scales but what is your "normal" weight range for your height?  I'm 5-10 and mine is 135-175.  It's a big range and I think I would be bone skinny at 135.  Not everyone is meant to weigh what the BMI scales suggest. I think it depends on our body types.  I am very large framed.  I think 170 would be perfect for me.  Maybe your friends are right.  You look great at your current weight.  Right now your BMI is 23.

You have to do what feels healthy for you.  Don't allow a new addiction to the scale dictate your life now.  Enjoy where you are!  You've done great!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Renee2007
on 5/23/11 1:10 pm - Central, FL
 I am thinking of you and wishing the best. Please keep me updated!

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Most Active